Just Starting the prep for GBPS

Options
Hello~I'm just at the beginning of preperation for surgery August 27, 2012. I'm had my first weigh in yesterday and it has only been 2weeks since I started and I lost 1pound but this is very disappointing to me because I have really been watching and tracking what I have been eating. I was told not to be discouraged by the dietitian but you think hmm i'm really watching what i'm eating and I haven't lost the weight I thought I would. Next weigh in is in a month so I will give myself time to think positive! :smile:

Replies

• shelby0963
    Options
    im gona have the surgery to ive been on a diet for three and a half weeks ive lost 12 pounds maybe this will help you im on the diet called lean and green its chicken turkey fish fresh steamed veg fresh fruit toss salad lite dressing egg beaters no soda maybe this will help feel free to add me.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi! Don't be discouraged. I had surgery on March 13, 2012. I had to prep also and it takes time for the weight to come off. I went on a 1200 calorie diet, but the key thing is to make sure that you get enough protein and water in at the same time. They should have told you that you need to get at least 64 Fl oz of water a day. The protein is key to losing the weight.. Besides eating protein, there are also protein shakes that work really well for this.
    It helps to start cutting back on breads, pasta, and other really starchy foods.
    I'm not sure which surgery your having, but I had the R-N-Y open procedure. With this after surgery proteins and fluids are number one. I am now starting to add in other foods, but I do have to say that I don't crave the sweets or fatty foods anymore.
    The water will help to flush out all the fats and toxins in your body.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I just finished the supervised diet part of pre-surgery and now have my surgery date, I'm still doing everything on the diet because as they have preached it's a lifestyle change, but I actually lost more weight on my own before they were watching then I did over the 3 months of supervision and like you I was disappointed. I gave it a lot of thought and I think my problem was that I really wanted solid results with the help of the nutritionist and fitness trainer, I wanted to believe I was just doing something wrong all those years of dieting on my own. I may have been looking for an excuse to avoid the extreme of surgery. So for me the 3 months of supervised diet (11 pounds of my 25 lost) was as much learning to accept that I was making the right decision and that I wasn't looking for the easy out; to accept that I needed a little something extra to get my body to do what it's supposed to do when you diet and exercise.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    DO NOT be discouraged, for one you made the choice to take back you health, I applaud you. My surgery was March 14th, 2012...I am on solid foods now and pretty much eat alot of protein, the range is 55-80 grams a day for me.
    I had to do 2 weeks of clears prior to my surgery, and I was hungry off and on, it was not that I was hungry daily, it came and went. It was hard, I wont lie, it sucks big time, but think about what you will feel like when the weight starts to come off. Have faith in yourself. You can do it, I did it, we all did it....
    If your watching and tracking that is great, are you exercising too?? walking even or just using those bands in your home. Start getting used to exercise, give up any sodas or sweet drinks, I gave up diet pepsi and now I am getting my teeth whitened, woohoo..there is always always always a light at the end of the tunnel, liguid diet-surgery, give up pop-whiter teeth...

So keep tracking watching ect...hold your head high and be proud....you can do this!
  • nmeh1020
    nmeh1020 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I don't drink any pop or sweet drinks. I have a coffee in the morning with sugar free creamer and unsweet ice tea the rest of the day, so that's one item I don't have to worry about. About a year ago I did weight watchers and had lost 30 pounds in 3 months and I did so awesome. I can do this again and it's difficult to eat "healthy" snacks throughout the day with more protein, vegetables, and fruit! You always think 3 meals a day and no snacking in between but now you are to snack (healthy) and I need to work on that more. Haven't done the excerise yet but in my to do is to walk my doggies at least once a week (they have a big fenced in yard to run in). Hearing from all of you and what you are doing and going through will help me. I'm so glad I found these message boards! Have a great day and let's keep up the good work!
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the coffee and tea. They contain caffeine and this will dehydrate you. I know that where I go they do not encourage regular coffee or tea only decaffeinated. Try drink regular water or there are a lot of flavored waters out now that are not carbonated and are zero calories.
    Try breaking your meals down into 6 smaller ones a day. This way you won't feel like you have to try and cram everything in by the end of the day.
    Any type of movement counts as burning calories. Everything from washing the dishes to resting. There is a great site that can
    break down the calories for you called Calories Per Hour. com
  • gaylelynnmc
    Options
    Hi...I have just started the program for the gastric bypass surgery...I am like you the weight is slowing coming off at this point but I know that it will take time and patience for it to come off. This program to me is like being offered a second chance at life...to learn to eat healthy and become more physical. If anyone would like to add me please feel free...I would really like support durning this time...thank you.
  • nmeh1020
    nmeh1020 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm trying to cut caffeine but tried to fast and got major headaches. So I need to do this slowly between my ice tea and coffee. I meet on Monday with the exercise man and Wednesday is all the upper GI tests. I need to make a trip to the grocery store and get some veggies, protein, and dairy products. I ordered the calcium citrate chewables on line and looking forward to trying them as a lot of people gave them thumbs up. (flavors raspberry, chocolate, caramel) oh my!