Soooo Sore

Options
I did my first workout Monday. I could hardly walk Tuesday and halfway through yesterday. I was going to go yesterday to lift but was booted from the weights and aerobics room. I did 30min of light spin. Today was workout 2 and man I super sore again. Don't get me wrong....I love this but what can I do to help with the soreness? I really want to lift Mon/Wed/Fri but I think I may have to have 2 days of rest days in between for awhile. Will that throw things off? Like Workout A, 2days off, Workout B, 2 Days off, Workout A and so on?!?! On the days off I will be walking or doing light spin. I am in love with this all so far and I know its only my 2nd workout but I love it. I can't wait to lift again!!!!!

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I think Tylenol or Advil for soreness. I find walking loosens my muscles & at least temporarily relieves soreness too.

Your plan of switching to 2 days/week for awhile seems like a good solution too. The book does say 2 or 3 per week is best, so nothing wrong with 2. :)
  • mirrim666
    mirrim666 Posts: 17
    Options
    Make sure you stretch thoroughly after lifting. It makes a big difference with the next day soreness.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Stretch after lifting, take hot shower or bath and foam roller is very, very helpful.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Are you having a protein shake after your workout? I drink mine within 30 minutes of my workout. I honestly don't know if this has any bearing on intensity of DOMS, but I have yet to experience them to any great degree.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage 7, so I've been doing this for a while, but I still get VERY sore after the first time I do something new or that I haven't done for a while. For example, Monday I did stage 7, workout 1. I'm still VERY sore today, although not as sore as yesterday and the day before, but I still feel ripped to shreds. Every muscle from my knees to my kneck (except my abs) hurts.... I did not stretch after my Monday workout and I went straight to work (sitting almost exclusively for 8 hours), and I'm quite certain that didn't help any. In any case, my point is, this happens to me every time I start something new or something I haven't done for a while. Usually I don't get this sore, but I do have to take an extra day off when I do something new. Rarely, but it does happen, I have to take nearly a week off like this time. And honestly, I didn't feel like I pushed myself this hard..... If you find anything that helps with this, I'd love to hear about it!! I shoot for 150+ g of protein a day - with a shake immediatly after my workouts (thought I didn't add carbs with it this time, maybe that was a problem too). Unfortunatly, I don't have a bath tub - I'd sure love a nice hot bath.....
  • TheReese1206
    Options
    Yes. I'm drinking it about 40min after.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It gets better - if it helps you to go 2 days a week for a few weeks do it, but if you pushed through it and did 3 days a week I bet you'd stop feeling so sore after 3 or 4 workouts.