So sick of feeling like I have to fight myself daily

Options
Maxingtonbear
Maxingtonbear Posts: 47 Member
This is just a vent, so bear with me.
I was diagnosed to be hypo a few years ago, but my endo didn't think I was low enough to need a prescription for meds. I started seeing a new doctor (GP- stopped seeing my endo) last year & she decided that I DID need meds (THANK YOU!!!). I was hoping this would be a cure all & had high hopes. Started on Levothyroxine in Sept/Oct 2011. Things felt a little better but have been awful the past 2 months. I am just so sick of the constant feeling of wanting to face plant in the nearest couch or soft surface. And then having to force myself to exercise when ALL. I. WANT. TO. DO. IS. SLEEP.
I have a follow up appointment next week, as my doctor said my levels seemed off & she thinks it might be due to being on Levothyroxine & not Synthroid.
It just sucks. I want to feel like a "normal" person who doesn't have this constant struggle with extreme tiredness.
Ok, pity party over. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• hope2webb
    hope2webb Posts: 421
    Options
    I so understand what you are going thru..I have been feeling better the last couple of days (knock on wood) but I still can't seem to get out of bed very quickly in the morning..and the mood swings are still there and I am tired for along time after walking on the treadmill for only an hr.
    I do agree with your doc and not being on the synthroid..I seem to be more on a roller coaster when I was taking Levothyroxine vs the actual synthroid...but everyone is different. I don't see my doc til hopefully next month. I am going to have him do the full testing t3/t4 Rt3 and tsh..and maybe check me for adrenal fatigue (if theres a test for that)..Ive never been on such a roller coaster being on the actual synthroid..My husband thinks it is because I have changed my diet since trying to lose weight ( which I have managed to lose 10lbs so far!)
    Good luck!
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    I know this feeling well! Sit down for too long and sleep is instant! Frustrating. I can remember never seeing the whole of a programme or film on telly. Or awake for long enough to read more than 1 page of a book at once.
    Hang on in there. Hopefully your GP will sort you out quickly. It is just such a slow process. Trial and error is just so slow.
    Just something to bare in mind is that you need to have realistic ideas of what is achievable under normal circumstances. I mean that sometimes you are entitled to be tired!!!!!!:yawn: Life is hectic enough, ad a couple of extra bits and exhaustion is not far away. Have you seen an occupational therapist? They can help with a coping strategy.
    Good luck.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I hope you guys have had a chance to look at Stopthethyroidmadness.com -- I know I sound like a broken record, but for some people synthetic T4 is just not the answer. I spent 15 years on Synthroid (synthetic T4) and had every single hypothyroid symptom for the entire 15 years.

Most (not all) endos and GPs only test your TSH -- and then make bad decisions about your meds based on that. They don't test all the other levels that are absolutely critical to support your thyroid so that you can get relief from your symptoms.

There's also a group on Facebook you can join -- Stop The Thyroid Madness -- some of them are pretty extreme - they are self-medicating because they cannot find a doctor that will test them correctly and treat their symptoms. I'm certainly not advocating that, although we have one member of this MFP group from Ireland who is self-medicating because there's no doctors there that will do anything other than synthetic T4.

I've done a ton of studying on this -- been to untold endos and GPs -- and I do believe there is relief from hypo/hashi symptoms -- but you have to explore options beyond TSH labs!! It's about treating you holistically -- your entire body and all your symptoms -- it's about T3, T4, Thyroid Antibodies, Reverse T3, Adrenals, Ferritin, D3 levels --- and so on. You are not just a TSH :flowerforyou:

It's possible that Natural Dessicated Thyroid is for you -- but you won't really know that if you allow the endo to just test your TSH and prescribe synthetic T4.

Terri
  • hope2webb
    Options
    I hope you guys have had a chance to look at Stopthethyroidmadness.com -- I know I sound like a broken record, but for some people synthetic T4 is just not the answer. I spent 15 years on Synthroid (synthetic T4) and had every single hypothyroid symptom for the entire 15 years.

Most (not all) endos and GPs only test your TSH -- and then make bad decisions about your meds based on that. They don't test all the other levels that are absolutely critical to support your thyroid so that you can get relief from your symptoms.

There's also a group on Facebook you can join -- Stop The Thyroid Madness -- some of them are pretty extreme - they are self-medicating because they cannot find a doctor that will test them correctly and treat their symptoms. I'm certainly not advocating that, although we have one member of this MFP group from Ireland who is self-medicating because there's no doctors there that will do anything other than synthetic T4.

