end of week 1

Options
jenbunboo
jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
I just finished week 1, and I'm totally psyched. I know, I know, it was only week 1. It wasn't week 5. It wasn't even week 3. But, me, who always had to rerun the mile in gym class twice before just being given a low mark on it because the teacher didn't want to stay after school again, me, who dreamed of competing in the elementary school field and track get together in my district but got teased for even bothering to try, me, who has never wanted to give cardio a serious go because just putting on some muscle burns more calories in the long run, and thats what I'm trying to do, right...me, I finished week 1. Yup, pretty proud of myself.

For those of you who haven't started yet, just do it! Sure, on the first day you'll hit the halfway point in your first jog minute and think "home isn't too far back". You'll wonder why you bothered, but just keep going. About 15 seconds later your legs will tell you this is a bad idea. It isn't, just keep going. You may tap out early on some of the later jog sections, I even skipped the last minute of jogging, because I was pretty much beat. Day two, I only dropped out on the last 15 seconds of the last jog, I didn't realize it was the last one and felt bad about it until I got the "one minute left" message from the nice lady on my phone. Today, I was waiting for the "just stop" feeling, and it didn't come! I was only dreading that I might have one more to go as I was looking across the street at the massive hill between me and home, but I had all the jogging out of the way.

So, I'm 3 days of jogging down, and next week scared me for a moment. 90 seconds of jogging? 90 seconds!? I don't think I've done that since...ever. 2 minutes of walking? Oh, that's pie. All right. I can do this.

I've walked on my off days, which is still good for my cardio as I live in a valley, surrounded by valleys. Everywhere is uphill around this neck of the woods.

Things I've learned this week:

1) Dead snakes are creepy.
2) Stretching is necessary.
3) Dogs are very curious about you, but generally just seem to want to say hi.
4) Old folks and school bus drivers wave at me more than young folks.
5) There is WAY too much poison ivy around here. I dread the day I have to get off the road when a car is coming.
6) I have NO idea what I'm going to do when it rains, this is too much fun to stop.
7) I CAN DO THIS!

Replies

• clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    so awesome! I should finish week 1 this weekend. I love the 7th thing you learned. We can do this! :D
  • bcereuskk
    bcereuskk Posts: 33
    Options
    I just finished week one yesterday and I think I could have written your post. I'm so scared but ready for the 90 seconds. I think the best advice some one gave me is to jog slow if you need to. I've also told all my coworkers (many of whom are runners) that I'm doing it. It helps because they always ask how I'm doing and I have too much pride to be a quitter. Happy week 2!
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing week 1! I am almost finished with week 3-- seriously, it's not nearly as bad as I'd anticipated. I found that I can jog for 3 minutes without stopping! :glasses: Pretty proud of how far I've come-- and you should be, too!
  • jenbunboo
    Options
    Thanks guys, it feels small and huge to me all at the same time. Congratulations to my fellow noobs, and everybody trotting in the distance!
  • MrsSamB
    MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Me and a friend of mine just finished week 1 today. We did it in my neighborhood. Usually, we do our c25k separately on treadmills. We ended feeling so accomplished and ready for week 2.
  • jenbunboo
    Options
    Awesome! Good for you!