Anyone ever get heartburn from too much fat?

Options
saintsfanatik
saintsfanatik Posts: 68 Member
I'm doing a couple of high-fat "fat fast" days to shake up my keto eating plan, and break some stalling of my weight loss. I've gone to nearly 80% fat, 16% protein, and 4%carbs--all out of whack from the 65/30/5 I normally strive for.

Yesterday, when I went to bed, it felt like I had all of the food I ate all day backed up to the bottom of my esophagus. You know the feeling--you ate too much, and you're on the verge of hurling, but not quite?

Has anyone felt this before on a fat fast?

Replies

• jasonchance
    jasonchance Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My experience has been almost the complete opposite. Granted, I don't think I've ever managed to get that high on the fat, but when I ate a high carb diet I constantly had acid reflux, couldn't eat anything hot or spicy, and had to take Prilosec every day just to be able to lie down without stomach acid shooting up my throat.

Since I've started a keto diet I have none of that. I regularly eat peppers and spicy food like pepperoni that I could have never eaten before, have no problems with acid reflux, and don't even need to take the heart burn pill every day.

I've often wondered if it was the carbs doing it, fried foods or vegetable oil (hard to eat much fried / breaded food on a keto diet, and most of my "oils" are from animal fats / butter now), the fact that I've lost a little weight, or some combination of the above to blame.
  • wtsteede
    wtsteede Posts: 4
    Options
    I am the opposite too. I was eating 6-10 tums a day to suppress the heat burn I was getting after every meal. Now I am down to just 2 before bed. I feel like I don't even need them, but it is an old habit to break.

Personally, I think the heart burn was caused by over-eating more then anything else.
  • jchapstick
    jchapstick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i've had lots of heartburn since keto, though I suspect it's because I haven't cut back on the coffee and tea. most people seem to get rid of their heartburn with keto. wish i could find some sugar-free antacids in my local pharmacy. i've taken to mixing baking soda and water.