New to this

Options
debbylee22
debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
Hi,
I've been reading the boards since I found out my thyroid test came out low. The dr tested my levels & today I was put on a low dose of Synthroid. I asked about Armour and he'd never heard of it, Nor had the pharmacist (even though I live in Canada)? Maybe its called something else. Anyway, he said my TSH is 5.67; T3 is 1.3; T4 is 18.4, and that it could possibly correct itself over time... might be caused by a virus? I'm hopeful!
Did your heart rates improve soon after you began meds? Mine is getting so low, I'm sure that's why my weight-loss has stalled. :ohwell: Besides being in the last 10 lbs... Hoping energy returns!
I will begin taking this stuff tonight, at my midnight trip to the bathroom.... Pharmacist also did not mention calcium.
Thanks for all your help!

Replies

• shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Canada has different names for medications. My doctor has me take synthroid as it is the same dose for each pill, where as the generic and Armour can change with each bottle/pill. Thyroid can effect your heart, emotions, everything. Remember to wait 1 hour after taking synthroid before eating and take it with a glass of water. I didn't know how important it is to wait until I joined this site. I found that I need to take it in the morning as it kept me up at night....it may not be a problem for you. Everyone is different and each person responds in their very own way to medications and to thyroid disease.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Thanks Shvits,
    I took it at midnight & had no different of a sleep as usual, so I'll stick to it. I really don't like having to wait for my coffee! LOL. I couldn't drink a whole cup of water though. Is that important? The pharmacist didn't mention it.
    I'm kind of wondering about my numbers, what they mean... anybody know?
    Thanks,
    Debby
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'll have to dig out one of my labs and then I can tell you. If he gave you a copy of the labs it would tell you what the ranges are and if you are in the high or low range. I believe Erfa is the name of the Natural Dessicated Thyroid medication in Canada - it's the same as Armour.

I don't know if heart rate is related -- I have been hypo for many years and have always had a fast heart rate, not slow. That could be your adrenals or something else.

Terri
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Thanks Terri,
    I found the slow heart rate online, which pointed me to thyroid issues. I was trying to figure out what caused it. But the Dr. did say thyroid can cause a myriad of symptoms, because of its function. No, he didn't give me anything, I had to scribble it down on paper, and he said just forget those other numbers, all you need is the TSH. But I wrote them down anyway.

Thanks for answering! I don't think I feel any different yet, from taking the meds.

How long does it take to start improving? I see I am taking 75 mg.

Its sure great to have others that have gone through this.

Oh, anybody know a good tortilla recipe? for gluten-free? I just realized that's the only thing I eat with gluten in it! :wink:
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I hope the meds kick in for you -- I know they help some people - the synthetic T4 never did anything for my symptoms. And, it's pretty typical for doctors to say only TSH matters -- but that's just not correct. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t4-only-meds-dont-work/

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=821341
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I started taking Armour after reading about it on this Website. I feel GREAT!!! Better than I have in years!!! I'm not tired all the time and wake up every morning around 6 AM to take my pill-without an alarm clock. Plus, I always fall back to sleep until about 7;30-I used to sleep until 9 or 9;30. My Energy level is unbelievable-I go to the Gym almost everyday.
    I e-mailed my Dr. about taking me off Synthroid(wasn't working for me) and putting me on Armour-he did it with No hesitations. I do have to go for more Blood tests.
    I go to the Dr.s May 14th and I'll see what my Dr. has to say about me switching to Armour.
    Hope you can find Armour or whatever they call it there in Canada. It's worth it.
    Shirley
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Thank you both! Yes, I kind of felt that was probably the case with the TSH. However the Dr's wife is also on Sythroid, and he'd never hear of Armour, so I'll give it a shot.
    Today my heart has gone crazy. I wear a MyTrak & heart monitor for exercise, and my heart has gone crazy today. :noway: and I also kept having hot & cold, dizzy spells during church this morning... so something's up, but hopefully it straightens out soon.
    I will have to find out the name for sure & ask next visit.
    Thanks for the links too. :happy:
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I don't know.. I'm very worried of a doctor that never heard of Armour. Before Synthroid was invented in the 1970's Armour was the only medication available to treat hypothyroid. The pharmacutical companies went on the warpath promoting Synthroid and telling everyone that Armour was unstable and unreliable. But Synthroid is only T4 (inactive hormone). It relies on your thyroid being able to convert T4 to T3 (active hormone). I beleive I saw that your T4 is High and your T3 is low -- could this mean that your thyroid is not converting properly? Also, it's typical for Ferritin/Iron levels, Vitamin D levels, Selenium levels, Cortisol levels, etc. to all be out of whack due to hypothyroidism. In addition, most (not all) hypothyroidism is caused by Hashimoto Disease -- which is an autoimmune problem where your body produces antibodies that attacks your own thyroid.