I've done a ton of studying on this -- been to untold endos and GPs -- and I do believe there is relief from hypo/hashi symptoms -- but you have to explore options beyond TSH labs!! It's about treating you holistically -- your entire body and all your symptoms -- it's about T3, T4, Thyroid Antibodies, Reverse T3, Adrenals, Ferritin, D3 levels --- and so on. You are not just a TSH :flowerforyou:

It's possible that Natural Dessicated Thyroid is for you -- but you won't really know that if you allow the endo to just test your TSH and prescribe synthetic T4.

Terri

What exact tests should I ask for? (I want to make sure I get it right..)

Thanks!
  • JuliesJourney
    JuliesJourney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My doctor (not an endo) told me that I wouldn't really start feeling better until six months after we got my levels in balance and i have found that to be accurate. So I would add to the other info you have to not expect to feel better after just a couple of months, there is a lot of damage done. It sucks, but hopefully you won't even remember how bad you felt by the end of the year.
  • tecallahan
    Options

What exact tests should I ask for? (I want to make sure I get it right..)

Thanks!

They are all here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/

Doctors are accustomed to calling all the shots, but you should have a say in what's going on-- one way to be more effective at this is to educate yourself about thyroid disease - I find stopthethyroidmadness.com to have the most complete information. Some of it is extreme (such as self-medicating), but I would have to walk a mile in the shoes of anyone who is so sick from their thyroid that they choose to get their own labs and medicate themselves. Can't judge them as I have been fortunate to find my Naturopath who is helping me.

Many of you have insurance issues -- what insurance will cover, etc. My insurance does cover Armour, but it does not cover treatment by my Naturopath. If that's the case for you, you have to find a GP or Endo that treats with natural dessicated thyroid (NDT). The website gives you tips for how to find a doctro also.

Terri
  • hope2webb
    Options
    Thanks Terri :smile:
  • Tinadid
    Tinadid Posts: 1
    Options
    I was diagnosed ten years ago, I still feel tired all of the time. I feel the way that you do, tired of being tired. I am always fighting my weight and too tired to work out. I force myself to workout, I always feel better after I do. I have gotten my weight down to 131 pounds a few times but I quickly go back up to 140 pounds.
  • TraceyHoseason
    Options
    Me too! I am so tired of always being so tired! Some days are worse than others i find but really dont know why. I'm having a bad day today, have loads to do and no energy!!
  • Farfelue
    Farfelue Posts: 63
    Options
    After 8 years of still feeling symptomatic, I finally felt good and "normal" a few months ago when my endo put me on T3 and T4.
    That changed everything for me.
    But it has been a long battle with GPs and several endos who didn't think T3 was necessary. I kept banging till the right door opened.

I owed it to myself and my family to be me again. And it's paid off.
  • heygina
    heygina Posts: 78
    Options
    This is just a vent, so bear with me.
    I was diagnosed to be hypo a few years ago, but my endo didn't think I was low enough to need a prescription for meds. I started seeing a new doctor (GP- stopped seeing my endo) last year & she decided that I DID need meds (THANK YOU!!!). I was hoping this would be a cure all & had high hopes. Started on Levothyroxine in Sept/Oct 2011. Things felt a little better but have been awful the past 2 months. I am just so sick of the constant feeling of wanting to face plant in the nearest couch or soft surface. And then having to force myself to exercise when ALL. I. WANT. TO. DO. IS. SLEEP.
    I have a follow up appointment next week, as my doctor said my levels seemed off & she thinks it might be due to being on Levothyroxine & not Synthroid.
    It just sucks. I want to feel like a "normal" person who doesn't have this constant struggle with extreme tiredness.
    Ok, pity party over. Thanks for reading!

Oh my goodness!

I thought I was the only one who did a "face plant in the nearest couch". I fall asleep when I quit moving!

Was just diagnosed 2 wks ago with an underactive thyroid and wondering when the synthroid generic will start to work. The more I read about low thyroid the more I shake my head and tell my husband, "I have ALL of these symptoms".

When do I get my energy back? for years I've felt like I just don't have as much get up and go as everyone else. This makes exercise so so incredibly hard!.

I'm so glad to find this message board. Thank you all. and please if you identify, friend me!
  • tecallahan
    Options
    When do I get my energy back? for years I've felt like I just don't have as much get up and go as everyone else. This makes exercise so so incredibly hard!.
    The answer to your question is "that depends"... I know there are some people that do well on Synthroid, however I took it for 15 years and had all the symptoms all those years.

