Poll for my curiosity

Options
So, I'm just wondering how many people here who have gone paleo/primal are former vegans/vegetarians? I was vegetarian for about 6 years and vegan for almost 2. I always thought it was so healthy and so ethical and I couldn't understand why I couldn't lose weight (or gained so easily) and why I felt terrible.

Just curious- were you once a vegetarian too??

Replies

• ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 10 years.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was a semi vegetarian for a few years (my mom wouldn't let me go full out in high school) I still ate poulty and seafood.

I got SOO bored, still don't really love chicken.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No...but last year before eating primal I had those veggie hot dogs......yuck!!!! :)
  • CeeGray
    CeeGray Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was for six months. My daughter is vegan and I am worried sick about her. My son is joining me in Paleo when he can. LOL I can't get him away from fast foods yet but am working on it. My daughter is overweight, my son is not. She eats/depends on grains and such, my son is a meat man.

I wish I could convince my daughter to listen to me but I know it is futile. :*( Heartbreaking, honestly.

Sigh.
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I definitely ate less meat and felt like I was doing "so well" on meatless days.
    I'd eat one giant bowl of quinoa with tomato sauce and be so bloated and hungry a little later. Healthy...uh huh.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    nope...always been a meat eater
  • coconutty420
    coconutty420 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    About 6 years as a veggie. Never could digest tofu or seitan so my protien levels were stupid low.eventually added fish and eggs back and felt an instant boost. I probably gained about 25-30 pounds while I was trying to lose on a vegetarian diet. I was so frustrated because I thought I was doing everything right! Feel much better now doing primal and would never go back!
  • heathernz
    heathernz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Never contemplated not eating meat!! Bacon is far too close to my heart :)
  • druidqueen
    Options
    Nope. My family hunts and fishes waaay too much for that.
  • treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 4 years when I was a teenager (now aged 30) - that's when my weight problems started looking back!
  • polaris8
    polaris8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian in the sense that most of the processed foods I ate, including meats, were composed of corn and grain by-products. I came into Paleo/Primal as a result of wanting foods that are whole, natural, organic, wild or nutritionally complete.
  • graygirl73
    graygirl73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was for about 6 months on and off until I learned about the health risks associated with processed soy, which I was using to replace meat.
  • hollyannmarshall
    hollyannmarshall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yep .On and off for 3 years (high school and post-college). YUCK!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 11 years, since I was 15. I've only been eating meat for a few months and made the switch to Primal shortly after that. I had been having pretty intense cravings for meat anytime I cooked it for my husband (even though I couldn't even really remember what it tasted like), so I finally decided to listen to my body and give it what it was asking for. I realized that being vegetarian was the only life decision that I made as a teenager that I hadn't re-evaluated as an adult, after all...I'm not still dating the boyfriend I had at 15 or in the Peace Corp like I thought I'd be. Things change!
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yep! For about 4 or 5 years in my late teens/early 20's. I was the chubbiest I've ever been too!
  • gersoco
    gersoco Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Great question and some interesting answers....
    I was vegan for about 8 years and after that vegetarian before deciding I really needed to do something about my health and so I went Primal. Haven't looked back, well maybe just a tad.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Tried it a few times, but it just didn't work for me.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes. Vegetarian for 15 years, vegan for a couple of those years. Began to cheat occasionally towards the end there though! Darn pepperoni pizzas. Obese throughout those 15 years, yup, even as a vegan. I was just a B12 deficient, obese vegan.
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Never all out vegetarian but a big carboholic, Just now getting back into guacamole without the chips! I also loved baking my own bread and cinnamon rolls. But I can tell you that I suffered with stomach bloating and weight gain because of it. Since going paleo it is really easy to say no to the carbs and yes to fat and protein.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Never was. Never had an interest. Always knew it wasn't healthy.

But I didn't eat steak as a kid because my mom cooked hockey pucks, not steak.

I can thank the Outback for introducing me to Filet Mignon. And my man for introducing me to wild game.