HELP! My feet hurt after treadmill workout

Options
I have good running shoes, I got fitted for them at our local running store. EVERYTIME I do the treadmill for more than a mile, or if I go above a 3.0 pace (no matter if I do a mile or less even) my feet across the top hurts me for days!!! I have tried tying the front of the shoe, middle and ankle area loose, tight, medium, nothing helps.. .I get so discouraged because I WANT to exercise more but the pain is too much.

I have tried my cheaper running shoes and they aren't any better, or worse. So tell me those of you who have to lose 100+ how do you do it and not have foot pain!!?!?

Replies

• SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I can't give advice as I'm only walking, when I attempt to run I feel like I'm going to die :laugh: Sorry I hope someone can give you some better help :) hehe
  • TammyG39
    TammyG39 Posts: 34
    Options
    oh I'm still walking!! 3.0 is just a fast walk, for me anyway.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Have you ever felt this pain while not on a treadmill (e.g. walking for long periods of time outside, at the mall, cleaning the house, etc.)?

Can you describe the pain in more detail (e.g. sharp, dull,. constant vs. intermittent, etc.)? And where exactly does it hurt on the top of your foot?
  • TammyG39
    Options
    Yes, I feel the pain whenever I do consistent walking for a long period of time, but I usually only do that on the treadmill. The pain is the top of my foot from about an inch below the ankle to about 3/4" before my toes start. Sorta where the top bone is.. if that makes any sense. The pain extends left to right across the top until just when the top of the foot turns into the side of the foot.
    The pain feels much worse when I try to walk after a workout, versus when I'm sitting still, and its pretty consistent pressurized pain, like something is squishing my foot.

I hope this helped a little!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I wonder if walking if walking is causing your foot/arch to collapse. You can be fitted for orthotics if that is the case. My feet have become flatter due to my weight, but I think I have gotten used to it. Would it be possible for you to see a podiatrist? If not (or to seek a temporary solution, Dr. Scholl's has orthotic kiosks in many stores now (I have recently seen one in Wal-mart) that can actually recommend an orthotic for you based on measurements of your foot.
  • TammyG39
    Options
    I wonder if walking if walking is causing your foot/arch to collapse. You can be fitted for orthotics if that is the case. My feet have become flatter due to my weight, but I think I have gotten used to it. Would it be possible for you to see a podiatrist? If not (or to seek a temporary solution, Dr. Scholl's has orthotic kiosks in many stores now (I have recently seen one in Wal-mart) that can actually recommend an orthotic for you based on measurements of your foot.

Thanks for your ideas, it is so ironic, because my bf and I just saw a commercial last night about the Dr Scholl's kiosks and were wondering were they were.. and if that might help me.. I am going to get a referral to the Pod, just to make sure there is nothing beyond just the pounding of all this weight on my feet.
  • sorchagriannon
    Options
    I'll agree with the poster above. It sounds like you need a good arch support. The bigger we are, the harder the arches fall I guess. I have the same problem off and on.
    IF the orthotics don't help, I would go see the doctor. If you went from sedentary to active quickly, your bones may have small stress fractures in them due to the increased pressure.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My right foot kills after I do more walking than normal, so I went to orthopedic doctor and was diagnosed with arthrist!! At 38 years old!! He prescribed an anti-inflamitory but I had to stop taking it becacuse it caused extreme water retention in my case.

Ibuprofin might help if you can tollerate it for inflamation if its just not a shoe/support problem.

My coworker heard on the radio yesterday that for every pound you lose its like four less pounds of pressure on your feet....so the more we lose the better it will get!!
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    How long have you been jogging/working on the treadmill? I started jogging and it took me at least 3-4 weeks for my feet and knees to adjust to the impact.