Do you get dry mouth too?

Options
I had to get back on the low carb diet, and I always have sort of a dry mouth while eating this way. I always have a glass of water next to me, but I was wondering if anyone else notices this and how you deal with it. Also, why does this happen?

Replies

• SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too. I don't know why though. I always have something to drink with me.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hummm... I haven't really noticed this, but I almost have a beverage of some kind with me at all times. I've always been like that. It used to be diet soda, but now it's water. :) I suppose, in a way, it could be a good thing - it will help you drink those billion gallons of water we're supposed to drink every day! (Which I find difficult to do, even with having a beverage with me at all times all day long!) Glass half full? (No pun intended!)
  • ronellevan
    Options
    I'm the same.
    I think it is a side effect of ketosis.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    A doctor told me a low carb diet requires drinking more water than usual or it can lead to constipation. I used to have dry mouth but I've upped my fresh veggie and fruit intake and have no issues.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Frequent Urination and Excessive Thirst
    In the initial stages of a high-protein diet, you will very likely experienced increased urinary frequency. According to a "Self Magazine" article, large amounts of protein in the diet have a diuretic effect on the body. Nitrogen is a byproduct of protein metabolism and is toxic to the body. The body responds to the presence of nitrogen by pulling water water from its tissues to flush out the nitrogen, which results in frequent urination and excessive thirst. As your body adapts to the high-protein diet, your thirst and urination levels normalize.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/262206-short-term-effects-of-a-high-protein-diet/#ixzz1qyd9SC3z

I have a 64oz plastic jug on my desk that gets filled once in the morning, and again after lunch. Thats not counting the water I have in the morning or when I get home at night.. 8-)
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    But I've been eating this way for months and I'm STILL super-thirsty! I try to eat more high fat than high protein, too (macros around 60/35 fat/protein, although I don't measure). I feel much better eating fatty meat than lean.

Anyway, I put my thirst down to ketosis, and given I've been at this more or less consistently since October, it seems to be a permanent side-effect. *shrug*