Contemplating starting the Dukan next week

Options
goblem
goblem Posts: 12 Member
Hey all,

I think I am going to start Dukan online next week. It seems pricey (140.00 GBP for me) but I have heard some good things.

2 years ago, I had success losing 2.5 stone on the Cambridge diet (you drink shakes and soups) - I kept the weight off for a while and gained it back after moving overseas and totally letting myself go (I believe if I had been in the UK I would have been able to avoid putting as much on).

For the last 2 months, I have been trying to eat well and exercise (a lot) - I lost a few lbs, but nothing to keep me motivated and now I actually seem to be gaining weight!

I've had enough and I would like something to follow and stick by, but still do some exercise (I partucularly enjoy running and classes). I've thought about going back to the Cambridge diet but I cant resort to shakes only again, it was painful.

I've read a few posts on here and there have been some positive things said. I have 2 stone to lose and need bit of guidance I think. Do you think I should go ahead with it? The online version seems pretty good.

Let me know your thoughts!

Maria

Replies

• sisdunbar
    sisdunbar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

After reading your post, I thought I would tell you about my little journey on the Dukan Diet.

Willpower is the first thing you need and you need to follow it completely, otherwise once you reach the last phase and start eating normally, that's where the dangers are to regain weight.

Why is it going to cost you so much money? I bought the book and followed that and also by using lots of random sites from people on the diet. After completing the diet, I thought I'd try the official site but I needn't have because everything you need, you can access from the Internet!

So anyway, I've been following the diet since September. Okay, I only needed to lose a stone, not a lot, but I did it within a month! However, you may reach your 'True Weight' that quickly but it's not the end of the diet as such. You need to 'own that weight' which is where the Consolidation and Stabilisation Phases comes into it.

So would I recommend this diet, definitely! Friends at work saw immediate changes in my body image and have now joined in too, with success! To make all this even better,I did it without doing a shred of exercise! Not something I would promote, but at the time I had a very bad back and hadn't done any for months. Now, I am at my target weight and have been maintaining for about three months with absolutely no bother. I wanted to lose a few more pounds just to see if I can (mad!!)

Also, might I add, at the end of the diet, you are allowed two celebration meals and two starchy meals a week as long as you keep Thursdays as a protein day only. It works, and although the first few Attack days can be hard, you will soon reap the benefits and you won't mind! I weigh myself everyday (obsessed but advised) and although it is up a pound or two in the week, I guarantee, by the Friday (which is my weigh-in day) I will be either below my target weight or spot on!

If you do decide to give it a try, I'm more than happy to give you tips, recipes etc. I can't talking about the diet because I love it. My son's eyes just glaze over as soon as I get started!!!
  • goblem
    Options
    Hey!

Thank you so much - that is really helpful!

Re. the money - I was going to buy the book this week (actually I went to buy it yesterday but they only had the cook book) and when I had a look on the website, I saw you can sign up and they do a strict plan for you to follow, plus give you the true weight you should actually be an so on. It's tempting as I would literally have meal plans and resources at my hands, there is a free helpline and loads of other resources. Plus, much like MFP, you calculate your daily weight etc etc. I might try and avoid the site, I get too easily sucked into these things!

I live in Dubai (moving back to the UK in the Summer and do not want to go back this weight), so I am hoping I can get hold of the oat bran and stuff. I also tarvel with hard (although that should be minimal for the next 2-3 months) so that can make it hard too.

I will sure ask you for some advice! Thanks so much.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am in my 50s and have had a tough time losing weight. My sister used the Dukan to lose 10 pounds she didn't need to lose (lol) and we are twins so I didn't have the excuse that it was my age keeping me back. I started about 4 weeks ago and have lost 10 pounds so far. I was very strict during the attack phase but have lightened up during the cruise phase. By this I mean I allow myself some extra goodies to keep me on track. These include a square of dark chocolate a day and a little more fat for dressings and such. I also eat vegies everyday. Despite these lapses, I have continued to lose about 2 pounds a week. I love the "no counting calories" aspect of the plan. I work nights so pretty much eat around the clock.

This plan really works, it doens't have to be expensive if you look around the web and/or buy the book on Amazon. There are plenty of low cost lean protein options out there too. GOOD LUCK!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on the web site, can you get a relative to post you the book? i know Tesco were selling it for £5:00
    I lost a stone in 10 days on the attack phase, and have since lost around 4 stone in total but adapted the diet to suit me as there were not enough carbs for me as i started going to the gym and felt very lethargic with no energy to run on the treadmill

good luck :-)
  • sisdunbar
    Options
    Wow! Well done you! It's good to hear other success stories. Are you still quite strict about the Protein Thursday days? I swear by it and because I am on the Stabilisation Phase it's nice to know I can have the odd choccie bar etc without it hindering my weight. In theory by this stage you are supposed to eat as you please, but to be honest I've adapted my diet to the Consolidation Phase of two starchy meals/two celebration meals a week because I think it's too easy to overindulge again otherwise.
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    I so needed to read these posts tonight. I works lots of night shifts too and my eating can be irratic. I lost 18kg last year but I've put it all back on since my Ankle injury in December :(

I've not been able to exercise the past couple of months and well food has been my solace

I am considering the Dukan I've seen a friend do really well but I've not picked up the book as such was doing some research tonight and it looks like something I can do.

I think I'm definitely going to give it a go :)
  • goblem
    Options
    Hey All,

So I started the Dukan yesterday after a lot of research. I ended up buying the book AND paying for the online thing (I don't do things by halfs and wanted all of the resources at my finger tips). I'm not the most inventive when it comes to food and the recipes are amazing, I just need to make the effort to go and buy some of the ingrediants I don't own. I did drop a lb over night and I'm hoping this journey will promptly get me under the 11 stones mark where i have been struggling to get for ages.

