Sugar Sugar Sugar Sugar Sugar

Options
beccarockslife
beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
Help! Some advice would be great.

I've been paleo for a couple of weeks, or at least I would be if the sugar didn't keep getting me!

I can do without grains no problem, hate dairy in the majority anyway, but the sugar keeps sucking me in! I don't even fancy tubers or fruit that much.

My cravings for sugar are doing me in! I swear it's undoing anything good I'm doing.

How did you get over any cravings you had?

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    After around 4/5 days your body actually stops craving sugar...Its your mind thats craving..

Stick at it...throw out all sugary stuff from your kitchen..You`ll get there..
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    After around 4/5 days your body actually stops craving sugar...Its your mind thats craving..

Stick at it...throw out all sugary stuff from your kitchen..You`ll get there..

^^ this, I stopped craving sugar after a week completely and drink my coffee without sugar , which I thought could never happen... I used to take 3 sugar and lots of milk now no sugar at all and take a lil almond milk or hazelnut milk
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have a piece of dark chocolate every night. Would this help at all? Buy good organic 70% or higher. It tastes awesome.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You will get past this, and what worked for me was no sugar at all the first 30 days and then only fruit and finally after a couple months having dark chocolate (one square) and now indulge sugar in my coffee. Only two sources of added sugar beyond natural sugars. Sugar is as addictive as cocaine so don't beat yourself up for slipping up. Just make the next day a no sugar day and soon you'll notice the cravings easier to handle.

I've been paleo a year.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I try to get the majority of my protein and fat first thing in the morning. It helps to keep the sugar cravings away.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Knowing why you're ditching the sugar, and that it isn't forever is helpful. Yes, those first 4-5 or so days were the hardest for me. Day 3 seemed especially tough, but once you kick it, you really truly stop craving it. It's so like an addictive drug that once you have it, you crave more. If you stop having it, eventually those cravings diminish and you find an inner strength you never knew you had. I can't tell you how many birthday cakes and goodbye cakes we've had in our company since January, at least 2-3 a week...and I've not had ANY. Not even really been tempted.

I know now that if I start, it's WAY too hard to stop. If I don't start, I can pass it by without much inner grizzling. (It doesn't hurt that I'm super satisfied by eating a nice large ribeye and some broccoli and such :)
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I was doing great for a long while then Easter came and yesterday I had my cousin's wedding shower.
    Blew it then. So now I'm back to starting over. I think the first day is the hardest. I try not to keep anything in the house which makes it a little easier. But I do think it gets easier with every day that goes by that I don't give in. I even got to the point where I didn't crave it at all even when my husband sat right next to me on the couch eating ice cream. I'll go and have a cup of tea with a tiny bit of honey. That helps me keep my mind off the desire for something sweeter.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, the only way I've found to get over intense sugar cravings is to not have anything with added sugar for about a week. After that, the cravings mostly subside. Mostly. I try to limit fruits when I'm having intense sugar cravings, as they seem to kick it into over drive. If I have fruit in the morning, guaranteed that I can't stop thinking about sugar/fruit all day, which of course makes avoiding it that much more difficult.

So my suggestion is to go "sugar free" as much as possible for at least a week, and don't eat fruit or fruit smoothies in the morning. Snack on veggies & dip or trail mix or something when you're craving.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Here Forbes magazine reports on what sugar does to your brain http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/04/01/what-eating-too-much-sugar-does-to-your-brain/

Post this on the cupboard with the sugar ;-)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've had ups and downs. Part because of my blood sugar/insulin problems (pre-diabetic) and part because I never completely removed ALL of it long enough.

You can try the supplement L-glutamine. Your brain will use this as fuel during the transition. Eggs are chock full of it.

I also take 5-HTP, GABA Calm, and DL-Phenylaline. (have L-tryptophan but usually take the 5-HTP). A book called Addiction: The Hidden Epidemic discussed these at length for dealing with all addictions and they include sweets and starches. Sugar travels the same brain pathways as opiate drugs; hence, the addiction/cravings.
    These supplements help replete the neurotransmitters in your brains (the feel-good chemicals like endorphins and serotonin). Not everyday, though.

Good luck. Sugar is pure evil. And such a sweet evil.
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Here Forbes magazine reports on what sugar does to your brain http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/04/01/what-eating-too-much-sugar-does-to-your-brain/

Post this on the cupboard with the sugar ;-)

wow! Very interesting article!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I plan my day around one big sugar thing....I really like things like Acorn and butternut squash and sweet potatoes - all of which while ther are veggies are higher in sugars...I also love me a nice crisp apple with some almond butter...

