Introduce yourself

Options
Florawanda
Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
Hi, I'm Faith, over 70, and like many of you, have been down this road successfully (except it didn't stay off) twice, and unsuccessfully a number of times. My wake-up call was falling and breaking my leg... getting around on crutches was really difficult with the 226 lbs I reckon I was! All the things I love (crisps - chips, biscuits - cookies and chocolate) just didn't mean much to me any more. Even though I was pretty confined to a chair, I lost 12 lbs in 10 weeks. I joined MFP just before New Year, and am down another 15 lbs, thanks to logging carefully, and increasing the exercise.
I live on the South coast of the UK, and have 4 long-since grown up children, and now 5 grandchildren. So I want the years I have left to be an active Granny, not a couch-potato Granny!

Replies

• Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi Faith

Great idea x I'm 27lbs down on a 82lb loss needed. I'm getting with MFP and the great people who join. Thanks to their help, advise and support I will get to my goal weight. Feel free to add me I'm in Derbyshire UK
  • PLV27
    PLV27 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello Faith and Emmabulliemum,

I'm 27, looking to lose 65lbs currently in addition to the 10 I lost before joining the site. My motivation has been a desire to avoid becoming diabetic (my mother is diabetic and the doctor said i'm next if I dont drop some weight) and just wanting to live a healthier lifestyle. I'm in Ontario Canada :happy:

Cheers!
  • DoingthisforChris
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Im 34yrs old and live in NYC. My motivation is love the preson starring at me in the mirror. I have tried to lose wieght many times before but this time feels different. I am determined to go to the gym, I am determined to watch my calorie intake, I am dtermined to not have Pepsi, I am dtermined to learn how to run (funny story there) all around I determined to find the me that I lost in here somewhere... Good Luck to us all!!!!
  • JustCallMeJaz
    JustCallMeJaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!! My name is Jasmine I live in Maryland. I've been up and down with my weight so dramatically since I got married 5yrs ago and I want it to stop. I am 5'6 and was fit and toned at 170lbs when I got married, and have gone all the way up to 245 (at my worst). The last two years I've been losing, then gaining, then losing, then gaining and I have every size from a womans 10 to a womans 20 in my closet. While my doctor would like me to be between 130-150, I would like to get back to around 170-175.

I dont have any children, but in October experienced a miscarriage of twins. My doctor thinks my weight could have been a contributor in not being able to carry to term. So I need to do something... for myself, my husband, and my future family. When I started losing weight this time I was 235, and I have set a 60lb in 6month challenge for myself.

So far with the help of friends and MY FITNESS PAL i've dropped 15lbs (6weeks). Im excited and super motivated.
  • Florawanda
    Options
    Welcome to you all, Jasmine, Doingthis, PLV, and Emma,
    Great to have you in the group - we're in for the long haul, and like you I would be happy to get down to 160 lbs or so (total loss of 66lbs) but to be in the healthy BMI I need to lose another 20 lbs over that!

If you have any ideas for this group, do say, eg we can add pictures or more blurb to tell more people about the group - I'm a bit technologically challenged so if anyone wants to become an editor, let me know.
    We could do a Summer challenge - maybe starting on May 5th, a 10 week challenge would take us to July 16th, which is just about the start of the school holidays here in UK. However we would need someone who could set up a Google spreadsheet which could calculate pounds lost and % of SW lost... I'm not up to that one either...

Jasmine, my real sympathy for your mis last October, which must have been so sad for you ... our new grandchild is a much-wanted little girl, after our d-i-l had a number of misses and then a stillbirth in Feb 11, so really good luck with the future - I'm sure losing weight will help - my first real weight loss was when we were living in Connecticut and we were trying for our 4th child - I was then about 185 lbs and we returned to the UK about 8 months later, 6 months pregnant and weighing 146 lbs!! My mum didn't recognise me when we came through the arrivals gate!

