Introvert or extrovert

Options

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Extroverted arrogant showboat attention *kitten* - with a raging Napoleon complex and a side order of unjustified egomania.

The first step to solving a problem is admitting that you have one.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I feel a lot more extroverted if I am in a group setting with my husband. If I am alone, or with other women, I'm much more introverted, and uncomfortable.

I have no problem speaking in public, or in front of a classroom (obv) but the social anxiety of interacting with other women makes me avoid them. Women baffle me all the time. I am often at a loss when I fail to grasp the subtleties of game-playing girlish behavior. My sister has a massive advantage, she was the president of her sorority, so she is way better than I am at interacting with other women.

Im like this as well. I just dont get most women,and do not relate to them very well.When I am with a group of women I spen a lot of time just nodding and smiling. But if Im with my husband or a group of men im very outgoing.
    If you throw booze in the mix all bets are off no matter what group of people im around
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Extroverted arrogant showboat attention *kitten* - with a raging Napoleon complex and a side order of unjustified egomania.

I wanna go drinking with Casper.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I am an introvert to the extreme, almost to an unhealthy extreme.....
  • CasperO
    Options

I wanna go drinking with Casper.
    You couldn't keep up. (See what I mean?)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am an introvert to the extreme, almost to an unhealthy extreme.....

Its ok Fae...Hang out with more Extroverts... its true you become the average of the 10 people you hang out with the most
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if this is true, I'm dooooomed
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Intovert here!

Here is a list of top 10 myths about intorverts I read awhile back. Love it. If you google it there are a bunch of sites, so don't know who to credit right now. Here is where I just copied it from. http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
    This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
    Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
    Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
    On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
    Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
    Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
    Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
    Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
    Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
    A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.
  • CasperO
    Options
    A woman whom I respect very much, and who is the poster girl for your "Myths", said something brilliant on this subject a while back.

"Extroverts receive energy by being around other people, but Introverts are drained". (As she was having a cubicle wall erected).
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    that list is awesome.

Apparently I am an introvert, to a T!

Thanks for sharing it!
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    A woman whom I respect very much, and who is the poster girl for your "Myths", said something brilliant on this subject a while back.

"Extroverts receive energy by being around other people, but Introverts are drained". (As she was having a cubicle wall erected).

Lol, a woman after my own heart. So true so true
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Research Psychologist here... want to know for sure if you're an introvert or extrovert? It's not really something easy to nail down. Luckily, we have this amazing research tool that's been in use for a long time, and you can take it online for free. It's not one of those silly "what's your personality" type quizzes. It's a scientifically developed, empirically tested tool called the IPIP NEO PI-R (catchy name huh?). It will examine your responses on either 300 (long form) or 120 (short form) questions and tell you where you stand on the five main dimensions of personality (OCEAN- openness to experience, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism [emotional stability]). It's a truly interesting way to examine yourself. It also breaks down each dimension into sub-dimensions. Like, I'm average on conscientiousness, but when it breaks my score into subdomains you find I'm very high on academic/moral conscientiousness and very low on orderliness (my office is a tornado of paperwork). You can take it here: http://www.personal.psu.edu/j5j/IPIP/ and that might inform your statement of where you stand on introversion/extroversion.

For what it's worth, I'm average on extroversion. Right smack dab in the middle.

Another interesting question would be "where do you stand on agreeableness?"

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say we're probably all low on this trait, since we're in a debate forum group! I personally know I'm low in this domain, and it's not a bad thing at all :) I have the profile of a scientist- very high on openness, low on agreeableness, and high in the academic subdomain of conscientiousness.

Anyway, it's fun and interesting. If you have 15-40 spare minutes (depending on which version you choose, the short form is actually pretty solid), you might learn something fun about yourself :D
  • katatak1
    Options
    Another quick note: don't assume you know if you are an introvert or extrovert... I always thought I was an introvert. Turns out I'm, by clinical definitions, smack dab in the middle.

