Itchy skin

Options
Hello peeps,

My skin has been itchy a bit for the past few days. On my thighs mostly, tummy and back.
Is it that my skin is stretching and I am putting weight on?
Is this a new symptom I haven't come across yet?

Let me know please if you are familiar with this.
Thanks

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It could be either of those. Dry skin and frizzy hair are symptoms of being hypo, but last time I gained weight I got stretch marks on my thighs. I lost some of the weight and kept lotioning it and it looks much better now.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Dry skin, dry hair, dry fingernails is a common symptom of hypothyrodism: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/

I also have itchy skin a lot -- I have related it to a very low-fat diet. So, I have to be diligent about putting a lot of body lotion on my skin - especially my legs. But I also don't want my body to suck up the fat that's in oils, so I use oil-free body lotion.

My hair is so dry, that my hairdresser has to give me special conditioning treatments.
  • Farfelue
    Farfelue Posts: 63
    Options
    Terri you are joking? No oil body lotion?
    Why, do you think it would translate as weight you put on?

I use sweet almond oil religiously... :ohwell: am I doing all wrong?
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    If I don't use oil every day on my skin it shrivels up and itches like crazy! I don't think it can cause weight gain, or any other problems.
    Lather it all on as much as it is needed and enjoy!:laugh:
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    LOL - Nuetrogena and Gold Bond both have great oil-free lotion. And yes, I was dieting extremely low fat and my body would have used the oil on my skin as fat... but that was just for 30 days... now I am back to normal. Still, I like the Gold Bond lotion a lot!!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have always had very dry skin. My dad had a goiter and he too had dry skin. I take Omega 3's for my triglycerides. They used to be in the high 260"s now are down to below 100. My weight didn't change, and neither did my skin. I use Amlactin which I get at Costco to get rid of the dry skin cells on my legs, arms and feet. It's a lotion but I use either Aveeno or St. Ives lotions after. It really doesn't get rid of dry skin but it does help the itching. I use Tea Tree Oil on my cuticle and finger nails then instead of polish, which is drying. I use Sally Hansen nail strengthener, which is clear.. There again, you just have to experiment. Of course, it's always worse in the winter.:grumble: Be sure you are drinking lots of water. Hydrates the skin. Try the little travel sizes for the Aveeno and St Ives before buying the large bottles. See if you like them. Also, Eucern is a good skin lotion. Eucern cream is what is used in prescription creams as a base. Pricy but good. I find it sort of sticky.

Hope this is one suggestion that might help. I'm sure there will be others that will be good too:love: .

Ginny:flowerforyou:
  • Bree1294
    Bree1294 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello all, this is my first post but one in which I thought was important. The whole Hypo/Hyper roller-coaster is one that I am sure everyone struggles with. Dry skin is one of the dreaded side effects. My skin would get so dry at times that it would litterally crack and become so very sore. An additional side effect I had was a very low Vitamin D3 level. So I began using supplements and using lotion on a regular basis. Most lotions say they are effective, but I tend to disagree... I went through about all the name brands as well as some others. The best lotion I found was St. Ives and I use the one with collagen which seems to be effective for my skin. I do have rather sensitive skin as well, so finding a lotion that really works, and doesn't cause additional issues is worth it in my book. Good luck my friend....
  • Crawline
    Crawline Posts: 1,028
    Options
    I have dry skin ALL the time!! Winter is when it is the worst. My legs are fairly bad, if I am wearing my capri yoga pants, and cross my legs, I leave flaky skin behind on my pants. My elbows are very pointy and get sooo bad sometimes they hurt to wear clothing. I just apply lotion, lots and lots of it! My face gets dry whenever I step out of the shower, it feels like I have one of those facial masks painted on my face (which of course is not the case). I am still in the process of trying to find a lotion that suits my needs, as of course, everyone is different.

Good luck!!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have dry skin ALL the time!! Winter is when it is the worst. My legs are fairly bad, if I am wearing my capri yoga pants, and cross my legs, I leave flaky skin behind on my pants. My elbows are very pointy and get sooo bad sometimes they hurt to wear clothing. I just apply lotion, lots and lots of it! My face gets dry whenever I step out of the shower, it feels like I have one of those facial masks painted on my face (which of course is not the case). I am still in the process of trying to find a lotion that suits my needs, as of course, everyone is different.

Good luck!!

This:(

My dermatologist told me to use Dove soap in the shower and on my face. She recommended no shower gels or bath washes as they have ingredients that dry the skin.:noway: I have to admit I do like the Dove. I use Borghese/Kirkland face cream purchased at Costco (when they have it) and it feels wonderful on my face. I wish everyone luck on finding the products that work for them.

Ginny:flowerforyou: