C25K phone app to measure mileage instead of time

Options
gersoco
gersoco Posts: 155 Member
Do you guys know of a C25K phone app that prompts you when you've run or walked a specific distance?

There's two ways to do C25K. The most common way is to run/walk the times. The other way is to run/walk the mileages. I'm doing the latter. I have a pretty cool 'droid app that displays distances but I have to keep looking at it to check if I ran 1/2 mi, walked 1/4 mi, and so on. I just did Wk4-D1.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hopefully some people chime in with responses, since I know there are a lot of running apps out there.

Early in my C25K journey I used RunKeeper and about halfway through I switched to RunMeter. Neither app is made specifically for C25K, but both allow you to program in workout guidelines based on time OR distance (or a combination of both, or other things such as target pace etc) and give you verbal prompts to guide you through the workout. They're both good apps. RunKeeper is tied to a website with social features similar to MFP, and RunMeter is "standalone" on your phone. The RunKeeper site is nice and can be accessed for free, but you have to pay to get some of the reports on your running data. I found both apps easy to use and I had no problem setting up my C25K runs in either app in just a few minutes.

I have an iPhone, but I believe both apps are available for Android. And like I said, I'm sure there are many others that would foot the bill.

Oh, and of interest to MFP: both estimate calorie burn on workouts. No idea how accurate they are of course. And they also have other cool features as well. For example in RunMeter I have it set up to compete against myself so it tells me if I'm running slower or faster (and by how much) than my best, average, or worst runs. It helps me keep improving each time I run.

*Edited to add: a nice thing with both is that after you finish C25K, you can keep using the same app as you continue running.
  • lauralye82
    lauralye82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cardio trainer is an awesome android app that you can set to announce your distance at specific intervals.
  • caramelbaloney
    Options
    I really like RunDouble, which has specific C25K and 5 to 10K options. You can choose either distance or time intervals, but the first three weeks of C25K will still be time based. It runs in the background; a voice chimes in to your music to tell you when to run or walk, along with pace and distance for the interval, average pace, and total distance so far. It also provides warm-up and cooldown segments (which can be skipped) and announces when you're halfway, so you know when to turn around. It saves maps and stats for your intervals on each day. It is free through the first two weeks of the program, but I definitely think it's worth the dollar or whatever it costs after that.
  • gersoco
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions.. I'm going to go to app store now to try some out.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Another vote for runkeeper. It takes a few minutes to input the program, but after that it's great! I like that you can set it for mileage or time. I'm thinking about doing mileage as well.
  • gersoco
    Options
    OK. I've tried out all of the apps mentioned here that were available on Android Market.
    The running app that I really like is RunKeeper.

I can configure mileage splits for c25k AND its auditory reminder is loud enough for me to hear.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'll have to download runkeeper. I'm finishing C25K tonight and I've been using the C25K app which will be useless after today. I have an app called iMapMyRun but I haven't tested it yet.