Needing more protein/little less fat

Options
jemko
jemko Posts: 91 Member
I recently started Keto, and I'm struggling to get the right balance of protein to fat - I tend to get more fat than I need and not enough protein. I wind up struggling at the end of the day to try to balance it out. Has anyone else had this struggle? I'd love suggestions and my diary is open if you want to look through the past few days (I even have tomorrow planned out and logged already). Thanks in advance! ;)

Replies

• letsstealahouse
    letsstealahouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From what I saw in the past couple of days of your diary, you're about on par for the recommended fat:protein ratio while on Keto. Unless I'm mistaken, the recommended amount is around 2:1 or 3:1 fat:protein. Is there a specific reason you're trying to go low carb AND low fat?
  • jemko
    jemko Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm not looking for low fat, too. I'm just struggling to find foods or meals that provide that balance of protein and fat. I find myself at the end of the day basically needing to eat low fat protein or something completely different from what I'd planned on eating, because I'm closer to a 5/80/20 ratio. I'd like to keep it to around 65/30 for fat/protein. I'm also WAY over where I want calories to be, mostly due to this shuffling around at night, but I'm not stressing about that yet. Once I get the ratios down, I'll worry about eating fewer calories.
  • subignition
    Options
    Try canned chicken or fish.

The only problem then becomes how to stomach a whole can of tuna without adding something fatty like mayonnaise. I solved this with a mixture of mustard and Frank's Red Hot. Hehe.
  • LesPaulCustom
    Options
    I seem to be having a similar problem. I usually go over the ratio for fats and end up under for protein. I also struggle to find fatty foods that are not high in saturated fats. Im only four days in to this thing so still feeling it out.
  • veggiepho
    Options
    For canned tuna:
    I just plop the canned tuna on a salad, add some lemon-pepper seasoning on it. Delicious.
  • veggiepho
    Options
    I seem to be having a similar problem. I usually go over the ratio for fats and end up under for protein. I also struggle to find fatty foods that are not high in saturated fats. Im only four days in to this thing so still feeling it out.

What's wrong with saturated fat?
  • monkeymynd
    Options
    For canned tuna:
    I just plop the canned tuna on a salad, add some lemon-pepper seasoning on it. Delicious.

Yes, this. Take a wedge of lettuce, a can of tuna, 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese and add a little blue cheese dressing for taste. Yummy and almost a perfect macro :D