Weight loss/Fat Loss

Options
Carolyn_79
Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
I'm starting Stronglifts tonight so I'm very excited! I just completed 1 month of NROL4W and decided to switch. I haven't seen the scale move in 2 weeks so I hope that's normal. I'm still eating at a deficit to lose so I'm trying not to get hung up on the numbers on the scale but it's hard. I'm taking measurements though so I seem to have lost a couple of inches. I expected the weight-loss to slow down now that I'm lifting but it's still a psychological battle to not get too hung up on the numbers. Anyways, I don't really have a question, just wanted to get my feelings out. I love lifting though and can't imagine not doing it!

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's been 3 weeks for me, and I'm up 8 lbs. So yea, umm, it's extremely hard for me not to get discouraged. I'm not giving up, but don't think it ain't hard. Oh, and no measurements changed, either. *kicks all the rocks*
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Some observations I have on this subject, ladies:

I have noticed that If I weigh any sooner than the morning of the last of my 2 days off in a row (Sunday for me) my weight is actually higher. Through research, I found that this is due to muscle hanging onto water post-work out and it seems to take a couple of days of rest for it to go away.

Don't weigh or measure more often than 1x/every 2 weeks. Once you reach a lower BF%, wieght loss will seem to stall, but fat loss will continue and as long as you are getting enough protein, muscle growth will as well.

Some bits will consistently shrink and others will fluctuate. Wrist measurements are the best indicators, once that stops moving you can stop measuring it as only so much fat will acumulate there and it is only the subcutaneous fat that is attatched to your skin.

For me the measurement that fluctuated the most was waist, and the least and best indicator of fat loss was hips, turns out I wasn't really fat enough when I started to use the wrist measurements so I quit using them.

It seems like you can add measurements in MFP ad infinitum. :glasses:

I measure left and right (they sometimes differ)
    Biceps
    Forarm
    Bust
    Under bust (also a really good indicator of fat loss)
    Waist
    Hips (right at the hip bone where bikini bottom would hit)
    Butt (accross the roundest part of the glutes0
    Thigh
    Calf

When you measure the extremities, make sure you measure the belly of the muscle. While you will start to see crazy muscle growth and think that they are getting huge, if you have high body fat you will be surprised every time you measure because you think it will be up, but it will actually be down ( unless you screw up and slack off then it will start going up :mad: )

Hope this helps!

Oh and I'm dropping the scale completely except for about 1x every 3 months or so.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    Some observations I have on this subject, ladies:

I have noticed that If I weigh any sooner than the morning of the last of my 2 days off in a row (Sunday for me) my weight is actually higher. Through research, I found that this is due to muscle hanging onto water post-work out and it seems to take a couple of days of rest for it to go away.

Don't weigh or measure more often than 1x/every 2 weeks. Once you reach a lower BF%, wieght loss will seem to stall, but fat loss will continue and as long as you are getting enough protein, muscle growth will as well.

Some bits will consistently shrink and others will fluctuate. Wrist measurements are the best indicators, once that stops moving you can stop measuring it as only so much fat will acumulate there and it is only the subcutaneous fat that is attatched to your skin.

For me the measurement that fluctuated the most was waist, and the least and best indicator of fat loss was hips, turns out I wasn't really fat enough when I started to use the wrist measurements so I quit using them.

It seems like you can add measurements in MFP ad infinitum. :glasses:

I measure left and right (they sometimes differ)
    Biceps
    Forarm
    Bust
    Under bust (also a really good indicator of fat loss)
    Waist
    Hips (right at the hip bone where bikini bottom would hit)
    Butt (accross the roundest part of the glutes0
    Thigh
    Calf

When you measure the extremities, make sure you measure the belly of the muscle. While you will start to see crazy muscle growth and think that they are getting huge, if you have high body fat you will be surprised every time you measure because you think it will be up, but it will actually be down ( unless you screw up and slack off then it will start going up :mad: )

Hope this helps!

Oh and I'm dropping the scale completely except for about 1x every 3 months or so.

Thanks, I know you're right :smile: I think I may buy a caliper and go that route.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    my scale weight SHOT up after the first week and a half (When I was still lifting pretty light) - I was fluctuating between 165 and 167 for the most part for a month. This past week I've seen 164.x every single day (except today because I forgot to weight myself) so at least its stabilizing. the last low I saw was 162.6 so seeing 167.x was kind of shocking/horrifying.

I haven't seen 162 again (sigh) but I've seen 163 once and like I said, weight has been very steady and even.

I actually have lost some inches but they fluctuate a bit because bloating/etc on the tummy changes what's going on there. Between .5 and 1 inch in various places. thighs shrank a bit which I thought I didn't care about anymore but it turns out yes, its nice to have slimmer thighs. Calves shrank a bit too which is MAGICAL because I have HUGE calves - they were 17 inches before, now they're like 16. Still probably won't fit into boots but oh well.

