New to Low Carb!!

Options
JulieSue
JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
I am sooooooooooo new to Low Carb and I am struggling!! What are some tips to remember!!! and what can I eat?!?!?! Like I know the majority of it but I am having a hard time with side dishes!!!! :)

Replies

• Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I'm a paleoish/primalish low-carber myself, so basically completely avoiding grains and all processed foods definiitely makes low-carbing easier. I've been eating "low-carb" for quite a long time. I'm maintaining now, so my carb intake varies from 25-100 gram a day- but coming from veggies and fruit.

Anyway, here's kind of a run down of the last few days to give you and idea of how I find variety:

Yesterday
    Breakfast: 2 large brown eggs and one small avocado, coffe with unsweeted almond milk and some stevia
    Lunch: smoked salmon, pistachios, and another small avocado, unsweetened iced tea
    Dinner: baked chicken breasts with pesto sauce and kale and mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil
    Night snack/dessert: 1/2 cup strawberries and 1/2 cup blueberries

Sunday
    Breakfast: 1/2 cup blueberries, 4 pieces uncured bacon, 2 large brown eggs
    No lunch, afternoon snack of raw almonds
    Dinner: Ground beef with chopped green, yellow, orange, and red bell peppers cooked in a (sugar free) tomato sauce with italian seasoning (it's like an uber meaty italian sauce- who needs pasta??)

Today I plan
    Brunch: 4 pieces of bacon, 3 large brown eggs
    Dinner: brocolli slaw with olive oil and vinegar, tuna with dijon mustard, and cup of strawberries
    When I get home from work at 10pm I'll probably have some pistachios or almonds before bed.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!

I read somewhere that if it had a face, or grew from the ground it's good for you. I'm relatively new to this as well, but some of the people here have amazing recipes!!! Last night for dinner I made a pork tenderloin with a red wine/heavy cream/cherry sauce, on top of a bed of shredded zuchinni and bacon, that I sauteed in the bacon fat....:bigsmile:

Heck, I can take any veggie, and sautee it with bacon fat or coconut oil....very very tasty!

Take a peak at some of the older postings....you'd be surprised as to some of the great ideas on here!
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    thanks so much!!! I am havinga hard time with this cause I love SWEETS!!! and FRUITS (hell lets be honest I love carbs too BUT I find myself craving fruits and sweets more) any suggestiosn?????
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time because I cannot get my calories or fats low enough. I know the problem is that I love cheese for snacks so my fat count is always to high. I am supposed to be at 2,160 Calories / Day, Fat / Day 72 g, and Protein / Day 81 g. Today i was around 2600 calories, 122 carbs, 171 fat, and 166 protein. This is only week 2 for me but I definitely have to find some snack alternatives besides mozzarella, mimolette, and brie.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I would say that if you're new to low carbing or still in induction phase, try not eat too much protein. Protein can be converted to glucose. Don't shy away from fats. ESPECIALLY coconut oil, macadamia nuts, and avocados. Drizzle olive oil on everything. Good luck. After the sugar and carbs leave your system, you will feel so much better and have less cravings and less hunger.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Like Meganne - I eat towards a Primal/Paleo and within that skew on the lower carb/sugar side...when I really watch it I am about 50-60 grams a day...right now I am taking a "break" - which for me means about 100 grams a day

Your best bet is to research fruits and veggies - some fruits like berries are lower in carbs and sugar than something like a Banana....Veggies can have various amounts of carbs/sugars too...for the most part I choose fruits and veggies on the lower end of carbs and sugars and use the higher ones as "splurge" treats....

I have found my best bet when I am really watching and trying to skew towards the lower end - lots of veggies and a serving of nuts as snacks - limit fruit to one serving a day (for me this is usually frozen blueberries...let thaw just a bit and pop in your mouth - although you may have to try some different brands...I just bought a bag of frozen Wild Blueberries...they are ok but a lot smaller then the Kroger organic brand I bought last time - I can't wait until the summertime when I can pick and freeze my own)

Veggies - I found red peppers give a nice crunch and sweetness, I like to slice cucumbers thin and let them sit in a bit of vinagar and then drain it and add a dash of salt...ROASTING veggies...OMG I wish I had time every night to roast veggies...delicious....broccili, caulflower, brussle sprouts.

If you google primal/paleo recipes you can get a lot of great recipes that are going to be primarily lower carb because there are no grains involved....
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Twinmom1 roasting veggies is a good idea.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    little squares of uber dark chocolate (I like 88% cacao) help with sweet cravings, BUT while you're getting used to low carb, I suggest really pushing to avoid all sweets and fight those cravings because that's the only way you'll get past them. It's like any physical addiction. Once you've gotten yourself accustomed to not having sugar in your diet you won't miss it as much. I promise. I pretty much only get crazy chocolate cravings during my lady times, so that's when the chocolate comes in handy. Also, I'd be willing to share with you some great baking recipes I have. I make gluten free muffins with either coconut, flax, or almond flour. I sweeten with stevia. They are high in fat, high in fiber, very low in sugar :)
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this as well, I really love houmous and raw vegetables as well as almonds. I tried out wholegrain bread today which is low GI/carbs and I feel alot fuller. I don't see any problem with a little piece of chocolate a day. I'm having noodles for tea with roast vegetables and prawns.. but I think this is rather bad.. I'm not sure though ... a little guidance would be appreciated.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    thanks so much!!! I am havinga hard time with this cause I love SWEETS!!! and FRUITS (hell lets be honest I love carbs too BUT I find myself craving fruits and sweets more) any suggestiosn?????
    I can only tell you that the Atkins site suggested I add fish oil to my diet. I take 2 1200 mg fish oil capsules twice a day in the morning and at night and it does seem to help the cravings. I'm not craving chocolate or sweets nearly as bad as I was. I am a definite chocoholic. I need a meeting.