NROL4W and Cardio

Options
Hi,
I will be starting nrol4w in two weeks when I finish with Chalean Extreme. I wanted to know if those of you already doing nrol4w also do zumba class with it. I would hate to give up my zumba and hip hop classes during the week. I have heard that heavy cardio (I usally burn a bunch of calories) can interfere with the strength training.
Any advice is helpful. I want to make sure I get a great start in a couple of weeks.
Thanks and have a great weekend.

Replies

• dmcw19
    dmcw19 Posts: 129
    Options
    There has to be a zumba lover out there with some input.....
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    YES!!! I still do zumba and run along with the program. I do zumba once or twice a week and also run once or twice a week. I have still gotten great results :) I just do the cardio on days I don't lift!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I am into the 5th week of NROL, lifting 3 days a week, and I was doing 3 opposite days cardio and 1 day off. These past two weeks as I've increased weight (hit 95# squats/deadlifts and over 100# on the row), however, my *kitten* has been DRAGGING.

I'm a spin instructor (over 8 years) and I'm seriously dying teaching my classes.

That being said, I love NROL -- I can't even believe how much I love lifting heavy; I never thought I would!

I thought I would have no trouble doing cardio on off days, but I guess I have to tone the intensity down. I normally workout 6 days, but this week I was so exhausted I had to take 2 days off and skip paddleboarding -- my fave!

I've asked about this in this group and the general responses I've gotten were that I should make sure I'm eating enough (I am) and that I should tone down the intensity while spinning, make sure I'm getting enough sleep (ha, I'm falling into bed these days!). Also, some people said watch out for overtraining; maybe lift just 2 days since I can't cut back on the length of my spin classes.

Anyway, I'm keeping on at 3 days, hoping some of my exhaustion was due to some very stressful family issues, and hoping that I will work through it. I felt much better today having taken yesterday off.

Many people have said they do cardio even on the same day as lifting while others say if you can do cardio on the same day you're not lifting heavy enough.

I'd give it a shot until it stops working, zumba on opposite days of lifting, make sure you're truly eating up there at TDEE with high protein and see what happens. I didn't feel the tiredness kick in until the 4th week; your results may vary, but I bet you'll have a new addiction!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am half-way through stage 1, and have for the most part been doing 1-2 Zumba classes a week during that time. Unfortunately, just like sleepytexan, I find that the last few weeks, I am now getting fatigued much faster doing zumba, and I usually have to leave the class around the 30 minute mark to go do some light-moderate walking or biking on the machines, and then going back at the end of class for stretching.

I miss my Zumba classes (and the 700 cal burns I'd get from it according to my HRM) but I am loving how I feel lifting heavy weights, so it's a trade off. One major factor might be that my protein intake hasn't been great these past weeks too, so MAKE SURE YOU GET ENOUGH PROTEIN!! I've also been told to eat the same amount of protein on lifting days and rest days.

My advice would be to try keeping up with your classes, but if you are feeling really tired and burnt out, don't push through the cardio. Rest days are just as important as lifting days in terms of muscle repair and building strength, and doing high intensity cardio like Zumba could be interfering with that process.
  • sadiesimp
    sadiesimp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I teach Zumba (and other classes too) and there have been times where I've had to do my NROLW workout immediately before teaching (actually, I'm going to have to do that with my workouts this week due to a busy schedule). ANYWAY, when I have to teach and do the workout on the same day, I really have to tone down my zumba moves and make sure I am eating a lot on those days or by the end of the week, my body is just overly exhausted. When I know I'm teaching a lot of cardio classes one week, I will just skip any the body weight matrix and/or interval workouts. Hate to do this because I really like doing the intervals but I just get way too exhausted when I do it all.

Def. still do what you like doing but be really mindful of your body and look out for over-training symptoms (no sleep, wayyyy too tired/sore, moody, etc.)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    I'm not a zumba person - but I am a group-cardio class person....or I used to be, lol!!

I think that "overtraining" can be a very serious concern....which you won't see right off the bat, but it will sneak up and bite you. Basically, people who overtrain start suffering injuries, set-backs, etc., etc.

So, be very aware of the overtraining. That's all. So long as you are fitting it all in, and leading the life that you want, go give 'er hell, I say!!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can reassess at each stage?

I am almost done with stage 2 and I HAD to stop most of my extra workouts - my muscles were too tired, my body was too tired and I felt it wouldn't do any justice to do either half a$$ed.

I am still trying to do a 3 mile run one day a week, but stage 2 has me whipped otherwise! Keep us posted - I'm curious how it will work for you.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I used to run 3 days a week and do zumba at least twice a week before I started the program. i tried to run the day after my first workout and thought I was going to die! I have been a bit gun shy since then. I have done a 10K and a 5K since starting the program and my times were horrible. I think part of my problem though is that I am not sleeping enough. i work swing shift, then have to get my daughter up for school at 6am.