has anyone cured their thyroid problems naturally?

Options
rosalang
rosalang Posts: 49 Member
has anyone been able to help their thyroid problems naturally
i came off levothyroxine 6 months ago as it was causing my hair to go really thin. my doctor isnt very helpful but is monitoring me every 3 months so need some help from you guys

Replies

• bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    has anyone been able to help their thyroid problems naturally
    i came off levothyroxine 6 months ago as it was causing my hair to go really thin. my doctor isnt very helpful but is monitoring me every 3 months so need some help from you guys

Hello...

Many people will tell you it's hogwash...BUT..I'm on Armour Thyroid...Look it up...It's made from the intestine on a pig...I had really BAD night sweats and hot flashes...After being three months on the Armour EVERYTHING went away!...I've been fine ever since...I hope this might have helped! :smile:
    Debbie~~
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My sister also was able to go off meds after a period of time on armour. I've heard it can "kickstart" your thyroid. I've been on it a few months and am now lowering my dose... I love the stuff so far!
  • BlueEyez117
    Options
    I have never been on Armour but I know tons of people who are, all of my doctor's wouldn't put me on it (I think because I had cancer and mine was removed) and everyone has had great results! As a non user - with friends on it - I highly recommend it!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You can find doctors who prescribe Armour -- just a little harder!! Here's some tips on finding a doc to help you go natural:
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/how-to-find-a-good-doc/

I found one, switched to Armour after 15 years on Synthroid -- and I am so happy I did.

Terri
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm on Armour also... and I was on Synthroid.. HATED IT! I have been able to drop my dosage in 1/2 by going Gluten Free and the weight is FINALLY coming off.

I have NEVER heard of anyone CURING a Thyroid issue? I have heard that there are people that have a temporary thyroid issue after a tramatic situation
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm on Armour also... and I was on Synthroid.. HATED IT! I have been able to drop my dosage in 1/2 by going Gluten Free and the weight is FINALLY coming off.

I have NEVER heard of anyone CURING a Thyroid issue? I have heard that there are people that have a temporary thyroid issue after a tramatic situation

I have also gone gluten free and just dropped my dosage by a 1/3... My doctors think I am celiac, but in order to test I would have to eat gluten for three weeks. And after one night of pizza, I don't think I want to do that.

But I find eating gluten free makes me eat much healthier. When there isn't an option of grabbing the quick snacks I go with fruit!
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    So, from your note here. The Drs would not put you on Armour because it is a hormone? I'm so glad I saw this. My mother got cancer after she took hormones, so I want to avoid them too.
    I have never been on Armour but I know tons of people who are, all of my doctor's wouldn't put me on it (I think because I had cancer and mine was removed) and everyone has had great results! As a non user - with friends on it - I highly recommend it!
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Definition
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is a condition in which your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of certain important hormones.

Women, especially those older than age 50, are more likely to have hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism upsets the normal balance of chemical reactions in your body. It seldom causes symptoms in the early stages, but, over time, untreated hypothyroidism can cause a number of health problems, such as obesity, joint pain, infertility and heart disease.

So I'm a little confused by the above statement by Debbylee22

You can see more here http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/DS00353
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Definition
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is a condition in which your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of certain important hormones.

Women, especially those older than age 50, are more likely to have hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism upsets the normal balance of chemical reactions in your body. It seldom causes symptoms in the early stages, but, over time, untreated hypothyroidism can cause a number of health problems, such as obesity, joint pain, infertility and heart disease.

So I'm a little confused by the above statement by Debbylee22

You can see more here http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/DS00353

Mayo Clinic is in the Dark Ages when it comes to hypothyroidism as are most M.D.s and Endos. Doctors have been spouting the same ridiculous crap for years -- read about it on www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

I know Mayo is wonderful for difficult surgeries, etc. but they don't know doodoo about hypothyroidism. Their website also says that synthetic T4 is the only treatment -- but there are dozens if not more people just on this little forum who were miserable on synthetic T4 and are blossoming on Natural Thyroid.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    By the way -- to the OP -- I have heard of some people actually healing thyroid dysfunction with acupuncture. My Naturopath is an acupuncturist and I am positive if he thought it would help me he would have recommended it -- I will ask him next time I go in -- but I think acupuncture might only help if the problem is caught early?? not sure -- but other than natural dessicated thyroid and acupuncture, I'm not sure there's any other natural remedies.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'd love to know. It'd be great if there were a way to deal with this naturally. But I do appreciate my Armour thyroid.