I guess you can give it some time, but he needs to treat you holistically -- your whole body and all your symptoms. And you really need to educate yourself -- most doctors are clueless.
  • Crawline
    Crawline Posts: 1,028
    Options
    Yes, most doctors are clueless - take mine for example! LOL

I got my text results back last week. My thyroid was at 5.75 right before Christmas, and now it is at 7.34. I know it took a drop because of the 10 lbs I gained, but is it a significant drop over the course of 3 months, does anyone know?
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Hi,
    Interesting you call that a drop? looks like an increase to me? I don't understand these numbers, obviously.

Thanks Tecallahan,
    I was wondering what those numbers meant. I will have to do more research, and try & find out if there is a more wholistic dr here. Right now I am going to a walk-in clinic, so different drs see you.(my dr retired years ago & turned his office into a walk-in clinic, we've been so healthy, that it wasn't a need to find a family dr since then).
    Now that I know the name of Armour in Canada --Erfa-- I can ask again.
    Is it normal to get more palpitations & sweats when starting out the meds? Very annoying. :tongue:
  • Crawline
    Crawline Posts: 1,028
    Options
    A higher TSH means you have an underactive thyroid, the higher it gets, the more hypo you become is the way I understand it.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    That's true that high TSH means you are hypo -- but there are plenty of people with so-called "normal" TSH that are hypo as well and doctors don't look at the other hormones - such as Free T4, Free T3, Reverse T3, Thyroid Antibodies, adrenals, etc.

So - it's those people that are the poor undiagnosed.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Right, the higher the TSH, the more hypothyroid you are. The scale of "normal" goes up to 3 in some labs and 4.5 in others.

The bad thing is that you can be or feel hypothyroid without having a TSH over 3 or 4. So, they might get your TSH to look normal, but you may still have symptoms. My medication had to be adjusted after some trial and error, and I'm keeping my TSH fairly low ( without going into the hyperthyroid range, which has its own set of issues).

It would be good to read up on hypothyroidism, especially if your doctor doesn't seem like the sharing type. About.com has a wonderful section on thyroid disorders ( thyroid.about.com).
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Here are the "normal" levels -- but a good doctor will not just treat your levels, they will ask about your symptoms!

TSH -- 0.450 - 4.5 (believe me anyone that is 4.5 is probably Hypo!!)
    Thyroxine (T4) - 4.5 - 12.0
    Triiodothonine (T3) 71 - 180
    Free T4 .82 - 1.77
    Free T3 2.0 - 4.4
    Thyroid Peroxidase 0 - 34 (this is the antibody for Hasimoto)
    Antithyrogobulin 0 - 40 (this is the antibody for Graves)

So, if your TSH is "normal" and your T4 is high and your T3 is low, you are still hypothyroid! It means you have plenty of T4, but your body is not converting it to the active T3 that our metabolism needs. But many doctors only test TSH.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Wow thanks! Great info. I'm in process of finding out how to get a holistic dr. or referral.