Maintaining weight loss

Options
This is a really stupid question, I know, but I'm finding it impossible to find answers to it since so few struggle with my "problem."
I'm a fairly low weight to begin with, but I'm trying to lose - and maintain - just a couple of pounds. (Nothing crazy - my body just "naturally" rests at a few pounds more than I want to be.)
Whenever I change my weight on MFP, it doesn't seem to take the new weight into account. The little counter thing at the bottom still says, "if you were to eat like this every day, in 6 weeks you would weigh . . ." (And it gives me a lower number, even though I'm still eating the same calories that I was 2lbs ago)
Is that even possible? I mean, if I'm losing weight, don't I need fewer calories in order to maintain? Or is my body just becoming more efficient at burning calories? (I'm getting more physical activity in now than I used to)..Or is this just MFP making assumptions, as though I were over-weight?
Any ideas?
(To be fair, I do think that if I seriously cut down on sugar that this probably wouldn't even be a question. But I'm just wondering if I'm already on the cusp of underweight, can I still eat a normal amount of calories to maintain, or do I have to cut calories to reach my goal weight? - Which, by the way is NOT an option! If it's going to take restricting in order to maintain the weight I want, then I'll be just dandy at my body's "natural" weight.)

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome to MFP.

From my understanding of it (early stages for me), you may be experiencing this problem because your body is trying to keep you from starving yourself. So, your best bet is to eat the right amount of food for your weight and lifestyle, and create a calorie deficit through exercise and lifting weights.

I'll let you know in a month or two as I have only in the last two days tried to increase my intake from 1200 calories to 2000 calories whilst continuing with my exercise and weights regime.
  • BarefootGaia
    Options
    Hey, welcome to MFP.

From my understanding of it (early stages for me), you may be experiencing this problem because your body is trying to keep you from starving yourself. So, your best bet is to eat the right amount of food for your weight and lifestyle, and create a calorie deficit through exercise and lifting weights.

I'll let you know in a month or two as I have only in the last two days tried to increase my intake from 1200 calories to 2000 calories whilst continuing with my exercise and weights regime.

I might be wrong, but that's not the impression I get from her/his post. I think they're saying that when they put their new weight into MFP after losing weight, nothing changes regarding calories. I think they want to know if they should be reducing their calories in order to drop a few more pounds, even though MFP doesn't tell them to.