Talk to you all later!
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Jen. I'm (almost) 36 and live in Minnesota. I have an 8 year old son (who is the coolest kid in town) and I'm getting married in October. I would love to look healthy and feel great for the big day - and to set a good example for my kiddo. I don't want him going down this path. Oh - and I want to be around as long as humanly possible to drive my Fiancee crazy for as long as I can. :love:

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • penelope05
    Options
    Hello all! My name is Melody and I currently live in Hawaii. My husband has been in the Marine Corps for almost 21 years now so we will be moving on to a new location soon. I am 38 years old and have two kids ages 11 and 13. My biggest motivation right now to lose weight is my children. I've started noticing how much my daughter is eating like me and starting to put on a few pounds she doesn't need. She is very active with sports so I think that keeps the weight gain at bay for now but if there is ever a time where she isn't as active I can see that she will start to look like me. I don't want that so I need to learn how to do better for myself to be a good example for her and be able to teach her how to live a healthy life. I've only be on myfitnesspal for 3 days but have lost 2 pounds towards my goal of 90 pounds. I had been doing weight watchers for many years with up and down success so I felt I needed to try something new. So far I find this program easier so I'm hoping that will be motivation to succeed this time around.

Good luck to everyone and feel free to add me as a friend if you want extra motivation :)
  • Florawanda
    Options
    Welcome Melody and Jen - good to have you in the group, hopefully we'll be cheering you on to your new location, Melody - it is always difficult moving to a new place, and Jen, we'll all be willing you to be lovely for your walk up the aisle in October!
    Do invite more members, and if anyone would like to be added as one of the moderators, you're welcome... I am going to be very busy over the next three weeks as I am up for re-election to the local council on May 3rd and have to be out and about knocking on doors and putting lots of paper through doors - all good exercise!
  • Jenn609
    Jenn609 Posts: 6
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies,

I'm Jenn, 32 years old and just joined MFP yesterday. I'm looking to lose at least 60lbs and learn to eat healthfully. I've been on several diets over the years and lose weight here and there and re-gain it. I seem to think I can do it on my own after a month or a few months and end up re-gaining what I've lost (sometimes a few additional pounds as well). I'm sure we'll be able to motivate and push each other along this journey and succeed in everything we want to accomplish!!
  • Florawanda
    Options
    Hi, Jenn, and welcome... we really will be able to motivate each other, and learn some good tips! Many of us have picked up good ideas from previous weight loss experiences - eg the programme I did in US back in the 70s and lost 3 stone (42 lbs) over 8 months, during which I conceived our 4th child, so when we left US I was lighter and 6 months pregnant. From that programme I remember the 'water helper' - which they recommended you have a glass just before a meal - and also a 'chewy helper' which made your jaws feel as though they had done some work - so raw veggies particularly recommended with every meal.
  • gracie2586
    gracie2586 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone my name is Gen (yes another one lol) I'm 26 and live in Indiana. About two years ago i went from 247 to 175 by exercising and eating healthy but after a bad break up with my boyfriend i slowly gained every single pound back. So now its time to do it all again. I'll keep my fingers crossed for us all
  • Anu_mee13
    Anu_mee13 Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Terra. 31, single, no kids. Living in the lovely state of Georgia (sarcasm). Heaviest, I weighed was 270 in Jan this year. I just knew I had to do something permanently. Since joining the site, I'm down 19lbs. Goal weight is somewhere between 160/170 or a size 6/8.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

My name is Karina, I am 20 years old. I am a mother of a 17 month old boy named Pablo. I am also married to his father he also is 20 years old. We met in our senior year in high school. I reside in Michigan, USA.

I have lost 13 pounds since starting my new journey in March, 2012. I would like to lose a grand total of 80 pounds. Out of those 80 pounds, I have 67 pounds to go. I also have hypothyroidism, which causes weight gain. I've been overweight since 13 years old. Im tired of this lifestyle I want to enjoy my life fully, and being obese is preventing my happiness. So here I am. Please feel free to add me.
  • PaleSpectrum
    Options
    Im Lulu! I'll be 27 May 13th (oh geez)... Im a mother, vegetarian, dork, drug/alcohol free, artist, and corgi lover. I have had hypothyroidism for 8 years and I have my youngest about two years ago now. Currently I weigh 225lbs, and I started this journey in Feb at 250lbs. I kicked off my weight loss journey with a 16 day juice fast (http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/), you can watch the documentary that changed my life on Netflix :) I have been working out since I ended my fast around Feb 22- almost 6 days a week and even twice a day sometimes!! My weight is stubborn because of my thyroid, but its slowly coming off :D Slow and steady wins the race right? I would like to be 160/165-ish or just healthy, thats my goal. I want to live long and be as healthy as possible. I have put my body through some horrible things. When I was 15 years old I ran away from home and have been living on my own ever since. I struggled with drug addiction until I was 18 years old. In the midst of all this I conracted Hepatitis C- but thanks to a very innovated medical treatment, I was cured of it in 2005 and the virus is no longer present in my system. (you can read about the treatment here: http://www.pegasys.com/patient/index.html).