Synthroid is synthetic T4. But your thyroid and metabolism is much more than that. To help you understand why just supplementing T4 doesn't work, you could read about it here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t4-only-meds-dont-work/

If you get through that, you may want to read some of the other topics that explain how your thyroid and metabolism work. Then you can figure out if it's worth it to you to be your own advocate and insist that the doctor treat your symptoms and not your TSH labs.

At the same time we are fighting for proper medical diagnosis and treatment we should also be holding ourselves accountable for what we eat. I have friends that can eat junk food, fast food, etc. and not gain weight.... but that ain't me. So, I can't blame my thyroid if I eat like crap and gain weight or can't lose weight!! So, do what ever you can to be a healthier you even if your thyroid isn't perfect!! :flowerforyou:

Terri
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was two years before I started to feel right. I did the same thing, tried the Levothyroxine and felt like I was still dead... (that's how I describe the feeling of not "feeling" right). They put me on Armour Thyroid and I was on it a little over a year and a half. I gained nearly 30 lbs during that time so Dr put me back on the Levothyroxine. After being on it a few months and not loosing any weight I was simply frustrated. My mom happens to have thyroid issues to and suggested taking the name brand. I wasn't sure so I called my pharmacist... she agreed. Ive been on name brand synthroid now for 12 weeks and I am down 17 lbs!!! Try the synthroid - name brand! I hope it works for you!!! :)
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    My Hypothyroid was the first of the symptoms of my downward spiral 12 years ago. Then I developed rashes, Raynauds phenomena, Muscle fatigue, brain fog, extreme exhaustion, joint pains, sun sensitivity, even more exhaustion, extreme weight loss and gain!
    My doctor dug even deeper and discovered that I have Lupus as well as Hypothyroidism, So not only do I have Thyroid issues, I am also permanently on steroids and immuno supressants as well as a miryad of other drugs.
    What I am trying to say is that not all of your symptoms are always related to one single illness. So if you develop other symptoms as well, get your GP to look further as there may be an underlying cause they are missing.
    As you can see, I have managed to lose 17lb. With the help of everyone on here and also a lot of help from my GP and consultants.
    So anything you can do to improve your general wellbeing is magnified when you have these debilitating illnesses and so small changes make huge differences even if you don't think they will.
    So keep it up, all the effort and ranting and trying and frustration will be worth it.
    Oh and the biggest tip I have is to eat a small hand full of nuts or seeds in between meals. They can reduce the energy dips by half. I dare you to give it a try! :laugh:
    Good luck folks.
  • heygina
    heygina Posts: 78
    Options
    The answer to your question is "that depends"... I know there are some people that do well on Synthroid, however I took it for 15 years and had all the symptoms all those years.

Synthroid is synthetic T4. But your thyroid and metabolism is much more than that. To help you understand why just supplementing T4 doesn't work, you could read about it here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t4-only-meds-dont-work/

If you get through that, you may want to read some of the other topics that explain how your thyroid and metabolism work. Then you can figure out if it's worth it to you to be your own advocate and insist that the doctor treat your symptoms and not your TSH labs.

At the same time we are fighting for proper medical diagnosis and treatment we should also be holding ourselves accountable for what we eat. I have friends that can eat junk food, fast food, etc. and not gain weight.... but that ain't me. So, I can't blame my thyroid if I eat like crap and gain weight or can't lose weight!! So, do what ever you can to be a healthier you even if your thyroid isn't perfect!! :flowerforyou:

Terri

Thanks so much Terri and Sollyn for all the info!

The new OB/Gyn I'm seeing for infertility prescribed the synthroid, but I'm going to call my PCP and get in with her- I feel like I need to talk to the primary care doc about all the symptoms and make sure to get ALL the correct blood work panels (the woman is a vampire, she's never NOT let me out of the office without taking some blood) so that I can get on either the Armour or correct dose of synthroid. 2 weeks on the drug and I feel no different at all- but I go for an endometrial biopsy on 4/16. I think the synthroid is helping balance out my periods because they were getting weird lately and that's how the OB/Gyn found the thyroid problem. This was the first month I had a positive LH test in 6 months.

It would be so nice to get my energy back!
  • toni14301
    toni14301 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I have been on the roller coaster since I was 9 years old. Fun!!! Well - I was taken off of the levothyroxine as it is a generic from many makers. I was put on another generic made by one manufacturer - Levoxyl and I feel an improvement. My levels jumped all over the place on the first pill because each manufacturer created it differently. I would try another med for your symptoms. I hear a lot of people taking about Armour I think it is called with high satisfaction ratings.