help 230lbs wannabe jogger

Options
beckers80
beckers80 Posts: 134 Member
Help! I am 230lbs 5'2 so I am overweight by lots! my goals in life are to be able to job a 5K, but for now I will settle with running 1 mile. I have started the C25K, a few times but finding it hard where I can keep up. I feel like i can walk faster than I am jogging, like when I am jogging my whole body is in slow motion.

Has anyone started this program at this weight? Do you think I should hold off on trying this until I have lost 30 lbs or so?

HELP!!!

Replies

• aliciakoral
    Options
    I tooo was like 220 when i started c25k and the first couple times i did week 1 day 1 i got maybe 2 runs in before i just stoppped. i have done week 1 day 1 probably 10 times already... BUT i am finally able to make it all the way through the first day so this next week i will be moving on to week 1 day 2 and so on... You get better! If you need some motivation watch the biggest loser. I just think those guys are more heavier and run all day long. so we can too!

and since i have been walking more, it has actually helped me with the running sections! you just have to get up and move. Since I started moving I have went back up to 22 and now 2 weeks later im at 212. :)

also.... dont worry about your speed. i have heard this time and time again and it has been really helpful, IF YOU CANNOT CARRY ON A CONVERSATION WHILE RUNNING/JOGGING, YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST! moving your body in a jogging motion is hard enough to be worrying about how fast your going. i figure once i can actually get through the whole program at MY PACE and jog NONSTOP then at that point i will work on going faster.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I started C25k at probably around 265-255...I'm now 235ish and ran for 30 mins and 2 miles the other day. I've also done 2 races..one 5k and one 4 mile race, both of which I ran and walked portions of. It's most definitely possible. and yeah, I feel the same way sometimes, that I'm running slower than I'm walking, but the improtant thing is to build up the endurace and deal with speed later.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. My jog is slower than my walk. At first, I couldn't jog, but I worked my way up to jogging 60 seconds. Make the workout for you. If you have to stretch it a workout, do that. I focus on my posture and my breathing. This takes my mind off of my speed and the distance I'm going. I have an app on my phone that let's me know if I'm halfway through. I'll clap or give myself a quick pat on the back. Keep at it. It'll come. Congratulate yourself for getting out there!
  • teschy123
    teschy123 Posts: 89
    Options
    hey I am 214 and I just started the couch 2 5k last week!!! and it was hard at first and I really do run slow, but the whole point for me is to actually be able to run 3.1 miles without stopping!!! I have come to realize that running is mainly a mental game!!! I actually did straight cardio for 10 weeks before starting couch 2 5k!! So I built up some stamina!! I literally did Day 1 week 2 tonight and I had to run for a 1:30 seconds and I had to tell myself I can do this, I am not weak!! Good luck and don't put a lot of pressure on yourself to go fast. Its all about the form and being able to say I ran a 5k. Congratulate yourself on staying the course!!!
  • kmfolkins
    kmfolkins Posts: 64
    Options
    I am 222 lbs, and just did week 6 day 1 last night. I think anyone can do it. One thing that I read that sticks with me is "If you think you are going slow, go slower" That has kept me going. I will pick up speed when I loose weight.:happy:
  • beckers80
    beckers80 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help! Im waiting for daybreak and I will head out to get it over for today! :) Feel free to add me.
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Not much to add except to say that I was a little over 300 when I started and my job was (and still is!) very slow. Takes me about 40 minutes to run 5K, but speed is improving every time I run. And I lost about 20 pounds through the course of the C25K program.
  • MontagneGitane
    MontagneGitane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was only 10 lbs less than you and extremely out of shape when I started the program. I could barely get through the 60 second runs during the first week. But here I am on week 3 now running for 3 minutes straight without feeling like I'm going to die. LOL
    I'll just echo everyone else here. Get good shoes, take it slow and listen to your body. I repeat each week twice before moving on because that's what feels right for me. I also run very slow, but I'm not concerned about my pace at this time. It's not a race or a competition.

Oh, and NEVER forget pre and post run stretching. It's essential!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K at 330lbs.
    I just ran my first half marathon at 290lbs.
    The key to the C25K is not trying to skip weeks. Give your body that time to build up your bones, ligaments, tendons and muscles.
    If you can't complete a week, do it over. Don't try to jump ahead. Overdoing it is the worse thing you can do.
  • cheesenbrats
    Options
    I am currently 350ish pounds and just completed week 1 of the C25K. I think walking for the first few months helped me build some endurance to get to the point that I could complete the jogs. I have actually lost almost 30 pounds from walking and now integrating C25K into my exercise routine. If I can do it at 350 pounds, anyone can do it. You just have to go at your pace and be willing to do runs/weeks over if your not ready to move forward.

I personally think the trick is to be honest with yourself and not push too hard too fast. If it takes me 4 months to complete the program, I will be fine with it. Just the satisfaction of actually running a 5K will be an amazing accomplishment for me. I have never even run a full mile in my life. That all changes now.
  • MamaJess
    MamaJess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    There are so many different C to 5K programs out there find one that is stretched over 13 weeks rather than a 7 or 9 week program. That is what I am doing. Mine is a 12 week program and the first week has the same thing for each day and its like that for the first 4 weeks.
    week 1- walk for 5 minutes, run/jog for 60 seconds, walk for 2 minutes at a mod to fast pace and it keeps repeating like that for a total of 25 minutes with a 5 minute cool down at the end
    week 2- walk 5 min, run/jog 90sec, walk mod to fast pace 90 sec and repeat for 25 minutes with a 5 minute cool down walk at the end
    week 3- walk 5 min, run/jog 2 min, walk 60 sec, and so on w/ a 5 min cool down

EACH WEEK YOU REPEAT THE SAME RUN 3 TIMES AND IT JUST GRADUALLY KEEPS PROGRESSING. I AM 232, CUT BACK FROM 2 PACKS OF CIGARETTES A DAY TO 1 OR 2 CIGARETTES A DAY. (WHEN THE HEADACHES START) MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS MY BREATHING AND I KNOW THAT TOGETHER WE CAN ALL GET THROUGH THIS SUCCESSFULLY, AND I WILL EVENTUALLY GIVE UP THE SMOKES TOO. HOPING THIS RUNNING WILL HELP ME WITH SOME MOTIVATION ON THAT! lol

If you go to itunes, you can download a couple of different (free) C TO 5 K podcast that you can listen to while doing your running. the one I am using tells me when to walk when to run and it reminds me to keep breathing also. Good Luck!
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at the end of January weighing 256lbs. I completed the program & have been running 30-45 minutes 3 days a week. I completed my first 5K this year on Saturday with a time of 35.27. My current weight as of Saturday was 233.

My advise is to follow the program & take the necessary rest days. On my "rest" days, I either did 45-60 minutes of Cardio workouts or Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. For me, it's not so much physical but more mental. I have found running to be such a stress reliever.

I still have another 60 or more pounds to lose. Don't quit, you will get better and faster as you progress.