Training for my first 5K!

Options
sexycute
sexycute Posts: 74 Member
I started my first day of training yesterday and let me tell you my legs and feet were on fire! What did I get myself into?! I know it was just the first day but geez! Is there anyone out there that has done this or is about to embark on their own maiden journey to doing a 5K? HELP! I need encouragement!

Replies

• Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I can say is it will get better, for the first few weeks my whole body hurt I would get shin splints and had to stop till they went away for the most part I just started slow and built up and listend to my body when it started to hurt I slowed down when it got to easy I would pick the paceup. Good luck
  • sexycute
    Options
    I can say is it will get better, for the first few weeks my whole body hurt I would get shin splints and had to stop till they went away for the most part I just started slow and built up and listend to my body when it started to hurt I slowed down when it got to easy I would pick the paceup. Good luck
    Thank you so much! You don't know how much I appreciate the encouragement! I have to remember that its only been 4 days since I've started my training. :) The more fit I get the easier it'll become. Thanks, again!
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing - just finished second day of Couch to 5K. My cousins all run and they are so inspiring, I want to play too! We are going to have a big group of us do a run in May, I'm hoping to 'run' (I mostly plod so far) the 5k for the first time. I've tried and failed many times before - always push too hard and hurt myself - so I am going to stick to the program this time. I stretched really well Friday and didn't have shin splints, tonight I rushed it a little but still pretty pain free so I think stretching is my new best friend. Good luck, add me if you want!!
  • sexycute
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing - just finished second day of Couch to 5K. My cousins all run and they are so inspiring, I want to play too! We are going to have a big group of us do a run in May, I'm hoping to 'run' (I mostly plod so far) the 5k for the first time. I've tried and failed many times before - always push too hard and hurt myself - so I am going to stick to the program this time. I stretched really well Friday and didn't have shin splints, tonight I rushed it a little but still pretty pain free so I think stretching is my new best friend. Good luck, add me if you want!!
    Thank you for your response! I'm doing mine in May as well with my brother and sister. Were you able to run for five minutes your first time training? I only seem to be able to do it in spurts but nothing consistent. I wish you luck with yours as well as good health! I will add you! We all need that "circle of support"!
  • nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had to stop because of my knees...and winter. Then I started to take glucosamine daily. It helps tremendously. I have a 5K in May that I better start training for.
  • sexycute
    Options
    I had to stop because of my knees...and winter. Then I started to take glucosamine daily. It helps tremendously. I have a 5K in May that I better start training for.
    [/quote
    What does glucosamine do?
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started my first day of training yesterday and let me tell you my legs and feet were on fire! What did I get myself into?! I know it was just the first day but geez! Is there anyone out there that has done this or is about to embark on their own maiden journey to doing a 5K? HELP! I need encouragement!

Good luck and let us know how you do. When I have lost more weight I would love to try some jogging...
  • sexycute
    Options

Good luck and let us know how you do. When I have lost more weight I would love to try some jogging...
    Thank you! Will do! 49 more days! Still trying to build up the endurance!
  • Kimbosbc
    Kimbosbc Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for you. I just did my very first 5k. I walked more than half of it, really about 3/4 of it but I had to start somewhere. Now I am about to sign up for #2 and hope to make an improvement on my time. I wish you all the luck. Just keep in mind that these things are addictive. I have never been a runner and didn't really like the thought of it but I have become addicted and just want to keep improving my time.
  • dianeinthemuk
    dianeinthemuk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi. I registered for The Danskin Triathalon in August 2012. I have never done anything like this before, and it has me scared to death! I have been training for a few months now, and have really stepped it up somewhat recently. I am all set for the 5K part at least.

I am walking the 5K, and not running it. I have RA and also osteoarthritis in my foot and knees (bad fractures years ago), so running is not in my future. That said, I started walking with a friend at 6 a.m. 3 days a week, and we go to a track. We started out walking for 45 minutes, and I was doing 6 laps around the track, so about a mile and a half. A 5K is 3.1 miles. Now we walk 12 laps in that 45 minutes, which is great. I am running little bits at a time, but it is probably negligible.

Just keep at it. That is terrific that you registered for the 5K. It will be a fantastic accomplishment! Congratulations to you!!!
  • sexycute
    Options
    I'm excited for you. I just did my very first 5k. I walked more than half of it, really about 3/4 of it but I had to start somewhere. Now I am about to sign up for #2 and hope to make an improvement on my time. I wish you all the luck. Just keep in mind that these things are addictive. I have never been a runner and didn't really like the thought of it but I have become addicted and just want to keep improving my time.

I can see myself walking 3/4 of the way but like you said you gotta start somewhere! I'm doing it with my brother and sister so perhap we'll motivate each other to keep running. Thanks for your support! :flowerforyou:
  • sexycute
    Options
    Hi. I registered for The Danskin Triathalon in August 2012. I have never done anything like this before, and it has me scared to death! I have been training for a few months now, and have really stepped it up somewhat recently. I am all set for the 5K part at least.

I am walking the 5K, and not running it. I have RA and also osteoarthritis in my foot and knees (bad fractures years ago), so running is not in my future. That said, I started walking with a friend at 6 a.m. 3 days a week, and we go to a track. We started out walking for 45 minutes, and I was doing 6 laps around the track, so about a mile and a half. A 5K is 3.1 miles. Now we walk 12 laps in that 45 minutes, which is great. I am running little bits at a time, but it is probably negligible.

Just keep at it. That is terrific that you registered for the 5K. It will be a fantastic accomplishment! Congratulations to you!!!

I admire you for continuing to do these races despite your ailments! My motivation is the more I train for the 5K the fitter I get! I can't wait to see how much I've lost by May! Thank you for the support and I wish you luck with your Triathalon!
  • dianeinthemuk
    dianeinthemuk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! This will be a great year for so many of us. Just the fact that we are here on MFP and have registered for events is HUGE! My hat's off to you for going for it.
  • sexycute
    Options
    Thanks!! This will be a great year for so many of us. Just the fact that we are here on MFP and have registered for events is HUGE! My hat's off to you for going for it.

...and you as well, my friend! :flowerforyou:
  • sexycute
    Options
    I did it! I completed my first 5K today! It was a daunting race since I'm not a runner. I am proud of my time of 1:00:49. That only motivates me to try for under an hour next year...maybe! LOL! #heartofachampion