Gaining weight...a few questions

Options
I've been doing keto for about a month now. At first the weight loss was slow, but since I started tracking and making sure I met the correct ratio I have been losing ~1 a day. A few days ago, I lowered my calorie intake from 1400 to 1200. Around the same time, I saw some posts on reddit about alcohol and figured I could add a few shots of vodka/per day on the weekend. Since these changes, I've gained about 3 lbs. back. :/

I expected that I would stall w/ the vodka, but I didn't expect to gain any weight. I was mixing it w/ Perrier Citron which has no carbs, etc. as far as the label goes. Could the weight gain be due to the vodka? I'm guessing lowering my calorie intake shouldn't have affected it.

Also, and quite possibly related, my "system" doesn't seem to be "moving". I notice that my stomach is bloated, but I don't have any cramps or urge. I went out and picked up some Psyllium Husk caplets. I've been taking 3 capsules, 2x/day as directed. Lots & lots of water. Aaaand...nothing :( Sorry if TMI, but I also tried a laxative and then also an enema. Still, nothing.

So, can anyone shed some light on the weight gain? The only things that have changed are the things I mentioned above. What could be causing it?

Replies

• Jefster
    Jefster Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Monkey,

Do you know if you are still in Ketosis?

Drinking alcohol should just slow your fat burn down, not stop it. You could be retaining water however.

Some more info here:

http://fatstate.com/104/keto-lowcarb-alcohol/
  • monkeymynd
    Options
    Monkey,

Do you know if you are still in Ketosis?

Drinking alcohol should just slow your fat burn down, not stop it. You could be retaining water however.

Some more info here:

http://fatstate.com/104/keto-lowcarb-alcohol/

Yes, I'm still in ketosis. Haven't dropped out of it at all...and, actually, I've been much more stable. I use the ketostix to check. I used to bounce around from trace to small. Now I'm moderate every time.
  • Jefster
    Options
    Monkey,

Then I wouldn't worry at all! I'm sure it's water weight then!

I use a Tanita body composition scale, and it's an invaluable tool for diagnosing things like this. It measures Body fat%, Muscle Weight, and Water %. I can usually see if I'm retaining water, or if I've added muscle weight, but lost fat %.

I guess my point is, total body weight is very misleading, so don't get stuck on the single #.
  • monkeymynd
    Options
    Thanks Jefster. Much appreciated!
  • Jefster
    Options
    "In fact, drinking more water, not less, can actually help to correct the problem. However, drinking alcohol can cause you to retain water. But unless you chronically abuse alcohol, water weight gain is usually only temporary. "

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/192754-problems-with-water-retention-and-drinking-alcohol/#ixzz1rk5Uvssy
  • monkeymynd
    Options
    That explains a lot! Thanks again :D