Exercise (in private)?

Options
Okay, okay, so... this is probably a situation in which someone will suggest I just man up and stop being such a pansy, but I'm going to go for it anyway.

I love exercise. Not too hard, but I love aerobics ('cause it's all I'm good at). I really, really love jumping rope. <3. Here's my dilemma. I live in an apartment (upstairs, for that matter), so whatever exercises I can do inside are a bit limited, I think. I can easily go outside or even to a gym to work out, but I hate for people to see me (I'm the nervous type of person who is terrible at the soliciting portion of my job solely because... I don't like being around people too much, ha). I would love love love to exercise at night, but I worry for things like the jump rope being too loud and bothering my neighbors, or that if I go for a walk at the track at the nearby elementary school, I might get attacked or something (which I used to walk late at night there by myself, but the older I get, the more aware I am of all the bad things that happen in town).

Does anyone have any suggestions for some light or moderate workouts that I can do quietly in my apartment?

Replies

• Ashleyanne271
    Ashleyanne271 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! I used to live in an apartment and worried about the same things! I also hate working out in front of people which is why I work out at home. I would recommend workout DVDs, a lot of them do not require too much jumping so it might not be as loud.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    hi, I live in apartment as well. I have a stationary bike in my living room :))) I also do workout DVD's, and I some jumping jacks and jump rope in my living room ( on a carpet ) so it's not too noisy. Haven't heard any complaints from the neighbors yet :))):wink:
  • keggen
    keggen Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So what if you left a note for the people below you asking them to let you know if it bothered them?
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have a few sets of dumbells and some resistance bands, so that makes it easy to (quietly) do some weight bearing exercises. And I agree that DVDs are a great way to do a home workout; I find that I push myself more if I follow a set program than if I just lift weight until I'm tired. I would guess that there are also a lot of workout "videos" on YouTube or other internet sites if you want something a little cheaper, I just haven't tried that yet.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Go check out Good Will and get yourself a cheap set of hand weights and resistance bands. You do all kinds of exercises with those that require absolutely no jumping. You could also try Pilates DVDs- very quiet just laying on the floor :)

Also here is an ab exercise routine one of my friends just posted that can be done quietly (I did it so I can vouch and my abs are killing me too so it worked): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PHLLLY/view/my-partial-ab-core-glute-routines-with-pictures-251818

And I'm sure you already know this... but keep in mind is that pretty much everyone at the gym is so wrapped up in what they are doing and what they look like, that hardly notice anybody else. I'm an observer so I do watch people, and honestly there are people I've been working out next to for months that never noticed me until I said something to them. For example there are two sisters at my gym that I've been seeing for the past 4 years, neither knew I existed until about 4 months ago when I started talking to them. Proves my point that most people are completely oblivious to their surroundings, especially if they're in the gym and "in the zone." Another thing you might not be aware of is that you can workout in private at the gym. When there are no classes going on, my gym opens up the studio and anyone can go in there and do their thing.

I'm not particularly social either but I am competitive, and the only reason I go to classes is to compete against the other people. I pick someone in the class who is obviously fit and being doing it for a while, and then challenge myself to do better than them. They don't know they're competing against me, but it gives me extra motivation to push myself harder. Just some food for thought as you continue your fitness journey :)

Finally the last thing I'll say if you want to get away from the world, go for a hike! I feel so great when I'm out in nature, no people, just me and my dog doing our thing.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Barre workout videos will kick your butt, and the neighbors will never hear a thing!