thinking about having gastric bypass done!

Options
kovoo32
kovoo32 Posts: 29 Member
has anyone had any troubles after the surgery?
and what do u do after as far as eating?

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 3.6 years ago. Best decision ever. My highest weight was 340 and now I maintain around 140. I've had no issues. I can eat whatever I want, but make healthy choices 90% of the time. i do try to keep it pretty low carb and avoid simple carbs.
  • kovoo32
    Options
    how do u feel right after surgery?
  • kovoo32
    Options
    ty
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I just had it 3.5 weeks ago....after you will be sore and tired. Everyone is different. YOu may ask yourself why you did it, it seems everyone asks that...I know i did...then things get better day by day, you learn what to eat and how much you can eat, and some days you may get sick, but you live and you learn and you move on. Its alot of trial and error, at least in my opinion. Now I dont regreat it, I already feel different about myself.
    Weigh your options, research the surgery, go to an informational seminar if they have them, then decide. Its a big life change, but with the right mindset and awesome support you can do it.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just had it 3.5 weeks ago....after you will be sore and tired. Everyone is different. YOu may ask yourself why you did it, it seems everyone asks that...I know i did...then things get better day by day, you learn what to eat and how much you can eat, and some days you may get sick, but you live and you learn and you move on. Its alot of trial and error, at least in my opinion. Now I dont regreat it, I already feel different about myself.
    Weigh your options, research the surgery, go to an informational seminar if they have them, then decide. Its a big life change, but with the right mindset and awesome support you can do it.

^^^^^
    This.
    I am 18 years post gastric bypass. I had open Roux En Y gastric bypass. I had a good laugh when the above post said you ask yourself WHY. You sure do ask yourself Why you did it. But in a short time when the weight begins to fall off, you know why you did it. Mine saved my life. I'm sure of that. I was at 330 lbs. Eventually over the next three years settled to a comfy 160 lbs and maintained that all these years till last year. An accident and some medicine added 35 lbs to my frame and I am here to get rid of it before it gets away from me. Medicine made me eat like a wild wolf. I knew it when it was happening but couldn't stop till I got off the meds.

I love the results of my surgery. I was type 2 diabetic and that left me within a few weeks of my surgery. I haven't been diabetic since. As posted above, Research everything you can about it including what you can and cannot eat. When I ran across things I just couldn't eat, my first thought was, "Small price to pay." I never looked back and always said if I thought I had to have it done again, I'd be sitting on the hospital steps in the morning. I definitely would do it again.

Best of luck and if I can be of any help let me know.
  • kovoo32
    Options
    thanks so much for all the info.
  • TL0105
    TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had RNY Gastric Bypass surgery 12 days ago...I truly feel that this decision was a life saving one...with a family history of heart disease and diabetes, I decided to take control. I agree with what everyone has said thus far...you definitely want to find a surgeon, go to an informational meeting. My surgeon had a series of pre-requisites that had to be done prior to surgery...Pyschological exam, Nutritionist visits, losing a certain amount of weight prior to surgery, etc...and then my insurance made me go through 6 months Dr. supervised diet/exercise program. It seemed like a let down at the time, but when you think about it, you are talking about the rest of your life.

For me, this Easter Holiday was a bit difficult. I had to stay on my eating plan, while the rest of the family ate a nice Easter Brunch. But you know what? That was my old life...this is my new one..I was given a tool, and I intend to be as successful as all my other successful friends on this site! Research and read, ask questions..be prepared- it's a life change, and it can change your life :)
  • pavshop
    pavshop Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 7 weeks post op from my RNY. I feel GREAT! The 2-3 days post surgery was a little rough, but after that I was up and about and back to normal activity (a little slow) at 10 days. I am now back to all my activity and feel really good. The eating plan is work, but the surgery has made all those good choices easier to make.
  • kovoo32
    Options
    ty
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am almost 2 months out now, and have never felt as optimistic about my future as I do now. My husband says that I have a whole new attitude. Before i was so down and poor me all the time, clothes were too tight, didn't want to go out a lot. Now I am excited to get dressed in the morning to see how my clothes are getting looser and looser! I had no complications (be sure to consider laparoscopic surgery as I did, just 6 tiny incisions about an inch long!) I was on pain meds for 3 days and that's it. One week of liquid diet after the surgery then started on real food again. Each surgeon is different, be sure to talk to people in your area about who is the best, now who advertises the most! Best wishes to you!
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am now 4 weeks post-op, and yes the day I had surgery I asked what I just did, but by late that night I was fine. If asked if I would do it again, I would say definitely yes. The first week after surgery was the roughest, but each day during that week got better. I was on all liquids for the first two weeks and then graduated to soft foods like cottage cheese, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, and etc.
    i just started adding deli lunch meats, fish, and canned tuna or chicken back in also. I can now also add mashed sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
    Most of the time I don't find that I'm hungry at all. I make sure to try and get in 60-80 grams protein. This will help you to heal better, lose weight, and make sure that you won't have hair loss.
    I have supplements I have to take, because I had the open R-N-Y surgery, but I am now off all but three medications.
    Everyday gets better and yes there are up and down moments, but I haven't really had anything sideline me too much.
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's the best thing I have done for myself. I haven't had any surgical complications, thanks to God and a brilliant surgeon. Your eating must change. eliminate unhealthy carbs like pasta, breads, rice, potatoes. There are some wonderful substitutes like quinoa and spaghetti squash. I have a hard time with the texture of hamburger, but enjoy ground chicken made into a burger. Meatloaf is not a problem for me. Nothing fired, and no sweets. Lots of protein...you can get extremely creative with protein powders and sugar free syrups.

Life is wonderful post-op. My energy is through the roof. My attitude is more positive. My co-workers have said I've "blossomed". And for the 1st time in my life, I feel attractive. I may not be prettier, but I feel more confident and that is more important that exterior beauty.

You will not regret it. Go for it!
  • cheekymonkeyface
    cheekymonkeyface Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Having my gastric bypass 22 months ago was the best decision i ever made in my life. My surgery was open and i have a scar about 8 inches down my abdomen. This isn't really a scar, i consider it the zipper holding the thin woman inside of me waiting to escape. I am approx 84lbs down weight wise and i am a new woman. I paint my own toe nails, my children can reach right round me to hug me, i can sit on the floor and play with my grandson and clothes are a pleasure. My type 2 diabetes is in remission (it never disappears but it is no longer controlled by medication) and i am very very helathy. Food is still possibly one of the biggest loves of my life after my children.

I currently am struggling with regain because i love food so much which is why i am here.

If i was offered my surgery again i would definitely do it, however i'd stick to the rules and take advantage of the 'honeymoon' period a lot more.

Good luck in your choice xx