Need some advice on turning

Options
rides4sanity
rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
I am a decent rider, I can hold pace on the flats and not get dropped on the climbs, but I an terrified of turning especially on a downhill. I'm losing a ton of time because I ride my brakes and swear all the way down the hills. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Replies

• Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Are you clipped in? That's what throws me the most frickin clips, specially with multiple turns. I do better out of clips because I can get my foot out for balance.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Yes I'm clipped. Down hills I usually ride feet level, knees against the tube for stability, its great for straight.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about road cycling or?
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Yes, I'm a roadie. I live in WV so I ride my share of hills, I just can't seem to get a grip on the turn if I have any sort of speed.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Thanks for the link cohophysh
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Are you clipped in? That's what throws me the most frickin clips, specially with multiple turns. I do better out of clips because I can get my foot out for balance.

^This ! balance with my foot, and just let go of the fear
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would help to try out mountain biking on some local single track. It would help to make you a lot more comfortable with turning and braking. Also, cross training on a mountain bike uses a whole different set of muscles which would help with overall fitness levels. Just a thought.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Thanks all, TRH I've been thinking about mountain biking just for that reason, thanks for the reinforcement. Otherwise I'm just trying to tail the "A's" on out club rides and follow their line, it scares the crap out of me but I've stayed up right.
  • diddidit
    diddidit Posts: 18
    Options
    Nothing's better than swooping down a hill - but you have to develop the confidence. There's two major techniques, and they apply to both road and off-road riding:

1. Outside foot down, and press that outside foot down.
    2. Look in to the turn - the bike goes where you look, so don't look at what you are trying to miss! Don't look at the ground under you either, it's too late to do anything about that!

Beyond that, don't death-grip the bars and keep your body loose and relaxed. Tense up and you can't flow around corners, all you can do if you're a board is go straight into a tree. Using your foot for balance sounds like a recipe for disaster - I'm assuming you're talking about dragging it on the ground, there, but even if you're not it belongs on the pedal where it can contribute to your stability.

did
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Nothing's better than swooping down a hill - but you have to develop the confidence. There's two major techniques, and they apply to both road and off-road riding:

1. Outside foot down, and press that outside foot down.
    2. Look in to the turn - the bike goes where you look, so don't look at what you are trying to miss! Don't look at the ground under you either, it's too late to do anything about that!

Beyond that, don't death-grip the bars and keep your body loose and relaxed. Tense up and you can't flow around corners, all you can do if you're a board is go straight into a tree. Using your foot for balance sounds like a recipe for disaster - I'm assuming you're talking about dragging it on the ground, there, but even if you're not it belongs on the pedal where it can contribute to your stability.

did
    [/quote

Your right confidence is a biggie, and I learned 2 the hard way. Thanks!