What is everybody doing : counting calories or counting carb

Options
2»

Replies

• Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I watch my calories, in fact I upped it on MFP and had lost weight.
  • marlad33
    marlad33 Posts: 37
    Options
    Calorie counting is the 1st thing and then I'm watching the carb count and then of course the sodium. As I get better at this I"m hoping that it won't feel like such a strict regiment but for now it's something that I have to do to get on the lifestyle change that will stick!:smile:
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure I have adequate protein to build my muscles. Lots of healthy fats to maintain proper brain and organ function, and non processed carbs.

I eat when I am hungry...every 2-4 hours and as much as I feel I need at the time. It's different everyday, depending on my workout or recovery.

Carbs and fat are not the enemy, you need them to lose weight....for your body to function. You just have to make sure the forms that your receive these macro nutrients are good sources.

Weightloss (more importantly bodyfat loss) isn't just about calories in vs calories out. That is an over simplification of our complex bodies.:smile:
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I tried South Beach and Atkins. I can't do low-carb or no-carb longterm. I end up cheating and going overboard. So, for now, counting calories is effective.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Calories always, but I monitor my sugar, sodium and saturated fats since they cause me the most trouble. I talk the sugar counts with a grain of salt because I consume kefir, yogurt and fruits/veggies every day. I reduce the count by the natural sugars found in those items and if the remainder exceeds my daily goal, then I work on it going forward (but that hasn't happened too often).

I eat lots of protein because I'm doing strength training and starting to lift more weight. I try to average about 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. Haven't checked my body fat% in a few weeks, but my pants are falling off, so I figure something is leaving.
  • Nektariosmom
    Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Counting calories only. Last year I was on WW and felt the points just took some extra work/figuring..than calorie counting. With calorie counting and this great website you can just type something and POOF there is all the information. I want this to be a way of life...not a chore or a math problem I need to solve each day. However I am tracking my sodium as well.... I have huge problems with retaining water and for the last 2 weeks I have drank at least 80 oz of water each day. I can always tell by my wedding ring...in the early AM and late PM my ring leaves a mark. In the afternoon its as loose as can be...I havent cheated on my diet and I work out everyday....so not sure whats going on with that..But Im not giving up :)

Hi, I have a big problem with water retention too. I gain five pounds overnight when I am retaining water. I don't know why but it started when I turned around 40. It makes me feel horrible physically. Does drinking a lot of water help you? I have been drinking a lot of plain green tea. I have been counting calories only but I notice that my sugar level on MFP is sky high by lunch and I haven't eaten anything sweet. They give very low allowance levels? Well, it seems that way. lol Diabetes runs in my family so this is why I am monitoring it.
  • FairybugVal
    Options
    I'm just counting calories, but I'm experimenting with eliminating sugars this week and seeing if that helps. I've only been on this site for a week, but I've been effectively losing the same pound over and over again, LOL!

I'm also tracking what days I remember to take my vitamins. It seems to kick-start my metabolism when I remember them.
  • MrsAngelique
    MrsAngelique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 Calorie intake and count my calories, total fat, carbs, fiber, proteins. I have a count that I need to meet or not go over and this helps me balance out my meals to fit my goal:wink:
  • mangitangi
    Options
    Counting calories for sure. Carbs make me happy, so I can enjoy them and not go over on my calories!
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    my weight loss is slow so I have decided to count calories but only eat foods with a low glycaemic index - so I am avoiding breads, pasta, and starchy sweet vegetables and foods.
  • genuinely
    genuinely Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What you're doing sounds good. I think cutting carbs, especially sugar, which I think is a carb, can make a difference. I've been stuck since December too.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am trying to watch calories and carbs, and fat dont feel its any use coming under calories if its 10 mars bars a day lol
    At 42 i feel my body deserves good food, i try and not eat much processed food, and only brown rice/pasta etc...
    and fruit and veg, i want my body to last me years and years so i think i should treat it right.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Indeed - not all calories are created equal. ^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^