Why, why, WHY???/

greekygirl
greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
Hi Friends,
I was doing so well for a few days but today and yesterday were really bad. I ate a bunch of cookies yesterday and feel kinda ill from eating too much chocolate today.

I thought today would be fairly easy because I felt so full and gross last night from the cookie binge. Even this morning when I woke up the food still felt heavy in my stomach. But somehow, I found myself in my officemate's candy jar this afternoon. Actually, I know how it happened. My officemate wasn't in today (I won't eat it if she's there) and my friend was eating it and it looked good. But I can't just have a little like some people can. Once I start it can get ugly. lol.

Why is it that sometimes it's so easy and sometimes it's not? Why does the food sound so good even though I know I will feel sick after I eat it? I'm just like a drug addict...I only remember the high and not the low.

It's really difficult when I'm at goal weight and can't really lose any more...then my head starts saying "you can eat now" even though I know I can't! It's so hard for me to maintain - I can lose and I can gain but maintaining is tough. Sounds like I still have the diet mentality. Ugh.

I have no idea if I am even making sense but I guess I just needed to share. I just feel like I'm stuck with no way out and I hate that! I am trying to remember that I will be ok and this will pass and it will be easy again. Two days is not as bad as I think it is. I need to not punish myself, it will only make it worse. Tomorrow is a new day and I will never be "cured". this is a lifelong battle and I'm not giving up!

Thanks for being here.

I'm really nervous about clicking on "post topic" but I'm going to anyway. :embarassed:

Replies

• MelV1
    MelV1 Posts: 31
    Hello my friend,

Glad you posted! This is the difference that is going to help us break this battle, now we have the support from each other! I am reading a book right now on binge eating and of course I know you already know but I am just learning, the book says we are stuffing down a feeling that we need to feel and don't want to feel. If we just try to go with it and figure out what feeling we are stuffing down we can work on it and be much better in the long run. Jeez....I hope that makes sense! I just want to reach out to you and be here for you! I have been where you are sooo many times and it has put the scale back up for me. Don't let this beat you, you are much stronger!

Sending you strength!!
  • DTBurroughs
    DTBurroughs Posts: 21 Member
    I think maintenance is really hard, even for people who don't struggle with binging. But you can do it! I am trying to lose right now, but it sometimes helps me to remind myself that one or two days of binging is not what made me gain so much weight. Months of daily binges did that. I can recover from two days, a slip is not a reason to throw myself down into a hole that is so much harder to climb out of.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Hi Friends,
    I was doing so well for a few days but today and yesterday were really bad. I ate a bunch of cookies yesterday and feel kinda ill from eating too much chocolate today.

I thought today would be fairly easy because I felt so full and gross last night from the cookie binge. Even this morning when I woke up the food still felt heavy in my stomach. But somehow, I found myself in my officemate's candy jar this afternoon. Actually, I know how it happened. My officemate wasn't in today (I won't eat it if she's there) and my friend was eating it and it looked good. But I can't just have a little like some people can. Once I start it can get ugly. lol.

Why is it that sometimes it's so easy and sometimes it's not? Why does the food sound so good even though I know I will feel sick after I eat it? I'm just like a drug addict...I only remember the high and not the low.

It's really difficult when I'm at goal weight and can't really lose any more...then my head starts saying "you can eat now" even though I know I can't! It's so hard for me to maintain - I can lose and I can gain but maintaining is tough. Sounds like I still have the diet mentality. Ugh.

I have no idea if I am even making sense but I guess I just needed to share. I just feel like I'm stuck with no way out and I hate that! I am trying to remember that I will be ok and this will pass and it will be easy again. Two days is not as bad as I think it is. I need to not punish myself, it will only make it worse. Tomorrow is a new day and I will never be "cured". this is a lifelong battle and I'm not giving up!

Thanks for being here.

I'm really nervous about clicking on "post topic" but I'm going to anyway. :embarassed:

i didn't do so well yesterday either. i know why for me. i am so pissed that i am doing insanity and gaining weight. i keep thinking that i'm putting all this hard work in to lose this weight and then i keep gaining. so i had a binge last night. and today i woke up and weighed and sure enough i gained 1.6 lb in one day. but i know i didn't really gain weight. i shouldn't have even weighed. it made it feel so much more real to see that number, 6 lb up from where i was a few months ago. it just makes me so mad because i am doing this intense program hoping to drop the last 5-7 lb and sure enough i gain...
    it made me so mad i felt like throwing in the towel with the diet portion of this. why am i working so hard to eat well and exercise when i gain weight? i was feeling pretty bad about it the last few days. but, i agree about not punishing ourselves. i just look to the reason i am doing it now instead of beating myself up. i know what the reason is this time - all this hard work to what end? also, we had a big catered lunch at work and i felt like i had to "do well" because of this program i'm on. really i just wanted to pig out like everyone else was doing, but i didn't. so then of course in the evening i had to eat treat after treat. i got to the point where i was like "why i am doing this? do i even want this food? no, i don't!" so i totally feel what you're saying. i got with in 1 lb of goal weight in jan/feb, i was so close. and then i had to gain weight from all my binging ... thought i could do this program and lose the weight again, maybe eat a little more... and not so much. i am so frustrated. i am keeping at insanity but i'm just really annoyed by all of this. i get a workout day today and then rest day so hoping that will get my mind cleared.

i totally feel what you are going through. some weeks/months it feels like this never ending cycle.
  • sncmaddie
    sncmaddie Posts: 37 Member
    I feel everybody's pain on this thread. I've been an out of control binge eater for about seven years and have gained over 100 pounds as a result. I can't stop bingeing. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Kudos to all of you who have had moments of victory. I'm very proud of you because I know how hard it is. Keep on persevering and hoping for better days.
  • OK ladies.... I am sure that you wouldn't be this mean to your children/mother/best friend. You need to remember that you are worth the fight, you deserve to be happy.

I totally understand where you are coming from...been there and done that many times. Today is a new day and it will be a better day! We are all here for you!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Thanks for sharing, and you make total sense. Maybe someone w/o a food problem wouldn't understand but those of us who can relate do. I have the same exact thoughts sometimes. The good news is that you are very aware of your behavior instead of trying to pretend it isn't happening. So good for you for that! :flowerforyou:
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Thank you so much for your responses and support! It's so nice having friends that understand.

I guess I am feeling better today...mentally, but not physically. The bingeing usually makes me physically ill the morning after. But I'm not going to beat myself up!!! I am WAY too hard on myself and I have such a hard time not punishing myself. And I agree, I wouldn't tolerate being treated like this from someone else! So I am trying to be kind and just take care of myself today.

I hope we all have a great Friday! Thank you again! I love this group! You guys are the best!! :happy:
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    it is really good to not feel alone with the binging. i know others go through it too and i try to keep that in mind as i'm having one. no need to hide or be secretive, just know i'm binging, out with it.
  • horndame
    horndame Posts: 16
    Be kind to yourself. Every day I tell myself, this is who I am today. This is where I am at today. It focuses my attention on the right things, instead of blaming myself for gaining weight (the past) or living in a fantasy (the future). Every night, when I'm lying in bed, I think about what I am grateful for in my life...my family, my friends, having a safe, cozy place to live, and so on. And I try to think of at least one or two things that I did today that were good, like exercising or cheering up a friend or cleaning the kitchen. I think we magnify all of the negatives and diminish the positives. My goal is to reverse that. It's tough, but it can be done.

It's good that you posted! The times we are least likely to reach out, especially when we are ashamed of our bingeing, are the times we most likely need it!

Hang in there! You are worth it. :smile: