Not working for me.

Options
Yesterday was the first day I did my first workout and I loved that, and i tried to eat well yesterday but failed. So today i was determinded to eat amazing and do everything right. I was seriously feeling so good bragging to my husband that ive kept my carbs in check and ive almost reached my protein goal, and then i realized ****...i've only eaten a little under 1000 calories. How am i suppose to make that work? High calorie low carb..i can't eat nuts as some people suggested. I mean this 40/30/30 is way to difficult to me! Because it is 40/30/30 of my total calorie and not just each meal..? My good feeling about today just went down the drain i know once again im going over my carbs...

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    is there any particular reason you are restricting your carbs?

i have gluten issues and i'm not a big fan of rice, potatoes or oatmeal, so i can understand how sometimes it's hard to eat enough calories when i'm essentially just eating meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit, but here are some easy things to throw into your meal plans that will help with calories

avocadoes, greek yogurt (can be used either like regular yogurt that you sweeten with fruit or jam, or can be used like sour cream), eggs, chicken thigh, turkey, salmon, tilapia, tofu, lamb, sardines.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I actually have the opposite problem, I'm also doing 40/30/30 yet finding it hard to reach my carbs goal, and hard to stay under my fats. I usually hit my protein. I found for me, it was hard to adjust to a lower-carb lifestyle the first couple of weeks, but now I am used to eating under 100g of carbs per day.

Also, the jury's out on 40/30/30, it's not a 'one size fits all' macro plan. I'm struggling with it too in general, and might change it.

You are in an adjustment period, try to stick through it if it's important to you :smile:
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Have a look at some of our food diaries for ideas. I struggle most days as I don't eat meat (only fish), so i usually have a protein shake. Actually today i had to have 2 cos my protein powder is crap, and i was way under anyway!
  • igoharder92
    Options
    yeah im deff going to have to start looking because it seems so impossible to me! My life like revolves around carbs it seems lol i want this work! ill look around if not ill just lift and try to eat the best i can
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just aim for it and refuse to kick myself when I fall short. I rarely make protien and usually hit fat/carb. But I've more then doubled the protein I was eating 2 months ago so it's getting there.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are making this way more complicated that it need to be :) try to get as close to possible. Try to get between 0.6 and 1 g of protein by pound of lean mass weight. For me it is between 60 and 100g of proteins. The rest just do your best.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others said.

I just aim for the protein - for me that means trying to have protein with each meal/snack and or supplementing with a shake when need be. I don't worry too much about carbs but do manage to keep them under 50%. My fat varies but again, I'm not too concerned about that if I get close to my protein.

Your diary isn't open or I would try to make some suggestions to help :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Have a look at some of our food diaries for ideas. I struggle most days as I don't eat meat (only fish), so i usually have a protein shake. Actually today i had to have 2 cos my protein powder is crap, and i was way under anyway!
    Pescetarian here too. I'm finding the only way to reach my protein goal is to take supplements (powder, bars). I've never in my life tried to eat a high protein diet before. It's harder than I thought it would be.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You are making this way more complicated that it need to be :) try to get as close to possible. Try to get between 0.6 and 1 g of protein by pound of lean mass weight. For me it is between 60 and 100g of proteins. The rest just do your best.

I agree with Yanicka. Do your best with what you've got. Aim for higher protein. Aim for lower carbs - but don't beat up on yourself it you don't hit "ideal" porportions... you have to find what works for you - what kind of food makes you feel healthy and do you feel the best physically? That's what you go with.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, just do your best and don't freak out if you don't get 40/30/30. I have my goals set for that but many days my carbs go over. I do really try to make sure I get a good amount of protein in, especially on lifting days but it usually doesn't end up perfect.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options

Looking at diaries will very helpful! When I started trying to do 40/30/30 I found it difficult now it's much easier.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Looking at diaries will very helpful! When I started trying to do 40/30/30 I found it difficult now it's much easier.

Agreed! Getting ideas from other people is a great help.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    one place where I find alot of my protein is dairy products. Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, cheese.