Also, don't rely on the myers-briggs. It's an awful, awful tool which is only around because it has good PR. It has shown low levels of external validity, low levels of reliability, and classifies people into types instead of magnitude of traits. Think about all the people you know... and ask yourself: can all these very different people honestly be classified into 16 groups? I think you'll find the answer is no. Stick with the Big 5 (OCEAN) which has so much science to back it up!
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My husband and I actually had to take all the ones you mentioned plus Myers-Briggs before he would be consdered to enter aspirancy for the diaconate (in laymans terms, before he could start the process of being an ordained deacon in the Catholic Church). That was just part of the psychological background check we both had to go through (because the wives have to agree about their husbands being ordained they must make sure that we are also psychological fit to make that decision). I can't remember all the other stuff, but yes, I am an introvert on all three. We didn't get to keep the graphying printout with our results which is why I can't remember all of the rest of the details (yes, I know, I just zoomed in on the introvert part and didn't take long-term mental note of the rest).
  • katatak1
    Options
    Regmama,

There's that good PR for ya! The Myers-Briggs is almost exclusively used by employers as researchers have largely dismissed it's validity (it shows only one type of validity- face validity, which is to say, it looks valid, even though it really isn't). I have to ask though, I only mentioned two scales (The IPIP NEO and the Myers-Briggs). I'm just curious, which other scale did they require? Was it the MMPI? If so, that's a little disconcerting as it's primary use is for the clinical, not general population. Anyway, interesting!

If you have the free time, you should consider retaking the NEO. I try to take it every couple of years because I find the results fascinating. Plus, you can print it out :)
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Regmama,

There's that good PR for ya! The Myers-Briggs is almost exclusively used by employers as researchers have largely dismissed it's validity (it shows only one type of validity- face validity, which is to say, it looks valid, even though it really isn't). I have to ask though, I only mentioned two scales (The IPIP NEO and the Myers-Briggs). I'm just curious, which other scale did they require? Was it the MMPI? If so, that's a little disconcerting as it's primary use is for the clinical, not general population. Anyway, interesting!

If you have the free time, you should consider retaking the NEO. I try to take it every couple of years because I find the results fascinating. Plus, you can print it out :)
    You know, I don't remember all the tests (my husband and I were at the psychologists office for hours taking the tests). And because it is to determine if one is of sound mind and has no inclinations toward troubling spots to start the process of ordination in the Catholic Church it doesn't surprise me that they used test that are not used for the general population. The Church has instituted a LOT of psychological checking and rechecking because of the sex abuse of some of the ordained. It is set up to try to make sure that abuse doesn't happen again. And to make it as non-biased as possible, the faith of the psychologist HAS to be something other than Catholic or Eastern Orthodox. The psychologist that worked with us is Unitarian.
  • katatak1
    Options
    The Church has instituted a LOT of psychological checking and rechecking because of the sex abuse of some of the ordained. It is set up to try to make sure that abuse doesn't happen again. And to make it as non-biased as possible, the faith of the psychologist HAS to be something other than Catholic or Eastern Orthodox. The psychologist that worked with us is Unitarian.

You know, I'm totally cool with that. The church should certainly screen people in positions of authority for mental illness.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Research Psychologist here... want to know for sure if you're an introvert or extrovert? It's not really something easy to nail down. Luckily, we have this amazing research tool that's been in use for a long time, and you can take it online for free. It's not one of those silly "what's your personality" type quizzes. It's a scientifically developed, empirically tested tool called the IPIP NEO PI-R (catchy name huh?). It will examine your responses on either 300 (long form) or 120 (short form) questions and tell you where you stand on the five main dimensions of personality (OCEAN- openness to experience, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism [emotional stability]). It's a truly interesting way to examine yourself. It also breaks down each dimension into sub-dimensions. Like, I'm average on conscientiousness, but when it breaks my score into subdomains you find I'm very high on academic/moral conscientiousness and very low on orderliness (my office is a tornado of paperwork). You can take it here: http://www.personal.psu.edu/j5j/IPIP/ and that might inform your statement of where you stand on introversion/extroversion.

For what it's worth, I'm average on extroversion. Right smack dab in the middle.

Another interesting question would be "where do you stand on agreeableness?"

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say we're probably all low on this trait, since we're in a debate forum group! I personally know I'm low in this domain, and it's not a bad thing at all :) I have the profile of a scientist- very high on openness, low on agreeableness, and high in the academic subdomain of conscientiousness.

Anyway, it's fun and interesting. If you have 15-40 spare minutes (depending on which version you choose, the short form is actually pretty solid), you might learn something fun about yourself :D

Cool--I always like taking these things.

Even though they always tell me I'm weird.
  • katatak1
    Options
    Cool--I always like taking these things.

Even though they always tell me I'm weird.

That's the beauty of the NEO :) It doesn't assess abnormal personality, it's just where you stand on the five main dimensions of personality. It's a kick *kitten* measure
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm an introvert. I have a small group of friends that are very tight, and I am usually pretty quiet in public unless I know someone very well or have something to say that I'm sure will add to the discussion.

I'm more an extrovert on the interwebz though, which is kinda funny.