So if I plan can plan out my day and include a nice dose of higher sugar fruit or veggie I am fine...

Some days I plan around 2-3 lower sugar items - like some berries, a few squares of 72% chocolate

It is hard I won't lie...I have found some new snacks - like mashing up 1/2 of an avocado and use red pepper strips or baby carrots to dip...the red pepper does have some sugars in it - but it makes a nice little package of some sweetness and some good fats
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I'm not sure how everyone feels about it- but I love stevia as a sugar alternative. I buy powdered stevia extract at Trader Joe's and use it to bake with. Also, you can buy liquid stevia drops. They make a flavored variety (my fiance likes the vanilla kind, I feel 'safer' sticking with unflavored, but I'm happy to have gotten him off of sweet n low). The drops are great for beverages, hot or cold. I use it in coffee and tea (hot or iced). I also use it in my avocado pudding- I blend an avocado with a splash of unsweeted almond milk, a bunch of blueberries and a dropper full of stevia- heaven! Also, it's great to add to unsweetened full fat greek yogurt (I rarely have yogurt, but when I do, I add the stevia). If you can't get stevia at any local grocery stores, I know you can order it online. I find the liquid stuff at Whole Foods, but have seen it in the "natural food" section of some regular grocery places.

:)

EDIT: I do stay away from that truvia and purvia crud though... I haven't really looked into what they do to stevia to make it, but they do something... why do companies insist on taking perfectly good things and processing them!!!???... oh yeah... money...
  • scubagoil
    scubagoil Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how everyone feels about it- but I love stevia as a sugar alternative. I buy powdered stevia extract at Trader Joe's and use it to bake with. Also, you can buy liquid stevia drops. They make a flavored variety (my fiance likes the vanilla kind, I feel 'safer' sticking with unflavored, but I'm happy to have gotten him off of sweet n low). The drops are great for beverages, hot or cold. I use it in coffee and tea (hot or iced). I also use it in my avocado pudding- I blend an avocado with a splash of unsweeted almond milk, a bunch of blueberries and a dropper full of stevia- heaven! Also, it's great to add to unsweetened full fat greek yogurt (I rarely have yogurt, but when I do, I add the stevia). If you can't get stevia at any local grocery stores, I know you can order it online. I find the liquid stuff at Whole Foods, but have seen it in the "natural food" section of some regular grocery places.

:)

EDIT: I do stay away from that truvia and purvia crud though... I haven't really looked into what they do to stevia to make it, but they do something... why do companies insist on taking perfectly good things and processing them!!!???... oh yeah... money...

Yes, I just saw this article today about Truvia having corn based ingredients!

http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/truvia-contains-corn-based-ingredients/
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just saw this article today about Truvia having corn based ingredients!

http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/truvia-contains-corn-based-ingredients/

Good link, thanks for sharing.
    I've been looking for a really good quality stevia. There are methods of extracting the sweetness out of stevia yourself if inclined (involves stewing leaves in vodka then heating the alcohol out of it.) I'm a fan of Sweet Leaf brand which I get via Amazon prime.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd update you, I'm getting better, I avoided cupcakes yesterday and had sausages instead, today I avoided some treats my kid kept offering me! Feeling a bit better, realised that there are ... urm...hormonal reasons why I could have been finding it hard too!
  • kecarlto
    kecarlto Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've only been eating paleo for a week but I've always avoided sugar for the most part. I like to eat a few frozen red grapes if I want something sweet. It's like having a bite sized grape popsicle. De-stem, wash and drain the grapes, toss them in a freezer bag and freeze for at least a few hours. They seem a bit sweeter when they are frozen for some reason and the best part is that you can stop after popping a couple grapes - you have to eat them slowly because they're sooooo cold. YUM.

*not sure if this is really paleo but it is whole food
  • Csini
    Csini Posts: 3
    Options
    Is here someone who has paleo diet plan,under 1300kcal?
  • ethelapple
    Options
    I don't eat any refined sugar if I can avoid it, and I sweeten things with dates, agave, maple syrup, or honey in very very small portions! :D
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Is here someone who has paleo diet plan,under 1300kcal?

My calorie goal is set to 1350 - and my dairy is open if you want to take a look...(disregard today as I went around the Primal/Paleo and had some delicious Pho)