Tips for starting out - C25k equivelant?

Options
2»

Replies

• trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the followups,

For the software, I finally settled on MapMyRide and thats worked pretty well so far at mapping and calculating distances / calories etc. Cadence and HRM would be nice additions, and I think they support some of the HRM gadgets for integration. If you get crazy after a ride, the Google Earth fly-over playback of your trip is pretty cool. (Yes, I am a geek)

For the hands, I will need to check those gloves out, thanks for the suggestion. I got a pair of cheapo gloves that helped some, but the real trick was some bar extensions. Looked at a couple videos and realized I could slide my grip shifters in enough to accommodate the bar ends. Since I added those I've been able to extend my rides out to almost 25 miles. Still not into the 50 mile range like a lot of you guys, but a huge improvement from the 5-6 I started with a few weeks back.

Now my tailbone is letting me know its time to quit after 90 minutes or so..... Is cycling just a never ending puersuit of what the next body-part to complain will be?! ;)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options

snip

... Is cycling just a never ending puersuit of what the next body-part to complain will be?! ;)

Yep - it never hurts any less, you just go faster and further.
  • iTswape
    iTswape Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had a very similar problem with my last bike (a Surly long haul trucker). I was used to the more upright ride of a mountain bike frame and every part of my body screamed in agony with the drop handlebars. My husband and I had planned a cycling vacation at Acadia national park in Maine to test out my new bike and I was in tears after 20 miles on our first day from pain in my hands and my lower back. I stumbled into a bicycle shop and explained my problem to the owner. Thirty minutes later I walked out with a new pair of gloves, a new stem, and no more problems with numb hands or hand pain. I rode that bike across Africa, from Cairo to Cape Town the following year!

As for the sore bum, are you wearing cycling shorts? I resisted the spandex look for awhile but if you plan to go on long rides you really need them. I don't bother for my 7km commute to work, but definitely wear them on my weekend mountain biking rides. I am self conscious about how tight they are so usually wear a pair of shorts over them. My husband also hates the tight spandex look, his chamois is built into what looks like a normal pair of shorts from the outside - like this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/809765/novara-metro-gel-double-bike-shorts-mens
  • bassnutter
    bassnutter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with the use of bar ends, i use mine all the time because they are so comfortable, plus they are extremely helpful when climbing. just like riding on the hoods but without the drops.
    Padded gloves and good quality padded bar tape or soft rubber grips are just what you need for some serious mileage or time spent in the saddle.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Can check out different seats for saddle soreness, making sure that you have support where you need it.

Also consider ergonomic grips. I don't like much padding in my gloves, so changing grips has really helped. (I use Ergon, but there are many brands/types out there now).

For distances, a nice solid 10% increase in volume (time or distance) week to week is a good place to start