Shirts??

Options
quietasariot
quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
I am pretty good in the jeans department but.... I don't know how to shop for shirts!

I don't have a clue as to what is flattering to the apple figure. I'm tired of wearing plain Ts. If anyone has any ideas... PLEASE share! I have a pretty small bust now (well, a 38B - thank you weight loss, I've lost 2 cup sizes in a year- haven't been this cup size since 2002!) so I am just clueless as to what will kind of 'enhance' the bust and not make me look shapeless. I think I can wear either medium or large shirts... if that helps.

I did buy new bras the other day and oh it helped so much! lol

Replies

• miss_september
    Options
    When I want to look amazing, I actually really like button down shirts with princess seams =-). The shape of the shirt really covers my "tummy tube" and flatters my now 38D-DD's. Often I wear a cute lace-trimmed tank underneath. Another trick is that I wear Flex-eze tanks underneath my clothes for occasions. While they do pull in some, the biggest help is redistributing the fat from my worst problem areas so my tummy-area appears more uniform. Hope that helps =-)
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I like to wear tops that are a little bit flowy.. it's best for me if they skim over my stomach - not really clinging but not so far out that the shirt looks 20 sizes too big. Just enough to camouflage a little :)

Depending on your particular body frame empire waists can look really good too. =]
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for spaghetti strap shirts with a cami underneath and a short sweater on top. It flatters the chest area and you can find flowy or fitted and can look good with any bottoms that you choose.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm at a loss with this too. Interested to hear what others say.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that I like my tops a lot more fitted than I thought I would, but they cannot be pulling tight across the middle. It's probably because I wear a lot of t's for working out in! Layers are best for me, like I'll wear a t or tank under a cute sweater which I'm finding are cuter if they are short (I'm a shortie) like a cropped shrug or something.

It's all trial and error for me. I try it on, sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. I have a lot of t's and turtlenecks and tanks right now. Boring, but it's working. Now to find a rockin hot top for summer!!! Oh, and I'm finding I like myself in dresses now. I never wore dresses, but as I love my legs and feel they give me a bit of a nip in at the waist, I'm liking that. I only have a couple, but it's time to shop again!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions, but I will say I avoid any shirt with an empire waists. I live in fear of being mistaken for pregnant as is, I don't need to add fuel to that fire!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions, but I will say I avoid any shirt with an empire waists. I live in fear of being mistaken for pregnant as is, I don't need to add fuel to that fire!

I hear ya!! I avoid those too.
  • quietasariot
    Options
    I tried on a really cute empire waist shirt at target the other day and... it was bad! LOL. Super cute on the hanger but not flattering on me in the least!
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    For me since I have small breasts, I like tops that are draped around the neck/chest area because it puts the focus on there instead of my waist. I also find I wear a lot of drop waist dresses/tunics (which I wear as a top with jeans). My hips are smaller than my waist so it gives the illusion my torso is the same size as my hips.
  • quietasariot
    Options
    Good ideas. Thank you! I am going shopping tomorrow *crosses fingers* hope I find some flattering stuff :)
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Not that I have mastered this at all, but I find that I can usually get away with wearing any kind of shirt (assuming it fits my boobs, heh) if I wear something on the bottom that gives me the appearance of having hips. Like a knee-length flowy skirt or something.
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like shirts that show off my arms like spaghetti straps. And v-neck shirts. I don't even own any shirts that aren't v-neck or scoop neck.
  • sandygettingfit
    sandygettingfit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I find v-necks and wrap shirts more flattering for my apple shape.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Floaty tops are good, as are tops that have a cowl neck or some sort of decorative neckline. It focuses peoples eye on the neckline rather than the tummy. I also wear longer length tunic tops, they flatter an apple. We have an awful shape to buy for, but you can look really lovely with the right clothes. I buy high waister pants/jeans, and the tops I have mentioned, and it does hide the tummy quite well.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that Apples should wear tops that are snug under the breast and flow loose. I also like v-neck tops. If you have them flaunt them and no one see's your belly.
  • lotusspark
    Options
    I,m new here and possibly bigger than everyone but I think the flutter short sleeves are figure flattering.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that Apples should wear tops that are snug under the breast and flow loose. I also like v-neck tops. If you have them flaunt them and no one see's your belly.

If I had read this a week or so ago I would have strongly disagreed. I saw a lovely top online and bought it, when it arrived, it has all decoration just under the bust line, going from seam to seam. From the decoration it is floaty, and when I tried it on and looked in the mirror, I looked a size smaller.

Had I known it was snug and decorated just under the bust line, I wouldn't have bought it, but it truly does flatter an apple shape.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    V necks, polo shirts, wrap arounds. I dont do button up shirts.
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with kimono sleeve or dolman type tops. they tend to be more open and give the appreance of a perky chest with a flat tummy. I have to say I instantly look about 15 pounds lighter wearing one of those.
  • elsiesnow
    elsiesnow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I buy modal cotton shirts from Lands End online, I like their V-necks. They have a nice stretchy, drapey quality to them, so they fit nicely over my boobs, have room for my upper arms, and drape nicely over my tummy. I hate shopping at the mall, I buy most of my clothes online.