April 14, 2012

Options
chicky89
chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
Clearly, I'm not a morning bird, like some of you folks! Going to have to post it the challenge the night before for you guys!!!

Today, I want you to research your favorite VEGETABLE!!!! and tell us the nutritional facts, what good stuff is it them, and how you eat them (raw, or how you cook them!)

Asparagus, roasted on BBQ with a lil olive oil, and some seasoning. mmmm

Asparagus is low in sodium and cholesterol. A good source in Iron, Magnesium and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper, Manganese and Selenium.

Replies

• WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I picked yellow onions. I have really taken a liking to them since I started this journey. I cup chopped is 64 cals. They're very low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium. They're a good source of fiber, vitamin B6, folate, potassium and manganese. They're also an excellent source of vitamin C. I loved to add them raw to sandwiches, grill them and add to just about everything, and add them to my crock pot chili. Yum. I just had some in a quesadilla :)
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Oh my, this is tough.... Veggies are my favorite! Asparagus is definitely top 3 for me so thanks for the info :)

I'm going with poblano peppers! My favorite way to prep them is to roast and peel them then stuff them with all sorts of goodies! My fave would be shrimp, mushrooms, onions, cilantro, and a white cheese ( I like Swiss). If you have the calories left, a good poblano cream sauce makes these irresistible!

As far as nutrition, they are very low cal with tons of flavor and have relatively high fiber compared to other peppers.

FYI... I'm def not a morning person either so don't expect my responses until later in the day :)
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oh my, this is tough.... Veggies are my favorite! Asparagus is definitely top 3 for me so thanks for the info :)

I'm going with poblano peppers! My favorite way to prep them is to roast and peel them then stuff them with all sorts of goodies! My fave would be shrimp, mushrooms, onions, cilantro, and a white cheese ( I like Swiss). If you have the calories left, a good poblano cream sauce makes these irresistible!

As far as nutrition, they are very low cal with tons of flavor and have relatively high fiber compared to other peppers.

FYI... I'm def not a morning person either so don't expect my responses until later in the day :)

That sounds incredibly yummy!
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    ZUCCHINI baby!!!which is actually a fruit WHO KNEW? well now you do :P you're welcome HEHE

The zucchini or courgette is a summer squash which often grows to nearly a meter in length, but which is usually harvested at half that size or less. It is a hybrid of the cucumber. Along with certain other squashes, it belongs to the species Cucurbita pepo. Zucchini can be dark or light green. A related hybrid, the golden zucchini, is a deep yellow or orange color.[1]

In a culinary context, the zucchini is treated as a vegetable, which means it is usually cooked and presented as a savory dish or accompaniment. Botanically, however, the zucchini is an immature fruit,

The zucchini fruit is low in calories (approximately 15 food calories per 100 g fresh zucchini) and contains useful amounts of folate (24 mcg/100 g), potassium (280 mg/100 g) and vitamin A (384 IU [115 mcg]/100 g. 1/2 cup of zucchini also contains 19% of the recommended amount of manganese

I love to slice it thin, coat with a little bit of olive oil mixed with light seasonings and GRILL IT! or just as is cut up and put in a salad or in soup

My dog also loves it, his favorite treat is a yummy piece of zucchini :D
  • michie27
    michie27 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I must say I am not a huge fan of vegetables, they were the one thing never eaten on my plate as a child. I'm trying new ones every now and then and learning to make them. Right now, as boring as it is; broccoli is my favourite.
    It''s a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables that includes cauliflower, cabbage, turnips, rutabaga, kale, bok choy, Brussels sprouts and mustard greens. Broccoli is packed with vitamin A & C, beta carotene, B vitamins especially B3 and B5, folic acid, phosphorus, potassium, iron, chromium, which is an easily absorbed form of calcium, zinc and lots of fiber.
    It's also loaded with carotenoids - antioxidants that are thought to help with weight loss. And it's only about 30 calories per cup. I enjoy it steamed with olive oil and and a pinch of black pepper and salt.