Which meter do you use?

Options
I currently have the OneTouch Ultra Mini which my doc gave me for free. (I've seen it at walmart for about $20) However, the supplies are pretty pricey even with insurance. (about $70 for strips and lancets)

Just wondering what you guys are using?

Replies

• poulingail
    Options
    I recently got the One Touch Ultra II after years using the earlier version. I switched because I needed a new lancing device and so my doctor just gave me a new kit. It also uses the blue test strips and yes they are pricey but I order them from Express Scripts for a little savings.

What I am baffled by is the lancing device that came with this new meter. It's called the Delica and I can hardly get a sample. The needle is so small and the trigger mechanism feels really weak. I slide it back and sometimes it fails to catch. The puncture is tiny and I have it on the deepest setting. The old lancing device hurt but it always gave me a sample.
  • dimplez711
    Options
    Yes I use the same lancets, and I have to set them to 6 or 7 to make sure I get enough for a sample. I also find them to be a pain to eject after testing. :grumble:
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options

What I am baffled by is the lancing device that came with this new meter. It's called the Delica and I can hardly get a sample. The needle is so small and the trigger mechanism feels really weak. I slide it back and sometimes it fails to catch. The puncture is tiny and I have it on the deepest setting. The old lancing device hurt but it always gave me a sample.

I had trouble with these too. I talked to my pharmacist. These are new nearly painless lancets...the needle is fine. You have to find parts of your fingers that don't have thick skin or callouses. He suggested between the pad of the finger and the finger nail...feel around..you will see the skin texture is different there. As well, he told me to prime my finger well by pumping it up and down..

I followed these instructions and now the lancet works very well..on setting 4....very little pain. I get a sample 95% of the time this way..very pleased...and yes nearly painless when used correctly

Good luck
  • LeannSz
    LeannSz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Freestyle Freedom Lite it's very similar to the one Touch ultra
  • nlkoelle
    nlkoelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I recently got the One Touch Ultra II after years using the earlier version. I switched because I needed a new lancing device and so my doctor just gave me a new kit. It also uses the blue test strips and yes they are pricey but I order them from Express Scripts for a little savings.

You could ask for just a new lansing device. There are other devices that use the Delica lancets. :) My diabetes educator gave me a higher powered one. I haven't tried it yet as I have a huge supply of lancets yet to use up.

To answer the question - I use the OneTouch Ultra Mini as well. I stick with it because that's what my dr uses to download my numbers each time I visit. Also, I test in my forearms. :-) Sensitive finger tips, you know. lol
  • poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks @Bevkus. I'll try finding that soft spot to see if I have better luck. It doesn't help that my fingers are often chilly in the AM.
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Bevkus. I'll try finding that soft spot to see if I have better luck. It doesn't help that my fingers are often chilly in the AM.

Try running your hands in warm water or rubbing your hands together to get the blood flowing. Lately with my exercise I've noticed that my feet and hands are always freezing. I never liked testing areas other than fingers because it can change your readings.

I use a FreeStyle Lite currently.
  • Mark_Tyler
    Options
    I changed to an Ultra OneTouch Ultra2 in December 2010, I found an app on the iStore called Glooko which ties up to my meter. I can then email my Dr with my results twice a month in a pdf format. The program is fantastic as it allows me to enter my insulin, carbs etc. The only drawback is the cost of the cable, about $40.00 from Amazon. They won't deliver to South Africa so I had to buy it locally and that cost me about $120.00 / R840.00, a bit of a ripoff but I am happy with the results.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ultra One Touch Mini - I was using the True Track which makes the store brand meters, but my doctor did not like it. Since the strips were a lot cheaper, I used both meters for a few days to see if the True Track was as accurate. I found the True Track was almost idenitcal if my reading was 170 or higher, but below that, the True track consistently was at least 20 points higher and the lower my actual number was, the bigger the discrepancy. It turns out I was taking too much medication and missing that my blood sugar was my getting too low. I did not think low blood sugar was causing my symtoms, becuase I never got a low reading.

(Note: I had 2 True meters, one I kept at home and one that was in my purse and both those meters consistently got the same reading. I also occasionally used other peoples meters to verify that the One Touch Ultra was not reading low instead of the True Tracks reading high. It was not. I used the testing solution on all 3 meters prior to starting my days of testing and after completing my tests. All 3 meters tested within the limits.)
  • melissadid2002
    melissadid2002 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Melissa and the meter I first used when I was pregnant and diagnosed with Gestational was a Precision Ultra and now I am using a Reli-on Ultra (they are alot alike) the second one I bought from Walmart because I have only been diagnosed with Pre Diabetes or food and exercise controlled. Anyways I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this kind and had any views on it? It reminds me a lot of my first meter in shape and packaging and etc and the test strips seem to be the exact same kind as I am used to too.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use a Reli-on. My Dr. said she could give me a free meter but the strips were so expensive I would be better off to shop around and find one that had more reasonable priced strips. So that is what I did. Also, the lance that comes with it works great, uses an extra fine point and doesn't hardly hurt at all.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i have many meters. right now i use the Precision Xtra because i can get the strips at the base hospital for free. and right now i kinda like free. my are all old so maybe i will get a new one later this year.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I had the one touch ultra for years. My only complaint was the cost of test strips. I went to my pharmacy and looked for the cheapest test strips. Then I bought the meter that went with them.

Depending on your insurance, if your doctor writes a prescription, you can get some test strips for free or your medication co-pay. The exact coverage varies from insurance to insurance.
  • mmsexybetty
    mmsexybetty Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use True Track. Personally, I prefer Accu Check, but my insurance will only cover True Track. It's okay, it's simple enough.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was using the One touch Mini and then had to switch to the ACCU-CHEK compact plus due to insurance. I love the new meter because the strips come in a cartridge so I dont have to fumble with them and I get less error messages. The downside is It needs alittle more blood, but it is worth it since I can't mess it up easily.
  • islandsnowgirl
    islandsnowgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Both my dad and I used to use the Accu-Check Compact and have now moved on to the Compact Plus...I love the convenience of the test strip drums, but these guys definitely need a bit more blood than either the True-track or some other meters available out there (tested some others through/for studies but unfortunately don't have names for them - just know they used individual test strips that had to be loaded for each test). It might be a bit pricier as well depending on your insurance coverage, but so far the best package for lancets/test strips I've tried yet.
  • Keeleelee55
    Keeleelee55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Isn't it amazing and terrible that price and insurance determines what equipment we use to keep our disease under control? I work for a major health insurance company and I have had to slide on my testing simply because I can't afford the test strips. No, mine isn't free just because I work there, my son works a part time job for another major company (not health) and has better health insurance than I do! I use a One Touch mini along with a One Touch Ultra (older model).
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    Breeze 2
  • denncath
    denncath Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have insurance I use the walmart ReliOn for $8 and the test strips are 100 for $36.