Nervous about race

Options
I know missing a long run isn't necessarily a big deal, but I can't shake the feeling that my performance is going to suffer because it was my last long run before my taper. My training plan is here: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51140/Marathon-Intermediate-2-Training-Program

I modified the training by increasing my long runs up to 26 miles, but I was unable to complete my last long run (only made it about 4 miles) because of severe pain in my foot. My weekday runs are at about 8/mile, long runs about 8:30/mile, and pace runs about 7:30/mile. The race is 2 weeks from today, and today I did 12 miles. The plan has a 3 week taper.

It's nagging me! What do you guys think?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you the answer in two weeks...

Training should be fine as long as your foot holds up on race day. Is this your first marathon?
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    It'll be my 3rd marathon. My foot is fine now.
  • arc918
    Options
    It'll be my 3rd marathon. My foot is fine now.

Ok, so you should have a good handle on everything!

Glad your foot is better. Good luck on race day:

I know you are experienced, but I will still provide my top three marathon tips for other to enjoy (free of charge):

1) don't go out too fast
    2) don't go out too fast
    3) don't go out too fast
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue, apart from this is my first marathon ( in 1 1/2 weeks- eek), i missed a week of training, and i'm nowhere near as fit or fast as you!

what i do know is that you've already got your base. so, unless your foot plays up again, you've got nothing to worry about. you've already run a few fulls, so you know you can do it. it's just a matter of doing it now. if you really want to, you can run a 20 miler as you're still 2 weeks out. i chose to run 16 miles, to keep the mileage up there but i didn't want to try and kill myself!!

you'll be sweet as. good luck with it.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first, so you have more experience than me but all I've read says to trust in your training...

You did the miles so your body is ready... you have done it before so you know the mental games... Start slow and listen to your body- it will let you know when to kick it in and go!

Unless you were planning on winning the race there is nothing to be nervous about- enjoy the run, enjoy the scenery, enjoy the comradierie!

PS- I'll add a 4th tip to ARC918's post: Have Fun!
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Thanks, guys! No matter what happens, it will be fun! I guess the part that makes me wonder about if I'll meet my goals is that on race day it will have been 5 weeks since my last 20+ mile run, but what's done is done!

My main goal is to beat my previous time of 3:36:41 and my secondary goal is to beat 3:30:00. But even if something happens and I don't beat either, I'll be proud of how I took my training to a higher level than I had before.

BTW, the race is the North-South Marathon in Gettysburgh, PA.
  • biobreak
    biobreak Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This. For all marathoners!
    1) don't go out too fast
    2) don't go out too fast
    3) don't go out too fast
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    My race went great! I shaved 9 minutes off my previous PR and finished in 3:27:18 and never hit the wall! I didn't think I would actually beat 3:30:00. Now I'm taking a year-long break running long distances.
  • arc918
    Options
    My race went great! I shaved 9 minutes off my previous PR and finished in 3:27:18 and never hit the wall! I didn't think I would actually beat 3:30:00. Now I'm taking a year-long break running long distances.

Wow, that is a SOLID time! Congrats!

Good luck steeping away from long distance - marathons I just can't quit you...