thoughts on dehydrating for a show?

Options
bry_all01
bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
I didn't do this for my first competition and won't be doing it for future shows, either, but I am open to hearing others thoughts on this, as I met plenty of girls at my competition who went 3 days or more with no water or any substitution to drink.

Before my show I had read and heard so many mixed reviews that I did what I felt was a happy medium. I cut back on, not out of water only for 2 days before.

What have you done water-wise to prep for a show? Would you recommend your way, or another for future first time competitors?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Interested in this. What about those diuretic pills? Wouldn't that be better to use instead of no fluids?
  • bry_all01
    Options
    Interested in this. What about those diuretic pills? Wouldn't that be better to use instead of no fluids?

I can't say for 110%, because I've never met anyone this happened to, but I've "heard" those are far worse and have killed people.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've had some kidney, urinary, and bladder issues in the past that causes serious issues if I'm dehydrated, so that's not really an option for me.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    As for dehydrating to get more cut, leave that to the body builders. There is absolutely no need for that in a fitness competition.

Performers need to stay hydrated, but it's normal to actually not drink enough water the day of the competition due to the stress and time. (All it takes is one day of not getting enough water to become dehydrated). Your body will function its best when hydrated, so you need to figure out how to handle being at your optimum hydration levels with out having the nerves ruin your ability to perform without thinking of making a run for the loo. If your nerves give you the gotta go feeling (expect it) you shouldn't be worried if you were just "not thirsty" 10 minutes prior to the performance. Everyone gets that feeling. Your back up plan should be to Kegle. Become a master of kegle.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    As for dehydrating to get more cut, leave that to the body builders. There is absolutely no need for that in a fitness competition.

Performers need to stay hydrated, but it's normal to actually not drink enough water the day of the competition due to the stress and time. (All it takes is one day of not getting enough water to become dehydrated). Your body will function its best when hydrated, so you need to figure out how to handle being at your optimum hydration levels with out having the nerves ruin your ability to perform without thinking of making a run for the loo. If your nerves give you the gotta go feeling (expect it) you shouldn't be worried if you were just "not thirsty" 10 minutes prior to the performance. Everyone gets that feeling. Your back up plan should be to Kegle. Become a master of kegle.

I drank all day, just not as much as a normal day. I think its hooey to do it at all, personally. I have bodybuilder friends who have also very much frowned on dehydration for anyone. One is a friend on here who said he chugged water all day and won his pro card.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings on it. I can see reducing water to minimal on the day of the show, but leading up to it, it's going to be the nutrients that count, especially sodium and potassium balance.
  • cclaborn22
    Options

Many female competitors (figure) took these at my recent competition, and some girls on my team did as well. Not knowing how my body would react, and the preference to be a natural competitor I didn't take these. I did notice a "dry" and more cut look to the competitors who took them.

I think water depletion is per individual. Personally, the week leading up to my competition I had been consistent with at least 1.5-2gallons of water a day. The Wednesday before the show I drank a gallon, Thursday 3/4 of a gallon, Friday 1/2 gallon, and Saturday sips of water before I stood on stage. I also started with distilled water on Wednesday before the show. When I was on stage I had slight water on my muscles, but I still placed so I'm definitely not complaining.

I agree that we function way better staying hydrated. I would say take really good notes about how your body looks/reacts to your water consumption before the show and make adjustments where necessary.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I dehydrated for both shows, but not as much as other women I know who compete- I didn't want to feel nauesous/lightheaded/faint on the stage or between the morning and evening shows! In training the 12 weeks before the show I drank 1 or more gallons of water a day. On the week of both my shows this is what I did: (similar to cclaborn)

Mon-Wed: 1.5-2 gallons of water/day
    Thursday: 1 gallon of water (no more than that)
    Friday: 1/2 gallon of water (again, no more than that)
    Saturday (aka show day): drank sparingly, sipping as needed (averaged about 2-3 glasses of water between waking and 7pm, then had a good 5-7 servings of water before bed)

I also took Xpel 3x a day wednesday-friday and once saturday morning. Again, some girls started dehydrating as early as a week before the comp, but I thought that was too much, especially since I was still training pretty heavily until wednesday before the show. (I only went for a short walk thursday and took off completely friday so I could let my muscles rest and also not get too dehydrated). The day of the comp I actually ate a LOT of food to fill up my muscles and prevent them from looking flat from the dehydration. (2 meals and 1 snack before the morning show, and the same before the evening show). I know it varies per person, but I hope that sharing this helps!! :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that if you don't look ready for the show at 3 days out, no amount of dehydrating will make you look that much better.
    It may change physique by 1% at most. I've seen the good and bad of it, but it's a trial and error thing and if falls in error, it could be dangerous as there have been people that have severely dehydrated and died.
    Momo Benaziza and Andreas Munzer (two good bodybuilders) died within a day or so after a competition. Paul Dillett had cramps on stage while posing, fell to the floor and seized up all over his body cramping. Took 5 guys to carry him off.
    So it's a very fine line.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I am amazed by all this info, I'm learning so much! Thank you all for sharing!
  • mandyspark
    Options
    I read about a girl who passed out on stage after a bad reaction to a diuretic :(
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I read about a girl who passed out on stage after a bad reaction to a diuretic :(

my trainer told me about people who DIED diuretics. Um, no thanks....
  • mandyspark
    Options
    If I worked my a** off to prep for a show and passed out or got sick due to a diuretic I would never get over it- if you can do without it, don't even try
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I'm going to give sodium and water depletion a shot before the seminar to see how my body responds. Such a learning process!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Ok well I waterload for a week prior to competition, so if show is on Sunday, sat I have 7lt water, 6 on Fri, 5 on thu, 4 wed, 3 tuesday.....2 is my base anyway!
    On the saturday we finish our water at about 5pm, then we take a herbal duretic before bed, then another at midnight, followed by another 2 apon waking and a double shot of expresso.......we can have 30ml of water with every meal, before shown and about 2 hrs out we take another duretic!! These are all heral duretics! Works well for me :)
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Ok well I waterload for a week prior to competition, so if show is on Sunday, sat I have 7lt water, 6 on Fri, 5 on thu, 4 wed, 3 tuesday.....2 is my base anyway!
    On the saturday we finish our water at about 5pm, then we take a herbal duretic before bed, then another at midnight, followed by another 2 apon waking and a double shot of expresso.......we can have 30ml of water with every meal, before shown and about 2 hrs out we take another duretic!! These are all heral duretics! Works well for me :)

The duretics contain celery/juniper and merigold on comp day we take expel