Olympic- Wetsuit?

Options
calderst
calderst Posts: 222 Member
Hi! I posted this on the main forum but thought I should post it here too...
I am doing my first Olympic distance tri in June. The swim is in a river and from what I understand the water temp should be low-mid 70s. Do I need a wetsuit?

Thanks!

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If the race is wetsuit legal, you should wear a wetsuit. It makes the swim much easier, especially if you have balance issues because it increases your buoyancy.
  • cafeldmann
    cafeldmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You should be okay in low-mid 70's water without a wetsuit. I'm sure the water will feel chilly, but it would be fine.

I assume you are asking because you do not currently own a wetsuit, and are wondering if you need to get one for this race? Because if you have one, I would definitely wear it (as Scott has already said). You will be faster wearing a wetsuit. If you are planning to continue to do triathlons, and your finances allow it, then I would buy a wetsuit to wear for this race (and all future races). But if you can't afford one, or you are thinking that this race is a one-time deal, then you can certainly manage without one at those water temperatures.
  • smbkrn
    smbkrn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you have a tri specific shops in your area you may want to give them a call as they probably rent wetsuits. You can also find wetsuits for rent online for around $65 which will include 1 week rental and all shipping.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't currently own one and am having trouble finding any info about this race-- I even stopped at the bike shop near where it is held and they didn't know anything about it (it's not in my hometown).

Out of curiosity, I stopped by D!ck's Sporting Goods to see if they had any... the ones they have look like they are for geared more towards kayaking. They are short-sleeves/shorts and they zip in the back. I'm guessing with the back zipper it wouldn't work well for transitions. Which brings me to my next question...

What do I need to look for in one? I eventually want to get into the longer distances, so whethe ror not I buy one for this one I will need one eventually.

Also, what kind of price range am I looking at?

Thanks!
    -Staci
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Absolutely make sure it's a triathlon wetsuit. Absolutely.

Past that, you want it to be tight, but you can still breathe. Usually, zippers are in the back, although I've been told there are some in the front. Have yet to see that animal out in the wild...

It is well worth the extra few bucks to buy a can of trislide. Spray this around your neck, arms, legs. It helps you get in/out of the wetsuit easier, and cuts down on neck chaffing. Of all the rotten places to chaff...

Full wetsuit has full length arms/legs. They're the fastest, most expensive, and some say the most uncomfortable (not sure about that). Sleeveless is what it sounds like. Your arm mobility is improved for sure. But you have more drag in the water. It's also not quite so hot as the full.

The tradition is to get yourself almost all the way into your wetsuit, then ask a perfect stranger to finish zipping you up right before the start of the race. Preferably some cute little somebody you've been eyeing while the earlier waves went off. After said person has zipped you, you offer the same service. Once zipped, there's a little place by the back of the neck for the zipper string to be fastened. That way when you exit the water you can pull down the zipper and boom you're halfway out of your suit before you're even in transition. The rest is contortion.

I hope this helps. Good luck! And by all means, triathlon wetsuit!
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No, you should not need a wetsuit or should you go out and buy one just for this race. If you plan to do several races where you will be in cold water then it's a good investment. You will be faster and more bouyant. Then you need to determine if you will need sleeves or sleeveless. I use sleeveless because most of my races are in warmer areas and I may only use the suit twice a year. Most of my races are not wet suit legal. ****'s Sporting Goods does not sell TRI specific weight suits or do any other major sporting good stores. Make sure if you buy, you buy a TRI specific wetsuit, they are designed to for swimming, scuba and surfing wetsuits are not.

The best thing to do is even if you have to travel some is find a TRI specific retailer and go to the store and let them fit you. They will know what fits you the best just like you should do when buying running shoes and bicycles. Visit and buy from those that specialize in that discipline. You may pay more but you will be better off for it.

Train smart and have a great race. I would say good luck but it's not luck, you get out of it what you put into it.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Last year I just rolled the dice on an Xterra sleeveless via their sizing chart. Worked out. Can't beat them for the price
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I also purchased an Xterra full-sleeve wetsuit and love it. There price is great and they are easy to deal with if the wetsuit does not fit upon arrival.

I highly recommend checking out their website.
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Rental:

http://www.wetsuitrental.com/rent-a-triathlon-wetsuit.html

Swim at least once in it so you can see what it feels like. Also practice taking it off. I have seen people successfuly use Pam non stick cooking spray if they need to on their body to help get it on easier where it is tight.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I only wear a wetsuit if it is below 70, I swim faster without one and my transition times are faster without one. If you are a strong swimmer, you don't need to worry about buoyancy. I find wet suits are more constricting than helpful. If you must rent one, go sleeveless unless you aren't a strong swimmer.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    P.S. Check your rules for your race, but if they let you, take your suit off while you are still in the water, it comes off lighting fast that way. Also, take a pair of plastic grocery bags with you and put them on your feet when you first put on your suit, the suit slips on super easy that way. Obviously, you don't go around wearing these bags on your feet, just use them for putting on your suit initially. Also, use Pam cooking spray on your arms and lower legs so the suit comes off easier.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to be a very strong swimmer and I prefer to wear my full sleeve wetsuit. Only when the temperature is too warm will I not wear one. The suit reduces my drag and I pick up time when wearing one. My 100m splits drop by almost 4 seconds when in my wetsuit.