Do you prefer the gym or home for workouts?

Options
Jessica1274
Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
I really do like the equipment that's available at the gym, but I also really like working out at home. I like the quiet and privacy.

I bought a three week trial to the gym. I have two weeks left. I'm not sure what I'll do after that. Is there anyone else who just really prefers to workout at home?

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Me. totally. I love that I don't have to worry if i've just rolled out of bed and look like crap, i don't have to get to/from the gym, i get to shower in my own bathroom with my own stuff, i can work out at whatever time of day/night i like (important if you're a night shift worker!), I can mix up my protein shake in my kitchen, i don't have to wait for equipment, or worry about looking silly when i fall off the swiss ball...

The only downside i can think of is the lack of a cable system, but i get around that just fine. I got all the rest of the equipment fairly cheaply, and my husband is my form check, once i show him the moves on you tube so he knows what it's supposed to be like!

I don't think i'm the only one, plenty of other on here who do the same. Sometimes there just isn't a decent gym option....
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

... I love that I don't have to worry if i've just rolled out of bed and look like crap, i don't have to get to/from the gym, i get to shower in my own bathroom with my own stuff, i can work out at whatever time of day/night i like (important if you're a night shift worker!), I can mix up my protein shake in my kitchen, i don't have to wait for equipment, or worry about looking silly when i fall off the swiss ball...

I have most of these benefits, but at the gym. LOL. I go bet. 5-5:30 am, so I do roll out of bed & usually do look like crap. I do have to get there & back, but getting out of the house helps me wake up before I start. I go home to shower & get ready for work in my own bathroom and make my shake in my own kitchen. I am restricted by the gym's hours, but my gym is open 5 am - 11 pm weekdays (8-8 weekends). At that early hour, I've never had to wait for equipment, but I definitely DO look silly when I fall off the swiss ball. Luckily there aren't too many other early birds to see it, and it's less embarrassing than falling off the treadmill (which I've also recently done), so I try not to worry about it. :)

I also love not worrying about whether I'll wake up my kids or not, and I have room to spread out at the gym as needed (my house is really small).
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym. I don't have the space for all the equipment needed to do serious lifting. I never would have been able to make the strength gains, lost inches, and body fat% I have achieved without the gym.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    I think I'm preferring home. I have a pretty sweet set up upstairs in my bonus room, and we can afford to equip it fairly well. I like the convenience. I like my husband being around. And after this morning's meathead incident, I just don't know if I want to keep paying for the gym.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I like to do it at home well enough, but until I get a rack it's not practical or safe. I'm at my maximum I can do at home on squats and deadlifts, which is around 90lbs. I can do more at the gym. and the gym has a better selection of dumbbells too - at home mine are only 8, 15, and 24 (using plates and a little dumbbell bar). To get higher, I would have to take plates off my barbells.
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Home. Hands down. We already owned most of the equipment for my husband so I just told him "I need the gym from this time to this time on these days".
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home so I don't have to deal with waiting for other people or them waiting for me. But, I don't have a cable machine at home so I am missing that for some workouts. I have found substitutions but I prefer the cable exercises.
  • kcmom2four
    kcmom2four Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am just on workout number two but I am working out at home. I find that I have a really hard time when I commit to something away from home. There is always an easy excuse(sick kid, laundry...whatever). I invested a little money on Craigslist and now I can do the workouts whenever I want to. I love it so far! I don't have the cable machine but I just did the recommended adaptation. ANYTHING is going to be more than what I was doing which was holding the couch down!!!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I prefer home because it's quicker to get in and out, and plus it's a nice setup with computer, the music i want, working out in my undies, etc. :D

That said, I was thinking about using the gym on the weekends since I'm not in such a rush, the equipment is same/better and the air conditioning is certainly better and that's gonna make a big difference soon
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I totally prefer home. The gym I belong to is super sweet and has everything you could want and more. But driving there, dealing with the kids in child care, waiting for equipment and lacking the other comforts of my home, I just prefer to stay home.

I like the flexibility of home- any time, any day in anything I want to wear. I can play my own music, work at my pace and never have to wait for stuff. I don't have people looking at me or me distracted by looking at them.

Equipment is an issue. I've realized we'll have to invest in some things, but we have the space and a nice set up. I just ordered a power rack from amazon- it looks like a great rack (still waiting for delivery) for a great price and will allow me to lift heavier safely! It was recommended on the bodybuilding.com forum.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VLRVSC

I'm adding a lat/row attachment and we already have lots of free weights. I just need some more olympic plates and I'll be set for much less than the cost of a gym.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    I just ordered a power rack for my home gym, too.

This week I'm trying out a different gym in my town. I like it much better than the first one. I still like home, too. Lol! I've decided there is a place for The Gym and also for a home gym in my life. Kind of like the whole "some times you feel like a nut, some times you don't." Some times I feel like going out to the gym, and some times I feel like walking upstairs in my home and working out.