Finally back in ketosis

Options
PeggyWoodson
PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
I was in ketosis last week. However, my husband and I ate lunch at a buffet on Friday. We tried to be careful of what we ate but you guessed it. It threw me completely out of ketosis. I've been keeping my carbs down nice and low and finally, four days later, I'm back in. It took me four days to undo what one meal did to my system.

If you are tempted to eat out, or cheat on your diet, please read this. If you are still tempted, read it again.

It wasn't worth it. that one meal was not worth what it did to my progress. I only succeeded in cheating myself. I didn't hurt anyone but me.

Lesson learned. And I know in my heart that this site is just what I need. I am able to keep up with the numbers and all the calculations are done for me. I will use this site to my advantage and stay on my diet.

I have 30 lbs to loose and I am going to do it. No more cheating, no more eating out. If I cheat, I hope someone copies this and posts it on my page for me to read again.

It sure wasn't worth the damage it did not counting the setback.
Lesson learned.

Replies

• alabelle1
    alabelle1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thank u for this...
    i am trying desperatly to get into ketosis....besides ur last issue how long did it take u before to get into it?
    thanks for any help! :-)
  • superstankazz
    Options
    thank u for this...
    i am trying desperatly to get into ketosis....besides ur last issue how long did it take u before to get into it?
    Sometimes eating too much protein can delay ketosis. Maybe you could try increasing healthy fat and decreasing protein. Add extra avocado, olive oil, and macadamia nuts or sneak some heavy whipping cream into your diet wherever you can. The extra fat should kick start ketosis right away:happy:
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    thank u for this...
    It took me five days before this last time. Have you read the Atkins books?

I found I had to increase my fat intake. I did that by using bacon grease to fry my eggs and also by making my own homemade yogurt to eat. My homemade Greek yogurt has 0 carbs and 40 grams of fat per serving. I make my yogurt with heavy whipping cream and use Fage Greek yogurt as my starter. If I can help at all, please let me know.
  • PJoy6
    PJoy6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I checked yesterday and was 'out of' ketosis, but I ate clean yesterday - so hopefully when I stick to it today, by the end of the day I am back in baby.

I always thought that if I went into ketosis, the weight would just fall off me, but I am struggling with the scale - it's still only a 1/2 pound loss a week.

Even through the holiday I was able to resist ALL candy and ALL bread.
    I got out of ketosis because I had dessert at Easter, not from some bread and sugar binge.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I have found over the years that the mornings don't show ketosis for me. Not till I get up and start burning calories and fat for energy. I am far more likely to show ketosis in the evening or at night. I am sticking with it this time.

I also find that when I increase the amount of fish I eat, I tend to loose weight better. I have been adding fish to my meals. I think maybe I will have fish for my evening meals for several days and see how that works for me.

My food diary is open to my friends. Any suggestions or questions you have please feel free.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I checked yesterday and was 'out of' ketosis, but I ate clean yesterday - so hopefully when I stick to it today, by the end of the day I am back in baby.

I always thought that if I went into ketosis, the weight would just fall off me, but I am struggling with the scale - it's still only a 1/2 pound loss a week.

Even through the holiday I was able to resist ALL candy and ALL bread.
    I got out of ketosis because I had dessert at Easter, not from some bread and sugar binge.

Your post of 1/2 lb a week made me think. So I went back and checked and yep, I'm right there with you at a half pound a week. I also recently bought a Leslie Sansone Walk With Me DVD and have been trying to do that three days a week. Some weeks I only get in two but I'm trying and I want to kick that up a notch to 5 days a week. Going to take discipline here. I am 63 and my joints hurt so bad. I keep telling myself, You can do this.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 too and I started with Leslie many years ago to start to exercise. Now I do the 30 day shred and jog!!!
    I read the new Atkins book and they don't rely on the keto sticks anymore.
    I used them in the past and was frustrated this time because they don't show much.
    BUT--I'm much more active now--I drink alot more water and my body is different.
    So don't stress out too much, you have found the magic bullet--EXERCISE!!
    Just keep on what you are doing and try to move about 30 min everyday--even if it is a little walk.
    Soon you will be on Amazon looking for WATP Walk and Kick--or Walk and Jog. I still pull them out once in awhile.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I'm 63 too and I started with Leslie many years ago to start to exercise. Now I do the 30 day shred and jog!!!
    I read the new Atkins book and they don't rely on the keto sticks anymore.
    I used them in the past and was frustrated this time because they don't show much.
    BUT--I'm much more active now--I drink alot more water and my body is different.
    So don't stress out too much, you have found the magic bullet--EXERCISE!!
    Just keep on what you are doing and try to move about 30 min everyday--even if it is a little walk.
    Soon you will be on Amazon looking for WATP Walk and Kick--or Walk and Jog. I still pull them out once in awhile.

