Help I am hungry all the time

Options
TraciLee36
TraciLee36 Posts: 32 Member
I don't know what to do I have been hungry like all the time. When I do eat I measure out my food then about an hour or so later I am hungry. I have been drinking all my fluids I get about 12 cups or more of water a day and I still want more food. When I eat cheese or almonds it fills me up as a snack but I still want more.

Replies

• tmalina
    tmalina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hmm..Are you drinking with your meals? This can cause hunger because the liquid helps push food out of the pouch faster. Also, you may need to ask yourself are you really hungry, or is it just "head hunger"? I've been struggling with head hunger quite a bit.
  • pavshop
    pavshop Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Traci, I forgot. Are you pre or post surgery? Talk with your Dr and nutritionist. Meanwhile, get involved with something other than hanging out near food. Go for a walk, read, knit, etc.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I type....which is why sometimes I have 100 posts on here, cause I am avoiding the temptation and keeping my mind busy.
  • linguist98
    Options
    WHEN WAS YOUR SURG...WHAT TYPE...ETC?...
  • stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I call it "Fat Brain", my body really isn't hungry but my head is. Keep busy and keep drinking water.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Try upping your protein. Make a schedule and do not allow yourself to eat in-between scheduled meals. You have to develop healthy habits now to lose the weight and keep it off. You may just be "bored". find something else to do to keep your mind off food.
  • TraciLee36
    TraciLee36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a sleeve done on 12/28/2011. I have talked with the Dr.and she gave me some ideas to help me out. Thank you for helping to try and get through this
  • cemetaryrose
    cemetaryrose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. I just sit at work and I can't do anything with my hands and a lot of the time we just sit there and stare at the lobby (bank teller so we don't actually have any other things to do to keep us busy) and I realize I fall back on the boredom hunger or the craving a snack type of feeling. I know it's in my head... just trying to figure out ways to beat it. Any suggestions?
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Adding protein and cutting carbs really helps me with hunger. Of course, I don't like protein much, but it does help if I can stick to it. The more carbs I get, the hungrier I get. I'm definitely addicted to carbs, and it's been my downfall many times.

My stomach also growls a lot (I have the band). When that happens, I drink lots of water.
  • Merideth1
    Merideth1 Posts: 19
    Options
    I agree with adding more protien. I began eating "slider foods". Anything that slid right through was great. Many of those items are really bad, ice cream, cookies, pudding, yogurt, soup, basically anything soft. Now I make sure my protien is a shake or meat. I tried Quinoa and it was horrible but seems like it would be a great protien. I don't have have much luck with eggs, bread is okay in small amounts and sometimes meat gives me a problem if it's to dry. Anyone else have any foods that really stumps you?
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Right now bananas are the one thing I stay away from. I've gotten stuck on some things but at other times can eat them if I'm careful, like chicken (too fast), rice, bread, noodles, Ritz crackers, hamburger buns, water (too cold or too fast).
  • cemetaryrose
    cemetaryrose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have some issues with sweet tea (especially if it's too sugary), but my main problems lie with turkey breast, chicken and ground beef. I have to be VERY careful when I eat them because they will often get stuck and cause problems.

And thank you all for the suggestions. I'm going to have to try that. I'm a carbs and starch addict (potatoes and other wonderful goodies) and it really is hard trying to adjust away from all these wonderful goodies.
  • cheekymonkeyface
    cheekymonkeyface Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I had my surgery (RNY) June 2010 and recently i could eat for England. I find that if i eat pure protein, e.g chicken breast - steak something with substance i cant eat much, but you make me a double sandwich with meat and salad in and i can manage a yoghurt too. However give me meat/salad without the carbs it fills me.

I think hunger is real for a lot of us. I also think we get confused with 'slider' food and assume it's rubbish like ice cream/crisps/chocolate etc. When in actual fact lasagna is a classic slider food, not much substance and easily digested.

I, for the record, can eat most foods and have been able to from first eating. Eggs used to stump me initially but now they don't bother me at all. Chocolate does not make me dump, actually nothing makes me dump although milky coffee made with semi skimmed or full fat milk can give me a warm flush...

I envy dumpers and those who say they don't feel hunger anymore..

Julie x