missed a week of training

Options
bonjour24
bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
I've got a marathon in 2 weeks and 6 days, and because of illness, i've just taken the last week off. it was meant to be the last week before taper, and now i don't really know what to do- do i repeat this week but skip next week? or do i just start to taper and trust my training will get me there?

please help!

FWIW, my last long run was 2 weeks ago and was 23 miles. i did a 10k race last week. this week was supposed to be 18 miles (but was skipped), and next week is 12 miles.

my marathon is on 28th april.

what would you do?

Replies

• Rsespaniak
    Rsespaniak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If your last long run was 23 miles and you've done some other 20 milers (and even if you hadn't), I'd just enjoy the taper at this point. You've done the work to build your base. Now you just want to make sure you don't injure yourself and that your body is adequately rested to run the marathon. You don't need to try and make up for the lost week.

Training plans seldom go totally as planned and sometimes you have to just go with the flow. Listen to your body. If your 12 miler is going good and you want to extend it a little, go for it. But you'll probably be fine either way.

Good luck with your marathon!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of two week tapers as I find three weeks leaves me a little flat. I always do my last 20 miler two weeks before race day.

Perhaps consider going between 17 - 20 next weekend and then 10 the week before the race.

Listen to your body for sure.

Good luck!
  • bonjour24
    Options
    cheers for the responses, guys. i feel alot more confident about it now!

i think i'll bump up the miles a little and aim for a 15 miler, and if it's going well just keep going a bit further.

tbh, i'm happy to know that i don't have to do another massive run until race day.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    This is your 1st? You made it to 23 which is AWESOME. I have never gone pass 20 and I mostly stick to 18 as my longest run. However my weekly mileage can sometimes be high, You will do fine. Training can only take you so far. Race day will also be affected by weather, health, course, etc etc..

Good luck. Mine is the same weekend as yours! This weekend I just did a 20 miler. Im tapering..This weekend my long run is a 1/2 marathon. and next weekend I do a 15 but my weekely miles stays high with 2-5's and 2-8's each week
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I think you'll be fine. You are so close to race day that the majority of your training adaptations have already occurred. Just do as others suggested, run a longer run this weekend and continue on to your taper.
  • Reikofs
    Reikofs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that training doesn't always go as planned. U can bump up your mileage by a few miles to around 15. I wouldn't go too much further than that. It is better to under train than to overtrain towards the end. You at least got in a 20+ miler so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can always add a few miles to your weekly total this week but follow your plan especially the week before the race.
  • bonjour24
    Options
    Thanks guys. I ended up doing 25.5kms, or 15.7 miles. I think that will do! Cheers for your input- it's very much appreciated. I can't believe it's only 2 weeks away. I'm nervously excited :-) I also can't believe that even I can't deny that I'm an endurance athlete!! Me- an athlete!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I ended up doing 25.5kms, or 15.7 miles. I think that will do! Cheers for your input- it's very much appreciated. I can't believe it's only 2 weeks away. I'm nervously excited :-) I also can't believe that even I can't deny that I'm an endurance athlete!! Me- an athlete!

Way to go! Now comes Taper Madness...
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    knowing how much training you've put in excluding this week, im sure your base is sufficient for the marathon.

good luck! I cant wait to hear your result