overheating...

Options
Hi! I was diagnosed with MS four years ago...and I found out with working out I overheat quickly. It took 2 times to realize this is what was setting off my relapses (not always a quick learner lol) I've tried everything to curb this. You can't imagine how much water I drink. If I'm doing a 45min workout, I've figured out with me stopping to drink it comes down to a 35min workout. I no longer go to a gym this way I can wear more comfortable clothing. Does anyone else have this problem? And if so what are you doing to keep cool. Thanks for any input! (And if this has been addressed before, sorry I'm new here and just figuring out how to navigate the site ) :smile: :wink:

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    my doctor told me to just work out 20 minutes a day. same thing happens with me. i still do regular workouts and just deal with the temporary symptoms...good luck...
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When I first started training this was an issue for me as well. Now I know I have regulate my temp or I will run into issues.

Indoors - I drink a ton of COLD water, and that really helps. (I have several polar bottles that live in the freezer - also get the big ones, the small ones are just too small IMO) I also wear the right clothes so I don't overheat.
    I tried one of those neck things - but it bothers me to have something around my neck.

Outside, when I bike, I have 4 bottles on my bike. 2 of them, I'm pretty much dumping on my head during the ride. When I run outside, I always run with one of those water bottles that straps to your hand, I use that to cool down when needed. I also run w/ a "runners" visor that keeps the sun off my face which helps alot. It also has a thick terrycloth type band on it. If its hot out, I make sure that its soaked w/ cold water. During a race, I keep it in a cooler of Ice water, and it helps regulate my temp when I get off the bike and transition to the run.

Outdoors, clothing is huge, I make sure to wear clothes that wick moisture away and keeps me cool.

Hope that helps.
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I too have problems with this--esp because we live in the desert and summers here are HOT!! When I work out I kick our air conditioner up to where it's down right cold and I keep a fan blowing air on me at all times. I don't workout in a gym that does not have a good air conditioner for this very reason.

Also I drink LOTS of cold water too. We have 3 horses--so if I want to be out with them--I stick to being outdoors in the cooler parts of the day..either early in the morning or after 5:00 p.m.-

I also invested in a good Cool-Vest. Which is a garmet you can wear either over or under your clothes and it has inserts which you freeze and place in compartments in the vest. It keeps your core temp regulated and it makes it where I can work outside with my horses for up to 2 hrs and not over-heat.

You can find many differnent styles and price ranges in the National MS magazine. The vest is easy to fit to yourself (has lots of elastic adjustments, and it's machine washable).

Hope this helps. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • CAlexRose
    CAlexRose Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT and power lifting and I use a cooling vest, and sometimes neck collar to stay cool. I also drink a lot of water and use a wet towel on my face at times. I work out for about 20 minutes for HIIT and 1 hour for lifting.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've seen some of those Cool-Vest in some mags, and always wondered how they are. Are bulky at all? How heavy are they?
  • jgsm
    jgsm Posts: 16
    Options
    This is an irritation for me too. After only about ten minutes into a workout, the tingling and numbness start to amp up more than usual, and by the end of the workout, my feet always feel webbed and my fingers are novacaine-like numb. And those are my least bothersome symptoms. The overheating seems to also really effect the vertigo/ dizziness and spasticity, and I often have moments of brain fog for an hour or so after exercising.

I always have lots of cold water nearby and exercise in air-conditioned rooms and/or with fans blowing on me (summer months/ hot weather outside is pretty impossible)- but the symptoms still creep up. Like psmd says, after a while you just learn to deal with the temporary symptoms and make adjustments where you can.

I've never tried a vest, but have found the cooling bands around my neck/ wrists (for me) to be more bothersome than they're worth. A friend recently mentioned hyper-evaporative cooling towels and cloths that are supposed to stay cool for 1 -4 hours after a simple soak in water. We do a lot of hiking, and she had recommended them for things like that, but I haven't tried them out yet. I think you can find them fairly inexpensively at places like ****s or Sports Authority- there are several different brands. Anyone else tried these?
  • Nettegrae
    Options
    Those are some great tips everyone gave! Thank-you! I also saw the vest & wonder if it fit like a fisherman vest lol or if its light weight and form fitting. I'm going to look into the shirt suggestions ASAP! I really like that idea. I drink none stop when I workout. But I'm not fond of cold water. I like it room temp. I might have to change that.
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    Remember to use your local MS chapter for equipment! Each chapter has a set amount of funds to spend on members each year and a cooling vest is one of those things they offer. Also let your chapter know of other needs, they are there to help with improving the quality of their members lives. They are wonderful for keeping cool while taking walks and hikes. The vest that I had gotten a few years back was nicely form fitting, and light and you wore it under your clothing.
  • qcbuttercup
    qcbuttercup Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel better. I was doing a work out class and having problems with dizziness. I choose to do water aerobics. It regulates my body temp, and I enjoy it. Been doing it for a year now.
  • RetaRose
    RetaRose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well. When I work out, or even when im just out in the heat for to long. I use ice packs to help keep me cool. I went and got some of those work out band you where on your head and arms, and I dipped them in water and then put them in the freezer, helps to keep me cool, and of course like everone said I drink lots of ice water
  • KerrieB40
    KerrieB40 Posts: 13
    Options
    I get overheated ALL THE TIME. In fact sitting here now I can tell my head (yes, my head) is sweating under my hair. My hands are always bright red it seems too. It's just a joy....not!

I'm definitely going to be using the neck coolers this summer and may look in to a cooling vest or other product. I'm really sick of being so hot all the time.
  • ktardis
    ktardis Posts: 3
    Options
    You can get gel filled neck wraps to put on during a workout, they help. But I find what is best is drink very cold Gatorade right after a workout....................cools me down a lot quicker than cold water.
  • newMe936
    newMe936 Posts: 31
    Options
    A beta nurse recommended that I keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone after I called about some worsening leg pain. I was in denial about being heat sensitive and had started step aerobics. A month later the leg pain increased. So she recommended thinks like yoga, strength training, moderate ellipitical work or water aerobics. Things that wouldn't cause my core temp to get too high. She also told me to make sure I kept my fluid intake high.
  • kkej1
    kkej1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I too overheat (MS). I found drinking water and working out in the evening or early morning. If it is too hot I go to my basement.
    As for the cooling vest, I had one that I wore to Disney since it is too hot there. It was bulky and did not really work for me.
    It was more of a pain.