Anyone Here Homeschooling At The High School Level?

Options
If so, is there a particular curriculum that you are using?

Replies

• farm_mamaX9
    Options
    I am homeschooling two in high school right now. And I graduated one back in 2010. Next year I will have three in high school at the same time. :)

We use Apologia Science, Math-U-See, Easy Grammar, some Rod and Staff, and then a mix of good, wholesome books for reading. We also use the books from Sonlight for history, plus a wealth of history cd's and dvd's. Other than that, wherever the child's interests lie determines any electives, music, or sports. I have one who is teaching himself C++ computer programming, one who takes/plays piano, and one who swims.

This seems to work for us. My oldest got into a good college on a full scholarship.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I stayed with "eclectic" through high school. We used Sonlight for history and literature, or at least used it as a starting point, and went off on personal interests. Math was entirely dependent on the personality and needs. Tons of reading and I took grammar, vocabulary. etc. from that. Science was various college texts. Phys. ed varied by the year and what was locally available to participate in, but included various sports, homeschool group swimming, skiing, and tons of family hikes, etc.

My son got into the Air Force with a score far surpassing the required for homeschoolers score - which is higher than the score required for those traditionally schooled. He's had promotions ahead of schedule, is taking college classes while in the service and doing very well, and this (4th year in) year won Airman of the Year. My daughter is a published author. Don't be afraid to homeschool through high school! They both appreciate it very much and are both determined to be always supportive of my homeschooling their little sister, to the point where my daughter helps me with it and my son frequently offers to buy any materials we may need. They felt, in high school, that they had an advantage over their co-workers in their ability to deal with bosses, upper management, customers and co-workers, too.
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have two in high school this year, and have graduated three (2007, 2010, 2011).

We also are eclectic in our approach. I used a lot of textbooks (A Beka) for the first one because I was too scared to do anything else. However, now, we don't use many textbooks. We use Notgrass for history, Teaching Textbooks for math, Apologia for science (though I think I'm going to try the Biology 101 program next year). We used Starting Points for English/literature this year, however next year I'm creating an online lit discussion group for American Lit (books used from the Notgrass American History list). Electives range from Answers In Genesis' Anatomy program and their Origins studies, Trail Guide geography, A Beka's Consumer Math, speech (through a co-op group), debate (co-op), Ethics, home ec (life skills but focused as a checklist of things they need to learn and complete before high school is over), Spanish (co-op group), Excel/Word/Powerpoint instruction through Alpha Omega's lifepacs, and then specific classes related to whatever their interest is.

My oldest went to college for a year, and then got married and is pregnant with her second (and she plans to homeschool them), the second took a trade school approach and is a personal trainer at a gym, as well as runs her own photography business, and the third is at a junior college trying to decide what he wants to do (business or law).
  • stacey323
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the group. I have homeschooled one all the way through high school. (2009 graduate) I have homeschooled my other one until the 10th grade. He wanted to play football, so he is in public school this year. We use ABeka DVD program 2. I have been very happy with it. My oldest is in his 3rd year of college with a 4.0 gpa. He changed majors so, he is still in his sophmore year. My middle one had to take the TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) before they would let him start public school. He only missed 2 in the English section and 2 in the Math section. I am homeschooling my daughter, she is in 7th grade and will continue with the ABeka DVD's through high school for her.
  • Melanie_Robinson
    Melanie_Robinson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We began using My Father's World when my oldest started high school. I have always been a create-your-own kind of homeschooler, but I found that MFW had already planned what I would like to use.
  • Metamorphasis555
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input on this everyone!
  • enchantedeskape
    Options
    We've just started the highschool journey. So far, we're using Saxon Math, A Beka history and science, and prentice hall literature/grammar