Books to read

Options
mehaugen
mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
I would like to give my family members some information on the paleo diet. However, they are very religious, so I am looking for a book that does not "focus" on evolution (like Sisson's). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Replies

• Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    They are not primal or paleo, per se... but books like Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat and What to do About It by Gary Taubes and Wheat Belly by William Davis are really great at explaining the science/ nutrition tied into what's behind diets/lifestyles like the primal and paleo diets. They're more of an angle like "this is how human bodies work and how they deal with what kinds of food" rather than "we evolved from primitive man to eat this kind of food". Might be a good starting point for people turned off by the focus on "evolution". My mom's sister is wife to an Evangelical minister and she's read all three of those books at my mother's suggestion and didn't mention being offended by any of them :)
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Thanks.
  • hollyannmarshall
    hollyannmarshall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why We Get Fat is great and simple. Also Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I so agree. Why We Get Fat is such a good book that I'm tempted to re-read it again. Just read it last month and it's what encouraged me to try this whole ketosis thing. So far, so good.
  • DiscoGirl999
    Options
    I came to this via 'Escape the Diet Trap' by Dr John Briffa. He barley mentions paleo/primal - his angle is to debunk conventional thinking via evidence. A very accessible read!