Wish I could jog but I have an awful history with osteoporosis and can't take the chance of falling. I broke 11 bones in 13 years. Last year I fell and shattered both bones in my wrist. So I don't jog or run.

I enjoy the Leslie Sansone DVD and would like to find a low impact dance DVD that I could do as well. I like to dance and I think that is an excellent way to loose weight. Any suggestions on Dance DVDs? I even thought about Richard Simmons. I've never even watched one of his DVDs but I'm willing to look into any suggestions anyone has.

Anyone, Anyone, Anyone,,,,,, Buller????
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ketostix show excess ketones. You may be in ketosis, but not have excess ketones. Which is why many people stop checking regularly. It's a tool, but not always the most accurate one. After more than three months in, I now only check if I have a cheat meal looking to see if I've returned.

Enough time in ketosis, and over the long haul your body will also adapt to using ketones better and you may stop having excess ones to test too.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I actually have the old "Sweatin' to the Oldies" Its a guilty pleasure. Super hoakey but fun. I think they have them on DVD now at Amazon.
    When I started Leslie it was a 15 min 1 mile with weights. I couldn't even do it alone with no weights, then I got soup cans, then three mile weights and now I use five pounds for most of my DVDs.
    My freind has osteo really bad (she's a Tai Chi buddy) and goes to the gym five days a week to do exercises. She fell recently and shattered her pelvis. As soon as she went home she was back in the gym----complaining that her trainer would only allow 15 min with only half the weight. She is my hero.
    Start slow--the phrase "No Pain No Gain" is full of cow poopie--do what you like, but do something as often as you can.
    BUT--know that your keto sticks may be real light when you start exercising, that doesn't mean that you are messing things up.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I do appreciate the info. I'm going to look into getting another DVD to go with my Leslie. I love to dance and my husband just doesn't so I wouldn't mind dancing all alone. Such good exercise.

Thanks
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    Ketostix show excess ketones. You may be in ketosis, but not have excess ketones. Which is why many people stop checking regularly. It's a tool, but not always the most accurate one. After more than three months in, I now only check if I have a cheat meal looking to see if I've returned.

Enough time in ketosis, and over the long haul your body will also adapt to using ketones better and you may stop having excess ones to test too.

Good info. Thanks bunches.
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I always thought long term ketosis was bad for your health. Where can I find information about this? I am interested in learning more. :)
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    Get a book by Doctor Atkins.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    Get a book by Doctor Atkins.
    There is so much more to the diet than the ketosis. He teaches you how to add carbs back to your diet till you reach a critical carbohydrate level. (CCL) At that level you are still burning fat for fuel but are not in as deep a state of ketosis.
    Try Dr Atkins Diet Revolution.
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me over the weekend.
    Had a little dressing with my spiral ham on Easter and the next morning I was out of Ketosis!! I also gained a lb!
    Since Monday I have been eating clean and exercising, I hope I'm back to at least trace ketones on Friday and minus a few lbs.\
    Thanks for posting this topic
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I knocked myself out with an adult beverage :(. It was finally PURPLE! lol. Now to get there again.
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information everyone! I needed to get some motivation going and you guys delivered! Thanks Again!
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    Thanks for the information everyone! I needed to get some motivation going and you guys delivered! Thanks Again!
    Honey, I have enough motivation for you and me and everyone on this site. I have decided that my body doesn't want to do this. I want to do this but my body is totally dragging it's feet. Now, I ask, who's gonna win???? I'm gonna win. I have 30 lbs to loose and I can do it. I have put my mind to finding out why this weight loss has been so slow for me. 6 lbs since January 5th is way too slow for the honest effort I am putting in. I found out today through some of the research I did on the internet that I am not getting nearly enough protein. I had gastric bypass and should be getting 128 grams of protein governed by my own body weight and the formula provided. I have adjusted my goals to correct that.

I AM going to do this. Motivation is strong and enough to share. If you want someone who is totally motivated yet struggling and will not give up, then add me as a friend. Just keep in mind I'm honest. If you say why am I not loosing and I look at your food diary and you ate 6000 calories for three days I'll be the one who will be your best friend and tell you. But I'll do it gently.
    Thanks everyone.