Substitutes for lunges and squats?

I was told by my surgeon that I can no longer do lunges and squats unless I want to have a total knee replacement. Does anyone have any ideas of what exercises I can do instead of the lunges and squats? He said that jumping exercises are fine just not anything that requires weight bearing on bent knees, pushups are okay.

Replies

• theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    I don't have any suggestions, but I will tell you that I think this program is pretty tough on knees. There are moves that you do while on your knees, going from the knees to standing, lots of jumping, and going from being on your knees to sitting on the back of your feet. I don't want to discourage anyone from working out, but I would really look into this program before paying the money for it because I think you'll have to substitute A LOT unfortunately. :(
  • roander
    roander Posts: 191 Member
    I totally agree. Maybe there should be a disclaimer somewhere that this may not be the best program for people with knee problems.
  • luv2luau
    luv2luau Posts: 5
    Thank you so much for your reply. Although I would love to do the program, I think I will have to pass and find something that is easier on the knees. Good luck with your fitness plan.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    I agree with them. Maybe some pilates or yoga would be good strength workouts for you? Maybe someone in here knows if Jillian's 6 week 6 pack would be good for that. there are just so many lunges and squats in this program!
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    When I injured my ankle, I did 6 Week 6 Pack. it's difficult and 30 minutes. I don't remember the specific exercises, but I know I just substituted when they bothered my ankle. You could try that program....
  • luv2luau
    luv2luau Posts: 5
    I could definitely use a 6 pack or even be able to see beyond all the belly fat! Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    I have learned to modify just about every exercise immagineable since being diagnosed with MS in 2003.

For lunges~ maybe just try to march in place, lifting the knees as high as you can.

For Squats~stand up straight, hands on hips~ use the wall for balance issues~with a straight leg and flexed foot, swing your leg back till you feel it in your butt~ it won't be as far as you think.

Also, just doing a LITTLE squat or lunge will do SOME of what the move is supposed to do.

It would be a shame to miss out on the whole series for a couple moves!