PCOS Frustration?

Options
Hey guys,

Any one will PCOS will know it’s hard to lose weight.

Recently I have been feeling a tad frustrated/angry. I know we all slip up from time to time and are not all perfect but for over a year I would say I have worked damn hard at this losing weight thing and I am proud of my achievement don’t get me wrong. But I see all these people putting the same effort in as me and losing WAY more than me. At my weight and height I feel I should be losing faster than I am.

Is this PCOS or do I need to try harder I really don’t feel like I can. Is PCOS slowing me down or is it just an excuse. I don’t want to cut our carbs completely because then as soon as I eat any I will put any weight loss straight back on again. I think it’s sensible to have something from all food groups and not restrict one or more form your diet. I do try to cut down on them a bit though.

Anyone out there with PCOS with similar story or any advice. Please help.

Thanks

Pink xxxx

Replies

• annamolly22
    Options
    PCOS could definitely be what is slowing you down. I understand how you feel completely. I was 18 when I was diagnosed with PCOS, and I lived in denial and ignored it for too long, but recently I started to research it a lot. I was about 200lbs when I was diagnosed (my heaviest) and over the course of year I dropped down to 155, but then I completely fell off the wagon. I jumped up to 180, and I was so mad at myself because it took so much work and time to lose weight in the first place. I'm trying to arm myself with info on PCOS now and lose the weight, and keep it off! I'm down to 169 and I'm determined to not lose control again. Especially because I want to have a baby soon.

I'd recommend reading "What Nurses Know...PCOS" by Karen Roush. It's super informative, but doesn't read like a textbook. I really liked it because it went in depth about what realistic alterations can be made to your diet to help control the syndrome. It also has a lot of anecdotes about real women who also struggle with the syndrome.
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I'm very athletic and I've only lost 12 pounds since last September. 4 weeks ago I started to really go at diet and fitness as well, working out 6 times a week and running about 12 miles in said week- Haven't lost a pound. It's very discouraging. I'm 179 right now, and haven't been 155 since I was about 17 (I'm 21 right now). I would honestly be happy just getting back in the 160's because I could still wear a bikini! lol. I seriously believe it's the PCOS because I work very hard, and a friend of mine without PCOS (who is great with her diet, but less exercise than me), just drops a pound every 2 seconds! Just hang in there, it will all pay off eventually, and atleast you are fighting instead of giving in! Love yourself for who you are and all your hardwork is going to keep you from getting too out of hand with your body.
  • auntamama
    auntamama Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, Very hard. I have struggled with loosing for such a long time and didn't know why when I was counting calories and working out 2 hours a day I was having very little results. I did this for about 9 months last year and lost 8 pounds. Very frustrating. Now I have been diagnosed and know why its been so hard. It was very discouraging to know this, but I am starting to find on here success stories with PCOS, and this is very encouraging. Just trying to take it one day at a time.
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Where can I find some of these success stories? I'm having a sad/frustrated day and need a boost. I can't follow my own advice today lol
  • Julibug86
    Julibug86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The worst is joining a Biggest Loser challenge with friends or co-workers! Consistently eating less and exercising way more than others (not to mention, 20 years younger than some co-workers), yet I can't seem to ever lose as much as they do! My sister also has PCOS so we are in this together, but lately I feel like we are both losing patience/motivation. It's incredibly frustrating to work so hard and not see the encouraging results. I've lost 9 lbs in a year...it's a slow and steady mission.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, Very hard. I have struggled with loosing for such a long time and didn't know why when I was counting calories and working out 2 hours a day I was having very little results. I did this for about 9 months last year and lost 8 pounds. Very frustrating. Now I have been diagnosed and know why its been so hard. It was very discouraging to know this, but I am starting to find on here success stories with PCOS, and this is very encouraging. Just trying to take it one day at a time.

This was exactly what happen to me. I join a gym got a trainer worked out 2-3 times with her a week and worked out 2 hours a day w/out her. I had women at the gym I worked out with all drop 20-25 pounds and I sat as 6 pounds! After 2.5 months of this crap I stopped going to the gym when my trainer called me a liar! I was DONE with that crap!

There are many other issues PCOS causes other then weight gain, every women is different and its hard to say do this formula and it will work. After all my tests came back that I was "fine" nothing wrong was a OB saying well try a low carb diet and see how that works... call me in 3 months let me know. I cut out my carbs to 40 grams still felt like crap cuz of the Insulin resistance ended up cutting my carbs down to 20 and that is "my magic number." I know a couple women who can eat 40-60 carbs a day and still lose weight. I can't lose weight if my carbs are above 40g - but when i eat that many i feel like crap.

I should add that since I stopped the diet my trainer put me on I have lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks going low carb. I cant wait to just "pop" into the gym again and be like BAM ;) told you there was something wrong! so worth it!
  • MrsH2132012
    MrsH2132012 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Where can I find some of these success stories? I'm having a sad/frustrated day and need a boost. I can't follow my own advice today lol

There are a few here:
    http://theweighwewere.com/?s=PCOS

& Cyster Dawn just joined PriorFatGirl, follow her journey http://www.priorfatgirl.com/category/other-priorfatgirls/dawn

&& http://pcosandweightlossstory.blogspot.com
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Hey I just want to thank you all for being there for me. How have you guys found the last month or so? xxxx
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thank you al that have posted on here. I have really had a bad few weeks with wanting to give up. I haven't lost anything since January and thats with three times a week at the gym plus Zumba once a week and hour long walks with a friend 2 or 3 time a week...nothing. I was actually finding the success stories depressing with the I've lost 30lbs since January ect stuff.