What size weights did you START with?

Options
I am wondering what size of weights you all started the program with? I am feeling like such a slacker because I am only using 5 pound dumbbells. I am only on my second week and I am kind of confused about how quickly I should be adding weights. I have never, ever done any type of strength training, so I am trying to cut myself some slack. But at the same time I don't want my workouts to be pointless (they don't feel pointless! They're tough!) Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my plan of attack has been to constantly increase as much as i could. so if i do 1 set at 1 weight, i will increase for the next set and for the next set.

i do that until i've reached a weight where i struggle. then once i can do all of the reps at that weight, i'll immediately move up the next time.

i dont know if any others are doing it that way, but i try not to use the same weight twice and definitely not 2 workouts in a row
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think if they are tough then you're using the right amount of weight. Don't worry about what other people are doing - I always see little tiny girls that can lift MUCH more then me and I'm like "how do they do that?!" Just do what you can and set your sights on getting stronger!

But to answer you question I started out in stage 1 with 10 lbs weights for the step up and the shoulder presses. I'm up to 20 lbs for shoulder presses and 15 for step ups (I don't have a hard time stepping up with the weight, it's just holding on to it the whole time gets old).

In stage 2 I used the same 15 lb weights for the one point row as I did for the step ups but I can only do 5 lbs on the cuban snatch or anything having to do with shoulder work.
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    8 pounds. I'm up to 15 and 20 pound db's on workout 6b.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    SKB gives good advice. Start where you feel comfortable.

The first time I went to the gym, even before starting NROL, I put everything on the lowest setting did a couple reps and if it felt way too light, I increased slowly with increments of 5. I also started with 5dbs. If it didn't feel like I did anything, I went up to 7.5 then 10. I think I was 10dbs by the second night LOL When I started NROL in earnest, I started with the just the bar for Squats and deads, and 40 lbs for rows and pulls. I had the most trouble with the shoulder presses. I spent three weeks at 10, then 15 and finished with 20. I tried 25 the last 2 days and barely pulled it off.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training for quite some time, and was told a thousand different things by a thousand different people (which is why I started Nrol4W... to have a set workout plan and some clarity). When I first started my Stage 1 exercises----which was only a week ago
    I used 10 pounds but would jump to 15 during the next set. I'm hoping to jump up to the 20 pound weight by Stage 2, but it's only wishful thinking.

With squats (I use a smith machine because it's all we have really), the weight varies. I typically start with 50 (bar + 15lb plates on both sides) and have since increased it to about 60 or so... which I can barely finish 15.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I think if they are tough then you're using the right amount of weight. Don't worry about what other people are doing - I always see little tiny girls that can lift MUCH more then me and I'm like "how do they do that?!" Just do what you can and set your sights on getting stronger!

I agree with this too.

I started with these weights (Stage 1)

Squats - body weight, then just the bar
    Deadlift - just the bar
    Pushups - 60 degree incline
    Seated Row - 40 lb.
    Step-ups - 20 lb./hand (started with low step, aerobic + 2 risers ea. side)
    Shoulder Press - 10 lb./hand
    Lat Pulldown - 40 lb.
    Lunge - 10 lb./hand
    Swiss Ball Crunch - body weight
    Prone Jackknife - body weight. *Also, for entertainment value, I fell off that damn ball. Twice! Once during each set. They're still hard for me, but they do get easier!
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I started:

Squats - 35lb
    Deadlift - 21
    Pushups - T style
    Seated Row - 46 lb.
    Step-ups - 22 lb per hand (started on the stairs in my house)
    Shoulder Press - 11 lb in each hand
    Pull over - 17 lb
    Lunge - 22 lb in each hand
    Prone Jackknife - body weight.

I think really you just have to go with what feels right to you. I look at the other people in the gym and go "I must look so puny compared to their weights" but there's no way in hell I'm lifting what they are yet! If it feels heavy to you and you struggle on the last couple in a set I think you're doing it right :smile: You can tell in the first couple of reps if the weight is too light then you can up the weight. Its all about experimentation. Like now I do 77lb rows but the first couple of times I did it I couldn't complete the last set but the weight below was too easy so I went to failure until I could do all my reps.

Hope that helps
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    started:

Squats - 44lb
    Deadlift - 58
    Pushups - 30 degrees
    Bent over Row - 28 lb.
    Step-ups - 17.6 lb per hand (started on the stairs in my house)
    Shoulder Press - 28.6 lb in each hand
    Pull over - 17.6 lb
    Lunge - 17.6 lb in each hand

I'm not sure that these are the best starting weights - I struggle for the last rep but don't seem to feel it the next day at all
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    started:

Squats - 44lb
    Deadlift - 58
    Pushups - 30 degrees
    Bent over Row - 28 lb.
    Step-ups - 17.6 lb per hand (started on the stairs in my house)
    Shoulder Press - 28.6 lb in each hand
    Pull over - 17.6 lb
    Lunge - 17.6 lb in each hand

I'm not sure that these are the best starting weights - I struggle for the last rep but don't seem to feel it the next day at all

28.6 lb for shoulder press is seriously impressive! If you could do that, then really your bentover rows can probably be at 60-70 lbs (I assume it was 28 in each hand for rows?) Gosh, I *finished* stage 1 at 25lb for presses but that was really too much for my bad shoulder.