I've been killing myself with healthy eating and exercise all year with little results, I am someone that needs to be nspired and see results fast. I'm hoping this will change everything.

Thank you for all of your advice!

I will keep you updated on my journey!
  • sisdunbar
    Options
    Hi!
    How's it going? Do you have a plan, like how long you're on Attack before moving onto Cruise? Might I suggest you have a look on http://proteinweightlossdiet.net for the Dukan bread you can eat on Cruise. You might need it when you start craving carbs. I loved it with Philidelphia (Extra light) spread on top and (runny) boiled eggs.
    Another site I found was http://mydukandiet.com/recipes/

Good luck
  • goblem
    Options
    Hey! I am doing well so far I think... As I joined the website too, it gave me my plan - to get to my true weight I have 34 lbs to lose, I have basically 3 days of attack (last day today) and then I go into Cruise Phase until 27th July. I have actually been very ill over the last week with Bronchitis and still do not have my appetite back (these moments are rare) so I have found it okay. I have some yoghurt and the oat bran in the mornings and for lunch today I brought x2 hrd boiled eggs and some ham.

I will certainly check out those websites though - thank you!

One thing I have found hard to get is 0 fat and 0 sugar yoghurt. Ive got the 0 fat but they are not 0 sugar. I will have to look around. The good thing is, I don't really have any major disturbances in the next 2.5 months. I just need to stay focused and be prepared with what I am making for lunch for work every day. I am used to drinking the water from my days of the Cambridge diet, that always stuck with me.

I know I am going to get a huge craving for chocolate soon so I need to look at some of the recipes around that.

So far, so good! I haven't read too much bad press on the Dukan wither which has really inspired me.
  • jaxson65
    jaxson65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother joining online save your money for other things. I have followed the book along with my sister and we have both done really well on it. Yes you need lots of willpower but then you need willpower for any diet. Stick to the rules and you'll be fine. You can always friend me and chat along the way whilst doing it. There are hundreds of tips you can get online.
  • jaxson65
    jaxson65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Best one to go for is Total 0% Greek Yoghurt. More expensive but more filling too. I mix it with sweetener and a flavoured essence.
  • krenwren
    Options
    Best one to go for is Total 0% Greek Yoghurt. More expensive but more filling too. I mix it with sweetener and a flavoured essence.

Trader Joe's makes a great fat free greek yogurt. When I am feeling cheap, I have also tried our local market's brand, not too bad! I have lost successfully having one fruited yogurt a day. It does have a little sugar in it but hasn't impeded my loss. For the plain yogurt, I add a little stevia and vanilla, tastes great!
  • sebajl01
    sebajl01 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am also contemplating starting the Dukan next week, I did the diet last year for a wedding i was going to be in and had great results,( 140 to size 117) but over the winter i slid back a little not much, but enough that i would like to see my weight back to what it was, if not a little less. Last week I started the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, and find that the diet portion in ways it's similar to the dukan diet ( no sugars, not so many starches, lots of protein and veggies) so I think it would be easy to convert over since i've pretty much eliminated the sugars and starches from my diet already. I didn't have a problem with pure protein days the first time around and I used a lot of sugar free items , but i'm thinking this time i would like to steer clear of aspartame and use the Agave nectar, truvia or Honey, if i use any at all.

Best of luck to everyone
  • krenwren
    Options
    , but i'm thinking this time i would like to steer clear of aspartame and use the Agave nectar, truvia or Honey, if i use any at all.

Best of luck to everyone
    I use agave to sweeten my plain yogurt, a little goes a long way and can help with cravings. I use stevia in my oat bran in the morning and again, helps my sweet tooth and helps me to stay on track.
  • sebajl01
    sebajl01 Posts: 4
    Options
    i heard a comment the other day that artificial sweeteners were like fertilizer to cancer, and it kind of haunts me. I've always been weary of them but it just seems logical to avoid them. Jillian recommends using organic and stay away from hfcs and artificial sweeteners and It just makes sense to me. I've been quite happy with the agave nectar so far.
  • Anniepoo04
    Anniepoo04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I am thinking about starting the Dukan next week also. My mom and sister have lost a lot of weight on it and both look so good. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around it. But would love to lose some weight fast I am in my forties and everything just comes off so slow any more and even when I count calories my body says no I will just hold on to that for you. I would love to hear how your first week goes.
  • sweetpinot
    Options
    Hey new Dukaners! I am just wrapping up my first 5 days and think I have to agree with the "make it your own" theory. It is a pretty restrictive diet, but has incredible results.

I have lost 5.4 lbs in 5 days, with one night having a birthday party (ate a cupcake) and one night drinking (2 vodka sodas). I am sure that I could have increased my results by skipping out on these indulgences, but at the same time I don't think I could stick with this diet without a alcohol and a sweet once in a while. It's entirely up to you and how your body responds, but mine dropped 2lbs the day after I ate the cupcake and .5 this morning (the day after the alcohol) whereas other days I have had 0. :)

I'll check back in with you next week to let you know how things are going - I'm hoping to lose 10-15 lbs on this and can't believe I'm 1/3 of the way there already! I know the first 5 are always the easiest... but the kickstart of this week is really motivating to me.

Good luck - we can all support each other!
  • sfb2510
    sfb2510 Posts: 28
    Options
    Sainsbury's stock normandy fromage frais and quark as part of their "be good to you" range x
  • xstarriexeyezx
    xstarriexeyezx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I restarted this last sunday and have so far lost half a stone which is great. It is hard to stay motivated sometimes as a depressed student far from home but it is worth it and I just keep telling myself that. I have a dinner party next tuesday and the healthy options are as expensive as the non healthy and It will be on a pp day so guess I might just wing it for a night :)
    glad to hear your all doing well :)
    xx