When I had my son two years ago my world changed, its made me a different person. I want to be around to experience life with him- I feel like I missed out on a lot already and I want to make the best of everything. Life is fleeting and I want to be in tip top shape, so I can keep up :3

This summer will be 9 years I have been drug free, 3 years free of cigarettes and alcohol.

(sorry if my story is a bit much, but its me!)
  • Back2Basic
    Back2Basic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm Sarah! I'll be 23 in a few days and am determined to live a healthier life style, and lose 74 lbs! I'm a few days into this attempt, and I hope with support and encouragement, I will make it to my goal this time.
  • Florawanda
    Options
    Hi, Sarah, Lulu, Karina, Terra and Gen,
    Sorry I haven't been about for a while... busy fighting the election down here in Hampshire UK, but lost my seat on the Council on Thursday night... still smarting from the rejection... see my blog posted about 30 mins ago!
    Anyway it's back to work on my fitness now... managed to keep my weight going slowly down, but have two things now that will have me working really hard over the next 2 or 3 weeks - our second son's 40th and our third son's first child's christening on 26th and I would love to lose another 6 lbs by then, so it really will be hard at it! I'll have to get out the dresses I plan to wear, and see if they fit - hang them up for inspiration.
    We all have such a long journey to go... I reckon it will be easily February next year before I am approaching the 'healthy weight' category ... it really is important to set and celebrate reaching these interim goals ... and be realistic about what can be achieved! I have planned for an average of 12 - 13 lbs every 10 weeks, but I know it may get more difficult as we go along!
    Anyway, good luck to you all, will be around in this group a bit more now!!
    Faith
  • Leahh999
    Leahh999 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am somewhat new to MFP and loving it so far. My name is Leah, I live in Pennsylvania, mom of a 13 yo boy, fiancé to a 38 yo boy and am currently at the heaviest I have ever been in my life. Please feel free to add me as a friend, I'm looking to connect with positive, motivational people that I can support and be supported by :)
  • Florawanda
    Options
    Hi, Leah, good to meet you... I will send you a friend request...
    I found the groups and the message threads very useful when I first started, especially the groups that are age or weight specific, or also area specific - you may find a Pennsylvania group - we have one for my local city, Portsmouth, in the UK.
    That is the great thing about MFP is the support you get online from your friends, and also all the information that is out there!
    Cheers, and will look forward to getting to know you better over the months ahead!
    Faith (Flora and wanda are my first two names I only use online!)
  • KweenKJS
    KweenKJS Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Kassandra and I am very new to weight loss. I have been slowly building up to a point that I can no longer ignore. I am now on the verge of 200 lbs, and I'm finding that changing my eating habits is much easier said than done. Also trying to get back to my more active ways. I used to spend so much of my time at a gym or working out in general because of the sports that I participated in that now I am having trouble getting back into any kind of routine... I never realized, while I was putting the weight on, how hard it would be to take it off again. I'm hoping MFP and some supportive friends will help make the journey a little easier.
  • Florawanda
    Options
    Hi, Kassandra,
    Sorry not to welcome you.. this group is not very active, I'm afraid. And I haven't looked at it in a while. I will send you a friend request, as there are a number of my friends I have met in the groups who are in the same boat. It is all about encouragement, and friends are really good on this journey. But so agree that changing the bad habits we have built up over many years is the key, and that is going to take time. One way I find is not to cut out completely, as then when you lose a bit, the old habits come back. I am just trying to cut down, by having smaller portions, and also by having non-chocolate days, so controlling my sugar intake (my downfall),
    Good luck on your journey, and hope to see you soon as a friend,
    Faith