I'd suggest you all either weigh daily, at the same time, and just record those weights as natural fluctuations AND take it as god given truth that your weight could potentially be up 2-3 lbs the ENTIRE time you are on this program, until you take a rest week at some point. Just accept the new number. the first time you strain and grunt and shake to get a final rep out you will realize that the feeling of achieving that is way better than anything the scale can tell you.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    my scale weight SHOT up after the first week and a half (When I was still lifting pretty light) - I was fluctuating between 165 and 167 for the most part for a month. This past week I've seen 164.x every single day (except today because I forgot to weight myself) so at least its stabilizing. the last low I saw was 162.6 so seeing 167.x was kind of shocking/horrifying.

I haven't seen 162 again (sigh) but I've seen 163 once and like I said, weight has been very steady and even.

I actually have lost some inches but they fluctuate a bit because bloating/etc on the tummy changes what's going on there. Between .5 and 1 inch in various places. thighs shrank a bit which I thought I didn't care about anymore but it turns out yes, its nice to have slimmer thighs. Calves shrank a bit too which is MAGICAL because I have HUGE calves - they were 17 inches before, now they're like 16. Still probably won't fit into boots but oh well.

I'd suggest you all either weigh daily, at the same time, and just record those weights as natural fluctuations AND take it as god given truth that your weight could potentially be up 2-3 lbs the ENTIRE time you are on this program, until you take a rest week at some point. Just accept the new number. the first time you strain and grunt and shake to get a final rep out you will realize that the feeling of achieving that is way better than anything the scale can tell you.

That is awesome! you may be surprised on the boots... try them, if nothing else then you know how far you have to go.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    I guess I should be grateful that I haven't gained weight then :smile: I agree that it feels so good to push that last rep out.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I guess I should be grateful that I haven't gained weight then :smile: I agree that it feels so good to push that last rep out.
    Oh yeah, totally

IF anything you probably LOST but its masked my water weight right now.
    That is awesome! you may be surprised on the boots... try them, if nothing else then you know how far you have to go.

Yeah I guess I should try next time I drag myself into a shoe store
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have pictures in my profile of me at 149lbs and 160lbs after lifting heavy for 4 months and eating at a calorie surplus. I look better at 160. Muscles are awesome. Don't let the scale hold you back.

Oh and I deloaded after stopping my winter bulk and before starting Strong Lifts. I lost 3lbs in 2 weeks, but then gained back 2lbs once the weights got heavy again. I think when you lift you always hold on to some extra water.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing SL (yet!), but I have been lifting heavy consistently since February 1. Although I haven't lost a single pound, I have dropped an entire pant size. I don't really do measurements, but my clothes can't lie. I'm doing everything I can to divorce the scale because obviously what I'm doing is working.

I'm eating at a slight calorie deficit (about 1 pound per week from MFP), trying to take in as much protein as possible, and doing three-four sessions lifting and two sessions cardio every week.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    I have pictures in my profile of me at 149lbs and 160lbs after lifting heavy for 4 months and eating at a calorie surplus. I look better at 160. Muscles are awesome. Don't let the scale hold you back.

Oh and I deloaded after stopping my winter bulk and before starting Strong Lifts. I lost 3lbs in 2 weeks, but then gained back 2lbs once the weights got heavy again. I think when you lift you always hold on to some extra water.

So glad to see you joined the group! You're sort of my MFP idol, :blushing: . Your pics are amazing and it totally reinforces what I know to be true. It's just a mind struggle but I will never let that hold me back from lifting.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

So glad to see you joined the group! You're sort of my MFP idol, :blushing: . Your pics are amazing and it totally reinforces what I know to be true. It's just a mind struggle but I will never let that hold me back from lifting.

Wow. Thanks. Don't know that I deserve to be an idol, but I try to help when I can. It is hard. I have some clothes from when I was 145 (after my 2nd kid) that are too small and even though I know i look better now it annoys me that I don't fit into them!
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    So I didn't lose for 2 weeks and then dropped 1.5 pounds this week so I feel good about that. I'm noticing changes in my body since I started lifting a month ago and I actually fit into size 10 today when I went shopping! It wasn't just one piece of clothing either. It was many pieces. I had to change all my large t-shirts for mediums too so I can't argue with results like that :smile:
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Fuzzybunny: That's awesome! Congrats!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So I didn't lose for 2 weeks and then dropped 1.5 pounds this week so I feel good about that. I'm noticing changes in my body since I started lifting a month ago and I actually fit into size 10 today when I went shopping! It wasn't just one piece of clothing either. It was many pieces. I had to change all my large t-shirts for mediums too so I can't argue with results like that :smile:

Awesome! A drop on the scale AND an NSV!