Plateau?

Options
Been on about a 1100 to 1200 calories a day for about 3 weeks though I have not been exercising. It's working WONDERS! I'm wondering if anyone has hit a plateau with their diet? When has it happened during their diet and what they have done to work past it. Thank you!

Replies

• ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have only been at this weight loss thing for six or seven weeks and so far I haven't hit a plateau, although the weight loss is now only coming off at about a lb. a week which is still not bad (I am impatient). I am currently eating 1000 to 1100 calories a day and I am not doing any cardio, although I am gradually starting a bit of weight training at home with dumbbells (I am starting very slowly as I am 61 years old and have never done any resistance training in my life).

If and when I do reach a plateau (which is apparently almost inevitable for most people when dieting, no matter how large or small their calorie deficit) I will likely either ride it out for a while or try something different. I have heard some people are successful using calorie cycling (keeping at a certain average number of calories in any given week but varying them more from one day to the next. For example, if maintaining a 1200 calories a day average [8400 (1200 x 7) per week] you could try eating say 1400 calories one day, 1000 calories another day, 1300 another day, 1100 the next, etc. Some others may take a mini rest for a week or two or more and start eating at or just a little below maintenance before again resuming calorie restriction. Some people also might vary their exercise a little (exercise more or exercise less).

I guess I'll deal with it when the time comes. I do not envy anyone who gets stuck in a plateau for a long time and can't seem to break it, but apparently plateaus can be pretty stubborn sometimes.
  • danikiz
    danikiz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I thought plateau happened when your body gets used to what you're doing, so I agree with Colleen in that you must mix it up!

Change your exercises between cardio, strength training, yoga. Don't keep doing the same thing.

I would imagine the calorie cycling works as well, but I've never tried it.

The point is to trick your body into thinking it needs to keep losing weight because you're not "comfortable." The second your body thinks it's comfortable with what you're doing, it'll stop losing.

I've been going for running with a little yoga added on and low cals.
    When I start to plateau I'll probably add in strength training into the mix and maybe delve into P90x land...