Help for my Vegetable-phobic Sister who wants to start

Options
Stacivogue
Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
So, medifasters - what advice can you give to my sister? She has never liked vegetables. It's like she never grew up from that stage when as toddlers you say that vegetables are yucky. She likes cucumbers. I recommended that she go out and get some tofu shirataki noodles, but I don't know what else to recommend?

Does anyone have some good sites with recipes? She likes to cook, unlike me, so maybe she'll make those. I want to help her, but she's not a big fan of things that are green.

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    She could add spinach to her spaghetti sauce, or grate zucchini or squash to add in there so she doesn't really "see" it. My mom made zucchini lasagna when I was younger. Until she made that, I wouldn't touch zucchini, and now I love it. You use the zucchini instead of lasagna noodles. Also, she might like roasted veggies since they're a little sweeter. I also wouldn't eat any type of peppers until I ate dinner at someone's house and didn't want to be rude and not eat my salad, so I did and I actually liked them (red, yellow and orange). Maybe you could invite her over for dinner and make some different things that she has to at least "try". I'd say one bite for each year of age she is, but my guess is that would be more than 4. :smile: I don't have a specific website I get recipes from, I just run across something on the internet and print it out if it looks good.
  • LucyLovely
    LucyLovely Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out Sandyskitchenadvengtures.com? She has some great recipes. I made the Mock Savory Kugel with the spaghetti squash and it was fantastic. She has a section for medifast only recipes.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I never ate many vegetable before Medifast, now I love them. She may have to bite the bullet and try different things. I'm not sure if anything can be substituted for the green. It's a good question to ask on Mymedifast.com.
  • Teuila99
    Teuila99 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above. I never ate many vegetables either- unless you count corn or potatoes. Ha, I used to think I was doing great if I included corn in a meal lol. Yeah, Im still in the beginning phases so sadly corn is out of the picture for now. Its only been a couple of months, but I have spent a lot of time in the produce section and have tried stuff I loved and also tried stuff I'll never ever buy again. It's just a matter of experimenting. I may love a vegetable that the next person cant stand. My staple veggies are spinach, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, and cauliflower. Cauliflower is my new fav as it is so versatile. I love cauliflower pizza, cauliflower bread sticks, and cauliflower fried rice. I like to cook and like trying new recipes so Im always hunting online for medifast friendly recipes. I only get one L&G per day so when I do have it, I want it to be as delicious and satisfying as I can get it to be. I think part of the benefit for me so far has been enhancing my cooking skills. I have a long way to go until goal and dont expect to transition until around March 2013. In the meantime Im trying to make sure I don't get bored with my meals. I try to switch up my MF foods and my L&Gs. Boredom with foods is a bad sign for me and may lead me down a destructive path. Ok, think I've rambled enough! =) Best of luck to your sister! If MF could convert me into a veggie lover, I believe it could work for anyone.
  • flicka82
    flicka82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. I guess he will be having lots of salads for his L&G for now, until he gets more adventurous. I made him the zucchini lasagna the other day and he didn't really like it. He picked out all the zucchini and some cauliflower pieces that he found. lol

He didn't really like the cauliflower mashed potatoes either. How can anyone not like cauliflower mashed potatoes is beyond me. :)

Oh well, more leftovers for me. Yum!!!
  • Stacivogue
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to convince her to eat something green.
  • lara308
    lara308 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello all and thanks for the advice.
    I made cauliflower mashed potatoes today and even mixed with a hand mixer thinking I would trick myself into eating them. I tried them (Staci give me credit for that) but didn't like them. :(
    My boyfriend said they were really good so I'm happy about that. He and I are doing medifast together.

I bought the shiritaki noodles but any advice on how to prepare them?

Day 1 and I already tried a vegetable I never ate before so maybe there's hope for me. LOL. I'll keep trying :)
  • Stacivogue
    Options
    Lol. So proud that you tried.
  • Celinya
    Celinya Posts: 18
    Options
    I have a blog with a lot of Lean and Green recipes and recipes for Medifast food:
    http://newbeautifulme.blogspot.com/
  • lara308
    lara308 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks Celinya! Looks like you have some really great recipes on your blog which I plan on trying!
  • lissa71
    lissa71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I made lasagna using spaghetti squash and I have friends who make spaghetti using spaghetti squash. It was ok - but being Italian I could tell the difference.