Top 5 reasons to recover

Options
What motivates you most?
For me it's

1. To be able to go to school and train to be a chef. I want to be able to taste the food that I cook without it being a bit deal.
2. to poop! Regular bowel movements and a healthy colon.
3. To be able to go out and enjoy food with friends. Food can be social again.
4. to not spend hours wandering around the supermarket or binging and purging and instead get things done.
5. So my mum can look at me and be proud that I’m a happy, healthy an acheiving human being.

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    That's great actually transfixedtoa. I'm amazed by your will to become a chef :)
    No wonder you'll be a fantastic one

powerful victories to come here

Here are my reasons for orthorexia
    1. Being able to chill out with friends and not chose always the simplest, smallest meal that I would have identified
    2. Chilling out with my bro and pig out on colorful food, having the belly full
    3. Stop wasting my time over measuring, counting, scaling, weighting, and have more time to do my hobbies
    4. Eat pizzas
    5. Simply....enjoy and lose the feeling of control
  • RunningOnClouds
    RunningOnClouds Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1. To be able to focus on other things
    2. To experience less guilt
    3. To be less focused on my appearance
    4. To be strong and fit
    5. To sleep well
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    1. To appreciate how amazing life is and stop wasting my time obsessing over food.
    2. To enjoy the now and not keep looking ahead and worrying about the next meal.
    3. To stop abusing my system and give my body the care it deserves.
    4. To stop beating myself up for 'failing' - by eating too much, putting on weight, missing a workout.....
    5. TO BE HAPPY.
  • jesusismyrock7
    jesusismyrock7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1. So I can be healthy and happy and have a healthy perspective of food and nutrition
    2. I hate being obsessive about food and dieting and the obsession to be thin and in contro.
    3. I want to accomplish my goals and my desire to live for God without ANYTHING getting in the way especially a stupid eating disorder.
    4. I wanna live a long time and be a great example of someone who overcame the odds of addictions and recovered (drugs, cutting and bulimia).
    5. I wanna be a counselor and help treat people who have suffered from trauma and abuse and addictions and I can't do that if I am trapped in my addcitions.

Great question it really helped me put my life in perspective and motivated me to stay ED free! I haven't purged in a bout 8 months and only once since May 25th 2011 and I was bulimic for 17 years but we can all overcome this and live in freedom and walk in Victory free from a life focused on food and weight and calories and B/P and restricting!

I feel great now although I still struggle with the thoughts of B/P and restricting I know I can choose to live a better life!

Thanks again!
  • jescadet
    jescadet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1. To have goals that aren't centered around my appearance -- surely I have dreams and the potential to accomplish something bigger than running round this insane hamster wheel I'm stuck on
    2. To be a better friend, sister, girlfriend -- obsessing about my weight/food really gets in the way of connecting with the people I love
    3. To quit making scenes at restaurants. I'm so tired of the shame and embarrassment, missing out on the social aspect, the panic each and every time this issue comes up
    4. To quit hating myself -- I want to appreciate life and see the beauty in this world

Thanks for the great topic!
  • DLaszlo
    DLaszlo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1.) To be able to dance the amount of time I want without having to worry about fainting or falling off pointe and injuring myself so badly I can't dance again.
    2.) To do as well in school as I used to be able to. Even going to school will be great.
    3.) To not hate myself so much. It's crippling.. I want to feel comfortable going out and doing things.
    4.) So I can have a child some day
    5.) So I can help others
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to realize I can't always count or track or pick the blandest, least "offending" dish on the menu or have a panic attack at a social gathering.
    I hate that I am constantly calculating calories and calories burnt.
    To actually try and gain weight without sabotaging myself. I don't restrict but I'll work out endlessly to burn what I do eat.
    I just want to be able to enjoy food.
  • heylookitscass
    heylookitscass Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My reasons for recovering from my EDNOS:
    1. To actually be able to go on a hike and instead of think constantly about how many calories I'm burning, enjoy the nature.
    2. To go to class instead of skip to b/p.
    3. To do my coursework instead of using what little energy I have to exercise.
    4. To stop checking this site and my eating disorder blog incessantly instead of doing homework.
    5. To not be constantly worried about people noticing your weird eating habits.

... I have more reasons that SHOULD make me want to recover, but the problem is despite these compelling reasons, I don't want to recover. Am I too far gone?
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    1. To get my strength and energy back. I want to be able to walk, run, do my work properly and have fun with friends without struggling with staying alert and awake.
    2. So I can go to France and be an au pair.
    3. To cook amazing dishes and be able to enjoy them afterwards.
    4. To think "in five years I want to be doing this" instead of "in five years I hope I'm still alive".
    5. So I can inspire others.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    to save my teeth. years of b/p has worn off some of the enamel and it doesn't come back!

to save my esophogus. all that acid can't be good.

to be able to go out to dinner and not freak out.

to live the rest of my life as a healthy person!
  • Recovering_for_cupcakes
    Options
    1. To live to see my daughter grow up.
    2. To grow old with my husband.
    3. To be able to run and workout again.
    4. To be able to eat something without panicking or crying.
    5. To be free of the all consuming thoughts of my ED.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    1. TO LIVE
    2. To be here for my 3 boys
    3. To be happy
    4. To feel strong
    5. To be able to run my races and not pass out
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Great topic..My first one is to truely live. My ed is at the point where my organs are being severely effected. But in the same respect have no one to blame but myself. Next to be free. really free not think about how much I weight, how many calories are in something,if I gained weight, if I look fat ect... To be able to keep my job which I love. Nursing is my passion but getting to the point of not being able to do that anymore...and lastly I would love to be able to run or work out with out worrying out passing out or breaking any of my so very brittle bones.

Cant undo the harm I have done but I can try to prevent anymore damage from being done