Debbylee - artifical hormones, as in synthetic, lab-created versions are usually a concern as far as being carcinogenic. To my knowledge, I'm not sure that the natural thyroid hormone as in the porcine thyroid that's in Armour is linked with cancer. I don't know - does anyone have any info. on that? I realize that's a different topic than the OP, but I don't want anyone to walk away thinking that Armour thyroid leads to cancer. At least, am I understanding that's what you're saying? I might have misread that?
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Armour is all natural T3 and T4. Synthroid is all synthetic T4. Armour doesn't cause cancer -- I don't think Synthroid does either -- but it's about getting relief from symptoms - which Synthroid doesn't do.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    By the way -- to the OP -- I have heard of some people actually healing thyroid dysfunction with acupuncture. My Naturopath is an acupuncturist and I am positive if he thought it would help me he would have recommended it -- I will ask him next time I go in -- but I think acupuncture might only help if the problem is caught early?? not sure -- but other than natural dessicated thyroid and acupuncture, I'm not sure there's any other natural remedies.

I would love to try acupuncture sometime. I had a consultation when I was struggling with infertility (due to my as of then undiagnosed hypothyroidism), but because of my schedule and there being only one practitioner in my area I couldn't get into her. But someday when my schedule opens up I might try it and see if it helps.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers. I'll have to research it. :-)
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I would love to try acupuncture sometime. I had a consultation when I was struggling with infertility (due to my as of then undiagnosed hypothyroidism), but because of my schedule and there being only one practitioner in my area I couldn't get into her. But someday when my schedule opens up I might try it and see if it helps.

A very dear friend of mine became pregnant after acupuncture -- she had struggled with infertility for a long time and was 40 years old -- tick tock -- and it worked!! I think she went for about 3 months... once a week.
  • Wisewoman888
    Wisewoman888 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Melissa and I've just joined MFP and this group. I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism but funnily enough NOT via doctors and endocrinologists (however I did use all these routes to try and find out WHY I felt so awful!), but via my Naturopath. He told me on my first meeting and through iridology. He put me onto Herbs specific for this as well as boosting my pituitary gland and the panic attacks have pretty much gone, my weight is slowly going and I feel SOOOOOO much better! I highly recommend going down the natural path as your body responds gently not radically like with meds. This has been 3months now and I wouldn't look back!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

A very dear friend of mine became pregnant after acupuncture -- she had struggled with infertility for a long time and was 40 years old -- tick tock -- and it worked!! I think she went for about 3 months... once a week.

Oh hurray for your friend! Struggling with conceiving sucks. Once I was on my Armour thyroid for two months we had a successful pregnancy, but I would've loved to try the acupuncture route first. With my home daycare I'm pretty much tied down to my house five days a week!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Hi, I'm Melissa and I've just joined MFP and this group. I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism but funnily enough NOT via doctors and endocrinologists (however I did use all these routes to try and find out WHY I felt so awful!), but via my Naturopath. He told me on my first meeting and through iridology. He put me onto Herbs specific for this as well as boosting my pituitary gland and the panic attacks have pretty much gone, my weight is slowly going and I feel SOOOOOO much better! I highly recommend going down the natural path as your body responds gently not radically like with meds. This has been 3months now and I wouldn't look back!

I would absolutely go that route if our state licensed naturopaths. Grrrr...If we ever live where we have access to one, both hubby and I will be there - me for my thyroid and hormone issues and him for his ADHD!
  • Wisewoman888
    Wisewoman888 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely go that route if our state licensed naturopaths. Grrrr...If we ever live where we have access to one, both hubby and I will be there - me for my thyroid and hormone issues and him for his ADHD!
    [/quote]

Wow! They don't license them? I guess living in Australia is a good thing! The main herb he's put me on is kelp. You can buy kelp powder and use it as a salt substitute, be careful though, it can taste very fishy!!! And it can be very grainy!
    However, google this and coconut oil/butter for thyroid help. I've just started using the butters as they claim they have major belly fat burning ability as well as a host of other benefits including thyroid function! And they're yummo!
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    A friend recommended this to me and I've been taking 3 Tablespoons of organic virgin coconut oil, and it has been helping. If you have never used coconut oil before, you need to work up to the 3 Tablespoons or you could end up with intestinal distress (diareah). You can google coconut oil and thyroid and find quite a bit of information about it. It has given my thyroid a kick so that I have more energy and my weight has finally started to come off.